U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 AM

115 posts, read 403,902 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to take my parents for a visit in middle of October. Can anyone recommend a hotel? Any suggestions on where to go? Is it necessary to rent a car? What is the weather like during that time? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,552,588 times
Ohboy ohboy!! Van has some of the best restaurants on the planet!

The reason you haven't had any replies is because you should post in the Canada forum.

I have some suggestions. Van isn't inexpensive, as you may know. So you might consider a B&B in west Van -- lovely atmosphere, usually a house that's a century or more old, and hosts who are gracious, smart and interesting. That's been my experience.

This link is to the best collection of travel advice -- real travelers reporting their real impressions. TripAdvisor dot com. This will open to the Vancouver B.C. overview page, with everything you'll need in the left column:
Vancouver Tourism - Vancouver Vacation Reviews - Vancouver Vacations - TripAdvisor
and the accommodations page:
Vancouver Hotels: Read Vancouver Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor

I strongly recommend staying in west Vancouver. It's pretty, gentle, convenient to just about everything that you'll be interested in. Be sure to Google for Vancouver BC tourism to gather info.

Don't rent a car -- you won't be able to park anyway as the city ordinances about parking are extremely strict. The public bus system is wonderful, and takes you most everywhere. The Yellow Cab/Black Top (one company) will come and pick you up anywhere and take you anywhere; not inexpensive, but clean, comfortable, and the drivers are polite and know everything about where they're going (like London cabbies).

For weather, check Weather.com. It's cool and possibly drizzly, possibly sunny, possibly cloudy, possibly rainy, probably all of the above. I live in Seattle -- Pacific maritime weather is unpredictable. You won't need special rain footwear, so just pack a foldable umbrella and whatever you want for "cool" weather.

If you love authentic Japanese food, I strongly recommend my own two favorite Japanese restaurants: Toshi's, and Aki. Perfect Japanese food.

Have a wonderful adventure in Vancouver!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 12,510,450 times
I stayed at the Best Western Downtown Vancouver just recently and it was great.

It did rain for the whole duration of my stay (well except the day I was flying out which was gloriously sunny! ) but the hotel had kindly put an umbrella in the closet for me to use while I was in town.

I didn't get to see a lot of the city but I did take the Vancouver Trolley tour and managed to get to Stanley Park and the Vancouver Aquarium. I would thoroughly recommend the trolley and the Aquarium but be very sure when you get off the trolley that you know where the next pick up stop is because they're not easy to find in Stanley Park. Stanley Park is just beautiful and a must see.

Anyway it's a great city, what I saw of it. I'm sure, regardless of the rain, you'll have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or