U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:47 PM

5,726 posts, read 8,634,028 times

Advertisements

Another + for Sky Harbor, very good and modern airport and def. the best one I have flow out of in the US.
I also liked Schipol airport and Incheon Intl. was also pretty good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM

14,281 posts, read 24,055,657 times
My favorite airport is Chicago-Midway (MDW). Since they completely redid the airport in 2002, it is a great airport. The restaurants tend to be Chicago based with only a couple of chains. Also, I can get off the plane, take the shuttle to Midway Park and Ride and be away from teh airport in under 30 minutes.

Other favorites are John Wayne in Orange County (SNA) and Elko (EKO).

My least favorite are Seattle (SEA) and Philadelphia (PHL).

Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,462,134 times
Well, I'd say my favorite is Bakersfield. First of all, it's closest to where I am. Second, it's easy to get to, just a few minutes off the freeway. Third, it's clean and fairly new. Finally, it's not crowded. The only down side I see to it, is that there aren't many places to connect to from there, especially now that many airlines have cut their flight schedules.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,708 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsing View Post
Singapore has the best airport...hands down!
yes, I vote SIN (Changi, ez to remember code) Especially if you are flying Thai, very nice lounge, even for the 'cattle car' class. My little kids were impressed with the signs that show a machine gun and "DEATH to DRUG TRAFFICERS", then they walked around the corner to meet up with the guys with the real machine guns! They should leave a few bloodied mannequins lying around just for effect.

for USA this yr I enjoyed SLC, ELP, ABQ, MHT (Manchester, NH) and MSP (Mn / StPaul) which was like an indoor mall, but was pretty 'grungy', I find that often the case anywhere east of MO river. SMF (Sacramento) and BOI (Boise) and are pretty nice too. (I've enjoyed the heck out of the $79 SWA fares) but plenty of stops I don't like (LAS, LAX, DIA, DFW, OAK, PNX, EWR)

Of course I rave about my home airport PDX, as it is 20 miles and 20 minutes away. Direct international connections, + Hawaii and plenty of cheap flights to sun ($39). Little to no traffic, free WiFi, clean, piano and inlaid floor of Columbia Gorge map is nice addition, and fast, especially now with the 'behind security' connection between concourses. But I'll admit I prefer "going" to coming home.... that pitter pat on the windows at about 2000' means 'you're back in the thick of it' Leaving is great as you often get a nice sunny look at Mt Hood, that was there all along for the past 6 months, just 'hiding'

Old 11-12-2008, 08:24 AM

5,273 posts, read 12,449,149 times
A few samplers:

Atlanta- it was very nondescript and a bit trashy.

Denver- Very nice. Clean, wide, easy to get around.

LAX- never again! Cramped, dirty, packed.

San Francisco- After the 1,238,952nd time in 1 hour I got hit up for money I was ready to punch somebody. However, they have a nice USO.

Portland- Very nice and easy to get around it. Also, very clean.

Honolulu- Lovely. It's got the Wiki bus thing and open air. Really nice.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,570,967 times
Hate Flying out of Honalulu cuz that means I've got to go home

Love Flying out of Orlando cuz that means I'm going on Vacation!

Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,552,216 times
tampa TIA or sky harbor in AZ

Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 AM

3,665 posts, read 6,501,956 times
I havent been in as many as some of you

Loved Tampa. Do they still have the arcade/game room there? That was awesome, I was stuck there when a flight had a mechanical delay, and had a blast

Love Charlotte. I like that they have a nice variety of restaurants and shops to stay busy

My favorite small airport is one I dont think was mentioned-- Akron Canton.. I used to live in Canton, it has to be one of the easiest airports to get to, get in, and get on your flight. Plus, flights were super cheap from there

My least favorite, but one I have been to a few times, is Fort Lauderdale. I always fly in there instead of Miami to save money, but, MAN, it is boring! Nothing to do but Chilis! Yuck. And every time I have been there, I have been there forever!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 PM

588 posts, read 2,563,768 times
I'm partial to Portland Intl, my home airport. It's clean, has ample parking near the terminal (with another parking garage on the way!), light rail service and plenty of nonstop flights.

For visitors, the rental car area is right next to the terminal at the bottom of the parking garage. No silly shuttle buses or long walks.

Worst airports, IMO -- San Jose, CA and Kansas City MO. San Jose's new terminal should be opening soon, if it hasn't already, so that might help.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 PM

25,673 posts, read 24,334,162 times
I havent yet had any real compaints, of all the airports Ive been to. (Except maybe the cost of the food and drinks!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or