Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 08:58 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,679,457 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're thinking about making a trip to Disney World with the kids for the first time. Their ages are 5 and 4. We don't want to spend a lot on a hotel and I believe the ones on Disney property could be pretty pricey. Although I heard the "All Star" or "Pop Century" are "value resorts". But has anyone stayed there? What did you think of it? Then I heard about the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort which is about 1 mile from the disney parks. I think it's in Lake Buena Vista. It sounds pretty good and reasonable in price and kids eat free, which is a major plus. But I'm not sure how the area is or or the hotel itself?

Also has anyone ever paid in advance for a "basic meal plan"?? Exactly what is it and is it really "worth it"?? A travel agent recommended it if you're staying on disney property.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 09:13 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,350,104 times
What a great age to take the kids to Disney World! We stayed at that Holiday Inn. Our kids were kindergarten age, and they'll turn 25 in a month. We actually spent very little time in the hotel - mostly sleeping. The meal deal wasn't really worth it since we weren't there to eat it, and the food wasn't that good...there again, we're talking almost 20 years ago. About 3 years after that, we went back to Disney World, and this time stayed in the resort. We were at the...Caribbean Beach Resort, I think...this was before the "value resorts" were built. We LOVED being IN Disney World. You didn't have the time spent on the road, which was considerable with the traffic jams. We could take the bus anywhere in Disney World, no additional charge back then. It was SO much better. I know the rates are higher inside Disney World, but we just had a much better time. Happy travels!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:21 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,352,398 times
I have stayed at the Value resorts at Disney and they are affordable and very nice. If your booking far enough ahead, you can find good prices at other resorts at Disney as well. The thing that will save you alot of money is that if you stay in a Disney hotel, they will extend a special price on Disney multi day passes for the parks. They are alot more expensive if you don't stay at a Disney resort.

The other really nice thing is that you can leave your car at the hotel and take the bus system or boat depending on the hotel your staying at.

Last time I went, I called the reservations number and just gave them a date I wanted to stay and a price range and they told me all the options.

For us it came down to what the pools looked like so I went online and checked that out at the Disney website. I think you would be surprised at how affordable it can be to stay at Disney.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:05 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,665,259 times
We've made the trip 3 times. Five years old is the youngest I would take to Disney. You get to use more of the rides, and they have more awareness of the attractions. You also don't have to worry about dragging a stroller, and supplies.

I would only stay on park property myself. There's a lot to be said for walking to breakfast, jump on a bus, and let someone else drive you right to the front door of every park. The non-guest parking lots are waayyyy out there. Deal with traffic, and then find your way back to your hotel in the dark. No thanks.

The best times to go are the few weeks before and after Thanksgiving. The weather is usually good, and nobody is there. There are hardly any lines at all. Early Spring, and the end of January are decent too. I would never go for Christmas or any time in the Summer. Unless you get enjoyment out of standing in lines.
I always stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. I paid $103 per night up to $160 per night depending on when we went. That was including taxes.

We will have to go back again in three years, when our youngest one marches there in the highschool band. We will stay at Port Orleans one more time. Then we will be done with Disney forever. There is such a thing as Disney overload. One more thing to remember. There is no such thing as Disney on a budget.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,118,536 times
The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com - Powered by vBulletin

This is a GREAT site for Disney trip planning. They have all kinds of information about where to stay, discounts, meal plans, etc. It is a forum much like this one with people that go to Disney, some of them very frequently, and they can give you all the in's and outs.

When we went we stayed on the Disney property. There are definite advantages to that. The meal plan is great as are the various discounts you can get. One nice thing about staying on the Disney property is that you can easily get by without a rental car. They have a shuttle from the airport that is free and they have their own transportation system between the parks. If you are going at a peak time you will want to stay on property.

There is a forum there for off site stays as well.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,743 times
We have been to Florida many times, by far the best place to stay is Comfort Suites Maingate East on Florida Plaza Blvd. They have a free huge all you can eat hot breakfast, pool, hot tub and childrens pool. It is next to Old Town but very quiet at night and very safe area. The price runs from about 99 a nite to 130. There is a free shuttle to all major attractions daily, just walk out the door and it picks you up under the veranda. It is extremely close to Arabian Nights, Medieval Times and many stores such as Walmart and Krispy Kreme. Many restauarants within walking distance. We could not be happier with this hotel. It is so clean and is a platinum award winning hotel if you go to their website. It is [URL="http://www.choicehotels.com"]www.choicehotels.com[/URL]. If you check on travelocity and expedia you will see it is rated extremely well. I hope this helps. Heather

Old 09-16-2008, 09:16 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,971,651 times
GolfGal gave you a great link with disboards. We went on a disney cruise earlier this year and that site told me everything I ever wanted to know and more.

We flew down to Orlando on the night before our cruise and stayed at Pop Century. We didn't go down there to go to Disney World, however, staying there that one night, I can tell you that if we ever do go to Disney World, we'll definitely stay on the Disney grounds at one of the resorts. We did go to Disney downtown the night after we got there and all we had to do was hop on a bus. Since I'm always the designated driver wherever we go, not driving was GREAT!!!!!!

Pop Century was cute - lots of neat things to take photos of and cleverly designed. It wasn't luxurious, but it was economical. Our rooms were perfectly fine. And, when you arrive at the airport, the Disney Express bus will take you (FOR FREE) to your hotel. Then when you need to return to the airport, it will also take you back! For free!!! No need to even rent a car.

If you do go to Disboards, be forewarned, it is as addictive, if not moreso, than CD! Have lots of fun!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel