U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:54 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,756,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I have to fly the BS flag here.

Air France just dropped their fuel surcharges because of decreased fuel costs over the last quarter. I get the fees and charges when oil is $150, but it's now lower than its been in nearly six months.

Smells more like piling on than anything else.
You are comparing apples to oranges.

The fuel that we are burning today was purchased last Spring when the prices were the highest. The money we used was from tickets bought last Winter at lower prices. The prices have to remain high to make up for losses that we already paid for.

Don't forget that AirFrance is subsidized by the French Government, and the Euro is much stronger than the U.S. dollar. Fuel is more affordable to them right now.
U.S. based airlines get no Government subsidy. We are on our own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 09:41 PM

45 posts, read 132,110 times
Default call it like i see it

Can I call BS here????

I travel for business and pleasure quite often. I want to pay for my ticket and let that be the end of it.

I could care less that we do not get free snacks on the plane. What I do care about is paying for my ticket and not having to pay extra for baggage at the airport when I check in. Raise the ticket if you must in the name of staying in business but charging for baggage is just crazy.

Since I have been in Dallas I have been loyal to American airlines, but what other choice do I really have??? I travel around the country and they are the only game in town for cashing in miles to go to Europe. SWA can not get me to Paris. In fact SWA can not get me to most places I need to be non stop.

And since I am ranting can you explain to me why the airlines need to play games with ticket prices? There should be one price for buying 1-3 months out, another price for 1 month to two weeks out, and 2 weeks to to 2 days out and finaly a ticket price for the day of. If they would stop playing games then they really would get more loyalty passengers.

I basically shop around and get my ticket for the best price I can. I search around and then just gamble on Priceline or hotwire and then I still end up on American anyway at a cheaper cost. If the airlines quit playing games with our money and used a tier pricing structure they could put priceline and hotwire out of business, but they are too stupid to do so.

I just got back from Chicago last week on American and the return flight was dang near empty. All I kept thinking about was how many people in Dallas I knew that wanted to go to Chicago that weekend but the fares were 300-400 and above. Just plain outrageous. So the plane flew empty when it ccould have been full. High prices mean less leisure travelers and less money for the carriers. Not to mention that the two of us packed everything in one bag so we wouldnt have to pay for additional luggage.

and before anyone says that I just should shut up and drive.......at the cost of gas nowadays it was still cheaper to fly. I did the math and it just wasnt even worth it on this trip. However, I do have severalo business trips that I just drive 3 hours instead of flying because a tank of gas is still cheaper than a $250 plane ticket.

just my 2 cents on the matter...

Old 09-07-2008, 11:00 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,302,908 times
^^^
Business travelers really are at the mercy of the legacy airlines. Good thing my husband's work pays for the flights! He is traveling to Seattle this week on United and his r/t ticket is $470!!!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,075 posts, read 1,835,583 times
Default Starting to-day it's official - $30 for round trip first bag

Inside how bags are handled in EWR NorthJersey.com: Where the bags go (http://www.northjersey.com/business/news/Where_the_bags_go.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or