U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 01:30 PM

12,393 posts, read 18,488,142 times

Advertisements

LAX - Terrible airport, the equivalent of a slum of an airport. Dirty, old, dilapidated, not user friendly. Could be the worst aiport in the U.S.

Atlanta - functional, very busy and noisy and not that comfortable. But functional. The worst thing is when you land - they never seem to have enough gates to put the planes. You arrive early, then are stuck on the tarmac for 40 minutes waiting for a gate and reception crew to free up.

Orlando - Good clean airport, pretty.

DFW - It's like a good idea that went wrong. Have the baggage claim and check-in area near the gate they say. Yeah right. Still takes 45 minutes for the union employees to get your bags to the baggage claim that sits 20 feet from the airplane.

Memphis - Strange airport. The Delta half is ugly, angry employees, ugly furniture, not enough seating, no resteraunts. The Northwest half is carpeted, comfortable, and some good BBQ eating places.

Cleveland - Good airport once you get over the taking a bus over to C terminal. A bus. It's like - dig a tunnel and create a train system - this is 2008 not 1955.

SLC - Good airport, simple layout. Even with walking to the very farthest terminal it only takes 5 minutes top. Sometimes the simplest designs work.

Boston - Not bad. The worst thing is leaving the airport with your rental car and finding your way through that nightmare tunnel system. Exactly what I want to do at 11 PM at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 64,798 times
Never been to US before ~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdallas View Post
As a frequent business traveler, I've grown to love some airports and hate others. Here are a few of my opinions:

O'Hare- I try to avoid this beast at all costs. It's big, busy, and requires long walks. The stores aren't that great and Chicago is notorious for bad storms (both snow in the winter and rain in the summer) that cause delays. I've never understood why United and American decided to put their main hubs in a city with such unfavorable weather for air travel. If I have to fly to Chicago, Midway ismy preference.

LAX-not bad, but sorta expect more from the second largest city in the country. I wish it was also easier to connect between the terminals and the International terminal is outdated and looks more like a bus station.

Pittsburgh-probably one of my favorites. It's clean, shopping and food is plentiful (parts of look like a mall), and it's easy to navigate. Very impressive.

Atlanta-this is a busy beast too, but much easier to navigate than O'Hare. It's been refurbished a lot in the last year and is pretty modern. They're also building a rental car facility with a monorail, which is pretty cool and new upscale shopping is being added. The fact that you can take MARTA from the airport to downtown is also a plus.

Denver-reminds me a lot of a smaller, newer version of Atlanta's airport. Pretty nice overall

Kansas City-an outdated design and probably one of the worst airports in my opinion

Miami-the American Airlines concourses are nice, but the others are old and run down. Customer service is terrible, not that there are a whole lot of choices. Traffic around the airport is horrible.

DFW-I've only flown into the Delta terminal, which was really old looking. I'm sure the American Airlines terminals are much nicer.

LaGuardia-old and ugly. I would expect much more from the greatest city on earth!

Dulles-I really hate those huge people-mover things.

Detroit-one of my other favorites. It's clean and modern, there are a lot of shops, and it's easy to navigate. The music they play on the walkway between the terminal and the Northwest concourse is cool.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:59 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,707,214 times
I prefer to fly out of smaller airports (if possible), with easy access all around.

Sanford Florida is very small, but really nice. Hardly ever delays in flights, and easy to get to.
Orlando International also a favorite choice of mine. Easy access, nice and clean, and parking and traffic was never a big problem.
Palm Beach also a nice choice.....easy, clean, modern....with hardly any delays. However, getting there via I-95 can be an absolute hassle at times, due to constant constructions.
JFK an absolute nightmare getting to the airport. If you miss your "ramp"......you are in trouble. (That's what happened to me, and I almost missed my flight)
Philadelphia pretty much the same as JFK, but a bit better. There seems to be a lot of "chaos" going on, concerning scheduled flights, and "WHAT" gate they are SUPPOSED to be on ????
This happened to me not just once...but TWICE!
Nobody really knew what was going on.....and ended up with huge delays.
Newark was another favorite of mine. Even though big, it was easy to get to, and easy to get around.
Maui nice, smaller and modern airport, with easy access. Another one I really liked.
Washington DC they are in the middle of remodeling (when we were there in March 2008), which that airport desperately needed, IMHO.
Confusion about arrival and departure flights, and frequent gate changes. Traffic getting to the airport is chaotic.
LaGuardia not really my favorite. Airport seemed a little outdated at the time I was there, but traffic was a big factor. Friendly service though, and easy navigation within airport.
Miami very, very crowded airport, and it seemed some sections of the airport were dirty and not up kept. Customer service can be very rude sometimes. Certainly not my favorite airport. Traffic is a nightmare around the airport, and even getting there. Parking can be a problem at times.
Fort Lauderdale LOVE this airport. More on the smaller side, clean, modern, up kept. Customer service very good. Had several flights going out and in, and it was delayed only a few times. (Nothing major in time though)
Easy access getting to and navigation within airport. Parking is plentiful.
Frankfurt Germany like the airport, even though it is HUGE! Easy access in and out, but the highway traffic getting there, can be a problem during rush hour.....with sometimes HUGE delays.
Ultra modern, and still undergoing remodeling , expansion and updating.
Customer service can be a "hit" and "miss" at times, but overall, friendly.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:18 PM

821 posts, read 1,802,994 times
LAX, hate going from domestic to international

TYS (Knoxville, TN) very small, so you can't get lost

the very best airport in the world in my opinion is Singapore Airport
fee internet terminals all over the place, free movie / theater, several places with loung type chairs to sleep in if waiting on your next flight, hotel that are booked in 6 hr blocks that include access to a shower and towels, all the shops and more that you would ever want to see or shop at and they have a free tourist tour of the city if you have a long lay over during the day.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:44 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,707,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1966 View Post
TYS (Knoxville, TN) very small, so you can't get lost
I agree...and forgot to mention that one!
Yes, very small, easy navigation in and out, and not really "over run" in comparison to a big city like Knoxville.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,417,453 times
While I love where I live, PHL is absolutely horrendous, no doubt about it. My favorites are EWR and DEN (the best). Rapid City (RAP) is surprisingly not bad for the smallest airport you've ever seen :P

Old 09-26-2008, 12:38 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,183,291 times
O'Hare - use it often and have been VERY lucky. Have never been delayed more than 2 hours and fly in winter often. It seems that whenever I come home, particularly from international flights, the walk to the baggage claim is a mile. I like some of the bars there and have no bad feelings.

Midway - Love it's size. Small and efficient. Use it when I can.

New Orleans - Very dated. Needs a facelift. Small like Midway and easy to navigate.

Miami - A very South American feel. Can get decent Cuban coffee there.

Dallas - My favorite. Great elevated Tram system and your luggage is always directly below your arrival gate. Very efficient.

John Wayne/Orange County - My 2nd favorite.

LAX - Neutral.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:40 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,827,609 times
I also liked RNO (Reno Tahoe International), was easy to get around, was around the right size and after coming from halfway around the world and over 24 hours of travel I got off the plane to the sound of slot machines, one of the greatest noises I've ever heard after travelling for such a long time.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:01 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,923,572 times
Mar0, I am a Japan lover too. NRT is alright but the new airport at Osaka (KIX) is unbelievable! The architecture is amazing and its all new and clean. Makes me want to go back to Japan! What a splendid country to visit. Wonderful people, great trains, beautiful cities and decent airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel