Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times

Advertisements

I love lighthouses.

Would like to one day plan a trip and tour lighthouses on the Eastern Coast and then another tour of the West Coast.

*'The Ghost and Mrs. Muir'--great lighthouse film

**Robert Louis Stevenson--enjoy his books and there are many lighthouses in Scotland--most might have been built by his family and descendants>>>

The Lighthouse Stevensons - by Bella Bathurst
Book Review, © Copyright 2000, Jim Loy
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 08:43 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
We've got one here too. It's at the end of a long breakwall in the harbor which you can walk out to if you dare. Once in a while you'll see someone bike out to it. Kind of crazy as the walkway is so narrow and the waves come crashing over in a storm.

A group in the city is putting together a plan to buy it as the federal govt has recently put it up for sale. I use to live two blocks away and would fall asleep to the sound of the fog horn. Many a night I wouldn't have found my way home off the lake if it weren't for that beam.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 PM

Default it gets dark along the coast

My friend lived very near the Tybee Light and the beach.

Nice to fall asleep with the sound of the ocean nearby.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:41 AM

291 posts, read 1,360,587 times
I absolutely love LIGHTHOUSES too! I am searching for the dog lovers post bhs, so when I find it, I will respond to ya!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 AM

1,394 posts, read 4,170,775 times
I also love lighthouses, to me they bring a peacefulness, I have been to see a few, each one different in their own way. They still have the houses next to them where the people lived that took care of the lighthouses. I dream about being able to live in one of those houses, so quiet, so peaceful, and so beautiful, what a dream huh!!!!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:12 AM

Here's the one on Lake Ontario I mentioned above.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 08-29-2007 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-08-2007, 01:01 PM

bhs,

Guess you did just the opposite of what you were praising! You added somethings off-subject that wasn't 'peaceful', as you say. Expect to get zapped again I suppose. Try keeping that stuff where it belongs will you?

Yeah, I'm up in the north woods by the big lake. Did use to live in Manhattan (NYC), also Hollywood Hills (CA), Cupertino (CA in Silicon Valley), spent time in Newport (RI) and LI, all up and down the West Coast (SD, Portland, Ensenada), winters for 20yrs in the South on extended trips (mostly the Keys and near Patrick AFB, Myrtle Bch SC, Bragg NC, SC, TN).

The picts were so people can see that when I'm talking about a lake, I mean a LAKE, and a big one. It's very reminiscent of the New England ports here for those unfamiliar. Too bad they closed down our drive-on beach.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 02-08-2007 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,652,115 times
Alrighty BHS I don't even watch the news anymore so we can't discuss your post BUT we can talk about Savannah and Tybee! Just LOVE that area. We go to Tybee every July. I can't imagine a better place. You can have it all there.. quiet family beach, nightlife, food, etc... Your turn!

Old 02-08-2007, 03:05 PM

Default zapped --I started the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
bhs,

Guess you did just the opposite of what you were praising! You added somethings off-subject that wasn't 'peaceful', as you say. Expect to get zapped again I suppose. Try keeping that stuff where it belongs will you?

Yeah, I'm up in the north woods by the big lake. Did use to live in Manhattan (NYC), also Hollywood Hills (CA), Cupertino (CA in Silicon Valley), spent time in Newport (RI) and LI, all up and down the West Coast (SD, Portland, Ensenada), winters for 20yrs in the South on extended trips (mostly the Keys and near Patrick AFB, Myrtle Bch SC, Bragg NC, SC, TN).

The picts were so people can see that when I'm talking about a lake, I mean a LAKE, and a big one. It's very reminiscent of the New England ports here for those unfamiliar. Too bad they closed down our drive-on beach.
I am the OP.

I don't care if this thread stays on topic. If those that come to post on it cannot pick out what they want to discuss--leave what they don't care for--then they can go and Tell a Moderator or PM me or whatever they feel moved to do.

I am 'fed up'--society in general. and have no more patience for what goes on in an online forum. 'Some' are childish and have not lived long enough--I have done all of that--I truly 'Understand' and I have discused the eternal issues until there is no more to say.

There are things that require my concern in RL--I came to try and 'find out' --have not been particularly successful in my own forum. sigh--I 'Understand'--whether online or in RL--someone may be deeply offended, envious or filled with seething hatred at the most innocuous comment. 'Race', Class--I cannot tell you how tired I am of thinking in this 'Linear'/Left Brain way.
Fortunately, I sometimes encounter the whole brained. Would certainly like to know where 'That' forum is--have not yet found such people all in one place. Scattered about.

It nearly made me physically ill --the case I linked. Sometimes the horror of just how low humans can sink provokes a response. I don't know how it is your 'Niche'. Isn't that why we are here?

I honestly don't know if I will once again 'Take Time' to post in a forum. Rules, moderation, the issues--not the part of life that supports personal growth, speaking for myself.

sls

Old 02-08-2007, 03:11 PM

Default walking on the north beach--watching the little birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Alrighty BHS I don't even watch the news anymore so we can't discuss your post BUT we can talk about Savannah and Tybee! Just LOVE that area. We go to Tybee every July. I can't imagine a better place. You can have it all there.. quiet family beach, nightlife, food, etc... Your turn!
It is good. I like the little old cottages--rustic --that is the beach to me.

Get up--watch the sun rise over the ocean with a cup of coffee. Walk the beach--eat breakfast--go for a swim--eat a BLT and nap--then at sundown walk the beach until it gets dark. Boil some shrimp--garlic and butter and nighty nite.

Fort Walton Beach is my favorite --for the white sand and better waves--Gulf of Mexico. I will go to the beach--any chance I can.~~~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel