U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,072 posts, read 1,833,977 times

Advertisements

Continental to charge $15 for 1st checked bag - Breaking News From New Jersey - NJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,918,762 times
Airlines are operating on such a small shoestring these days that they really dont have much choice but to nickle and dime people. Because of such competition between carriers (a $5 difference often decides which airline gets the business on a $400 ticket!), we all have had to resort to these lousy tactics. Employees have taken HUGE pay and benefit cuts. THey can't get more from us so they look for other ways to increase revenues.

The oil crisis will put more of us out of business yet and that is bad for the flying public. With fewer and fewer airlines around, the ones left will be the only games in town and will freely be able to control the prices...and you know they will go nowhere but up.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,096,185 times
I have to fly the BS flag here.

Air France just dropped their fuel surcharges because of decreased fuel costs over the last quarter. I get the fees and charges when oil is $150, but it's now lower than its been in nearly six months.

Smells more like piling on than anything else.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:25 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,327,787 times
I read that and given the fact that I have had nothing but superb service from Continental a couple of times this summer, I am a bit disappointed. However, given the high costs of operating an airline, this was probably inevitable at some point. I'll still continue to use them.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:26 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,327,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Airlines are operating on such a small shoestring these days that they really dont have much choice but to nickle and dime people. Because of such competition between carriers (a $5 difference often decides which airline gets the business on a $400 ticket!), we all have had to resort to these lousy tactics. Employees have taken HUGE pay and benefit cuts. THey can't get more from us so they look for other ways to increase revenues.

The oil crisis will put more of us out of business yet and that is bad for the flying public. With fewer and fewer airlines around, the ones left will be the only games in town and will freely be able to control the prices...and you know they will go nowhere but up.

I agree..

Old 09-05-2008, 07:36 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,375,369 times
Unless it's absolutely, positively required, EVERYONE should just STOP FLYING!!!!! That'd put a stop to this crap pretty quickly! I mean, they give you about 1 ft. of linear space per person, no luggage, no food, cancel or change your flight with impunity....it's ridiculous! If you don't HAVE to fly--just DON'T!!!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Hey CB at Sea.....right. Dont fly. Please. With that attitude, those of us who fly for a living will be happier if you do not come on and complain to us endlessly. We as flight crew have absolutely NOTHING to do with corporate policy regarding fees, yet we are the ones who take the full brunt of your ire. Yes, please...stay home or drive.

To the rest of you travelers, welcome aboard. We will sincerely try to make it a nice experience. At least I do...I actually LIKE my passengers and I care about their comfort and enjoyment of the trip.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:57 PM
rfb

1,889 posts, read 5,184,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Then why not just raise the price of a ticket to make it cover costs? I don't mind the airlines earning enough to cover their expenses, but hate how they continue to try to hide the cost of a ticket with all these extra fees. I'd much rather know up front what I'm paying than be surprised when I start packing or when I get to the airport.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 PM

Here is the problem, RFB. It sure does make sense to raise the prices. However, if one brave airline tries to raise prices ..even by as little as $5 or $10...the other airlines do not. Then, as I said in an earlier post, passengers go on Orbitz or Travelocity or you name it and the passenger invariably chooses the one that is cheapest. its sort of a game of chicken with the airlines...but the end game is pretty darned serious. Unfortunately, its a no win situation without these added charges. We truly hate it too as employees.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:07 AM

983 posts, read 4,097,706 times
I say I am still getting what I pay for and that is a flight from point A to point B. So what if I don't get free pretzels or crackers, or have to pay an extra $15 to check my bag. It's just business people and any business has to do whatever it takes to stay afloat. You think the grocery stores have not raised prices? Have you seen the price of eggs or milk lately?

So what's the solution? For a major carrier to fold and put thousands of people outta work and on the unemployment lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or