U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 08:04 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,430,229 times

Advertisements

I'm 20 as many of you know. I'm going to east Tennessee in Late October and need to use a rental car. First place that came to mind is Enterprise. The problem is I'm 20, I can't figure out why there being prejudice? I have no traffic citations no accidents and 4 years of driving. Why can't I rent a car?

Can I just have one of my parents rent the car for me and drive it? I'm going by myself. I don't know if that's a big no no or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,293,916 times
Rental car agencies usually require you to be 25. It is a problem if your parents rent it for you but are not driving. Certainly too many legal problems if something was to happen. However, many parents do sign for their kids. Years ago, if you wanted to rent a car and were not 25, you had to have a significant cash deposit. You might check to see if that is still true. However, it might be easier to just find other transportation or maybe use a family car.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:19 AM

628 posts, read 2,244,177 times
I use enterprise. Call your local office and see what they suggest, I know they rent 21-25 at a higher rate. Your parents can rent it (and they can tell them additional drivers at additional cost), or just not tell them (but if something happens, there will be a problem)

Old 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-16-2008, 04:05 PM

12,635 posts, read 28,163,533 times
A son's friend rented a car out in California this past summer and he was 19 but I think it was some shoddy outfit and he was worried that it wouldn't start or keep working each time he used it. I doubt very much you can use a car just because your parents rent it for you-I don't think it's a question of money. We rented a car from Hertz in June and asked if our 21 year old son could be put on as a driver but they wouldn't do it. Don't take it personally, Josh, I'm sure you are a great driver!

Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Thanks, toobusy!

I just don't get it. Some states require you to take a drivers education class for so many months and some don't. I think the ones that required students to take drivers education should allow 18 year olds to rent cars. I even had the good student discount and took an extra safety course to have extremely cheap insurance.

I guess that's it.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,392,699 times
Josh, don't take it personally. In fact, enjoy 20 while it lasts. To rent a car, you usually need to be really old, like 23 or 25 (military and corporate accounts have exceptions sometimes). You also need a credit card in your name, private insurance (or pay for theirs), and be willing to pay a premium.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:29 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 782,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I'm 20 as many of you know. I'm going to east Tennessee in Late October and need to use a rental car. First place that came to mind is Enterprise. The problem is I'm 20, I can't figure out why there being prejudice? I have no traffic citations no accidents and 4 years of driving. Why can't I rent a car?

Can I just have one of my parents rent the car for me and drive it? I'm going by myself. I don't know if that's a big no no or what?
I remember renting a car from Alamo for a business trip before I was 25. See if they are available where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel