U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 07:00 PM

28,202 posts, read 47,597,148 times

Advertisements

What do you think about this motorhome. Is a good deal or not?

1996 32' Allegro Motorhome. 454, Auto. 61,000 miles. Rebuilt title, but not wrecked. Wiring harness shorted out and burnt some wiring but has since been repaired. 7,000 watt Onan generator, tv, 2 a/c units. New michelins, new roof. $10,500.00

Thanks, John

Last edited by John1960; 02-22-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,286,390 times
We own an RV. Our first was a 1996 Winnebago Adventure and we moved up in 2005 to a new luxurious Beaver Santiam. RVing is a ton of fun but it requires an outgoing and patient personality. I'm not sure I would buy an RV that old just because after 10 years they start falling more and more apart. Our Winnebago was getting costly in repairs toward the end. RVs also fall apart more than cars so don't expect perfection. Allegro is a decent brand, but not in the same league as Winnebago, Tiffin, or Monaco which are essentially the "Toyotas and Hondas" of RVs for reliabilty.

Also, the one thing that is glaring at me is the cargo area of the RV. We are a family of five so have a lot of stuff to pack, but those underneath storage areas are pathetically small. We could never survive with those. We are constantly throwing coolers, skis, snowboards, surfboards, chairs, outdoor rugs, fishing poles, etc.... under the RV and those cargo bays would not fit most of those. Instead you will end up with outdoor chairs banging around the inside of the RV.

Price actually seems pretty reasonable and the new roof and tires are a plus. Our replacement tires on our old Winnebago were expensive! It isn't a bad RV and is priced pretty well so if this is you favorite of all your options, go for it. The biggest thing to me is the cargo bays, but it depends on how big your family is and what you pack.

I highly recommend rv.net. The Open Roads Forum has thousands of RVers who are experts and I guarantee you will get at least twenty replies you own people with that VERY RV make and year. They were very helpful in our most recent purchase of the Beaver Coach.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 AM

Hi, Thanks for the information. I'm just wondering if the rebuilt title could be a problem with getting insurance.

John

Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,421,440 times
The price seems almost too good. I'd want to know some detail about why the unit required a new roof after 12 years. Someone run into a low bridge?

The insurance question is easily answered: simply call your auto insurance agent and ask.

If you buy that beast, be prepared for some sticker shock when you pull into the gas station.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:18 AM

Hi, I found out that Farm Bureau insurance will give me full coverage on a rebuilt title motorhome here in Tennessee. Tennessee will also give full insurance on cars and trucks the have a rebuilt title. What weird about this nobody has bought this motorhome yet and I'm wondering why.

John

Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM

3,694 posts, read 3,286,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Allegro is a decent brand, but not in the same league as Winnebago, Tiffin, or Monaco which are essentially the "Toyotas and Hondas" of RVs for reliabilty.
Allegro is made by Tiffin. Tiffin make the Allegro, Allegro Bay, Allegro Bus as well as a Phaeton and Zephyr. We have had both a Monaco product (fifth wheel) and currently own a Tiffin Phaeton and have been more than pleased with both. I'd recommend going to NADA.com and doing a model search which will give you both wholesale and retail costs on the unit. It can be very helpful when dealing.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:00 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,286,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Allegro is made by Tiffin. Tiffin make the Allegro, Allegro Bay, Allegro Bus as well as a Phaeton and Zephyr. We have had both a Monaco product (fifth wheel) and currently own a Tiffin Phaeton and have been more than pleased with both. I'd recommend going to NADA.com and doing a model search which will give you both wholesale and retail costs on the unit. It can be very helpful when dealing.
I am such an idot!!!! I feel so bad. When I wrote my post, I was confusing the Allegro with the Aerbus by Rexhall. They look sort of the same too so that confused me more. Yes, I remember now that Allegro is made by Tiffin, a great brand and your post confirms the many many great reviews I have heard of that brand.
Sorry for the confusion!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:53 PM

14,220 posts, read 44,878,144 times
I would want to take a *really* good look at the wiring repairs. Me and about 2 other guys in the country will take the time to splice in wires using solder, and re-insulate with heat-shrink. Everyone else uses Scotch Loks, wire-nuts, various crimp-on crap, and wraps up with a wad of electrical tape.(or whatever black tape falls to hand).

I didn't do the repair on this one. Hope one of the 2 other guys did...

In all seriousness, a motor home is a tough sell in a world of $4 per gallon fuel - I'd bargain hard. If no one but you seems to want it, that may be a warning sign.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:07 AM

This motorhome is at this website below and I've changed my mind about buying it because it's more then I would ever need. I need a 21 foot traveling trailer for one person only. I would only want to live in this for year or so.

Go LSN - 32' Allegro Motorhome in Crossville, TN #518447 - Local Sales Network!

Thanks, John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel