U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 AM

28,215 posts, read 47,628,039 times

Advertisements

There's no such thing as a stupid question. Right? Not if you ask the National Park rangers who compiled this list of actual questions asked by park visitors.

At Grand Canyon National Park:
"Was this man-made?"
"Is there an elevator to the bottom?"
"Do you light it up at night?"
"Is the mule train air-conditioned?"
"Where are the faces of the presidents?"

At Carlsbad Caverns National Park:
"How much of the caves is underground?"
"So whats in the unexplored part of the cave?"
"Does it ever rain in here?"
"So what is this, just a hole in the ground?"
"How many ping pong balls would it take to fill it up?"

At Everglades National Park:
"Are the alligators real?"
"Are the baby alligators for sale?"
"When does the two o'clock bus leave?"

At Yosemite National Park:
"What time of year do you turn on Yosemite Falls?"
"What happened to the other half of Half Dome?"

At Alaska's Denali National Park:
"What time do you feed the bears?"
"How often do you mow the tundra?"
"How much does Mount McKinley weigh?"

At Mesa Verde National Park:
"Did people build this, or did Indians?"
"Do you know of any undiscovered ruins?"
"Why did they build the ruins so close to the road?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM

8,920 posts, read 13,673,018 times
lol, here's some more from England:
English Heritage reveals silly tourist questions at history sites | UK News | Sky News

Quote:
A string of the most embarrassing gaffes have been revealed by English Heritage.
One young visitor to Osborne House - where Queen Victoria died in 1901 - piped up: "Is this where Sharon and Ozzy actually live?"
The hapless sightseer left disappointed after turning up to peek at what he thought was the home of former Black Sabbath frontman Ozzy Osbourne and his TV star wife.

Another visitor to the monarch's Isle of Wight summer home wanted to know whether her nine children all "have the same dad".
Meanwhile a tourist at Whitby Abbey, North Yorkshire, asked whether the group were looking around Dracula's castle.
If that wasn't bad enough someone else there mulled over the English fondness for putting up "ruined castles and abbeys" all over the country.
There was more confusion at Cleeve Abbey in Somerset when a group of children asked to see the monkeys.
They had been told that it had been the home of monks for 350 years.
English Heritage released the quirky questions in a bid to coax shy tourists to quiz guides.
"We've all had the experience of wanting to ask a question and regretting not doing so when the moment has passed," said Tina Corrim, head of education at English Heritage.
"When it comes to topics such as history, people can often be embarrassed to voice their queries, but the only way to learn is to ask.
"Learning about history should be fun as well as educational. It is important that children and parents ask us their questions about the properties. You might find out something amazing."

Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 PM

39,552 posts, read 47,768,430 times
[quote=John1960;5385312]There's no such thing as a stupid question. Right? Not if you ask the National Park rangers who compiled this list of actual questions asked by park visitors.
If I were the Park Ranger, here's what my answers would be:

At Grand Canyon National Park:
"Was this man-made?" Yes, Teddy Roosevelt requsitioned 250,000 men during the depression with shovels to dig it out. It created job security for the men.
"Is there an elevator to the bottom?" Yes, this is where Mr Otis developed his elevator. It was by trial and error, he had his ups and downs, til he perfected it in 1930.
"Do you light it up at night?" Only on special holidays. The mules string the lines up and down the trails to light the way at night for the elves.
"Is the mule train air-conditioned?" Only during the hot summer months. Heaters are used in the winter.
"Where are the faces of the presidents?" Over by the Arches just under the pass where the trail ends at the mouth of the river.

At Carlsbad Caverns National Park:
"How much of the caves is underground?" Just the part near the surface.
"So whats in the unexplored part of the cave?" Nothing, just a black hole with no air.
"Does it ever rain in here?" Right after the bats leave there's a huge hole that let's the rain in.
"So what is this, just a hole in the ground?" Oh no, it's a government experimental air cavity.
"How many ping pong balls would it take to fill it up?" Last year an 8th grade class of students, on a field trip, brought in 42 million 360 thousand ping pong balls and filled it up to the entrance.

At Everglades National Park:
"Are the alligators real?" Actually they're animated ones made in China. The real ones disappeared a few years ago when the Teradactyls came through and cleaned house.
"Are the baby alligators for sale?" You can get them at Walmart.
"When does the two o'clock bus leave?" Usually at 3:55. So get here 10 minutes early so you don't miss your ride.

At Yosemite National Park:
"What time of year do you turn on Yosemite Falls?" As soon as daylight savings starts in the spring. It's more cost effective.
"What happened to the other half of Half Dome?" Well, when Mt St Helens blew, it created a sink hole and swallowed it up.

At Alaska's Denali National Park:
"What time do you feed the bears?" About 2 in the afternoon, right after the Koalas are fed.
"How often do you mow the tundra?" Just after the heaviest of rains & just before sundown at midnight.
"How much does Mount McKinley weigh?" When FDR was president he led a procession up the mountain with apocothary scales and to the best of our knowledge it came out to be 6 zillion 245 thousand and 3 pounds. Give or take a few ounces for erosion.

At Mesa Verde National Park:
"Did people build this, or did Indians?" Well, we were told that Indian People built this during the revolutionary war to protect it's people from the Russian invasion.
"Do you know of any undiscovered ruins?" Yes, and they're still undiscovered to this day.
"Why did they build the ruins so close to the road?" That's a good question. We think it was so they could make a hasty escape when the Jackalopes came out of hibernation in the Spring and raided their teepes and made off with the young-uns while the adults were toiling in the fields.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
Just three of many in the US Virgin Islands:

"How close does St Thomas get to Puerto Rico at different times of the year?"

"Can you swim under the island to get to the other side?"

"Do you live here?" (The answer to this one is, "No, I commute from NYC every day.")

Cheers!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 AM

25,670 posts, read 24,310,357 times
Those are so funny, but incredible the questions some might ask!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:48 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
I was once approached by a cruise ship passenger who had just got off the ship in St Thomas. He stood in front of me and with his mouth an inch or two from my nose, yelled at me - very slowly and concisely - "EXCUSE ME BUT DO THEY TAKE DOLLARS HERE?" as though I were both deaf and foreign.

"Yes, sir," I quietly responded, "You're in a US territory, we do speak English and the US dollar is our currency."

He didn't even say thank you, just sort of hurrumphed and walked off. Gotta love some travelers!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,553,343 times
Ahhhhh tourist....
I worked the front desk on International Drive in Orlando.

Every day I would get asked how long it took to get to DisneyLand...I would then ask if they were flying or driving. Flying? Yes, Disney Land is in California. If they want they could jump on the bus outside and go to Disney World instead.

What kind of trees are these? Palm....(they were pine)
Where does Mickey live?...I would give them directions to Sea World. (kids I would tell the truth)

Why did I get charged for a long distance call to Miami? Ummm cuz it's 3 hours away?

Old 09-26-2008, 03:22 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,265,187 times
When I was in Key West, someone asked me if we were still in the United States.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM

111 posts, read 326,557 times
Wow...
The sheer stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze - or amuse - me.

LMAO

Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times
I grew up in and lived in Tourist towns half my life. The questions asked are astounding.

My favorite was asked to me by a group of tourists who just found out I lived right in the area and wanted the "inside scoop."
"When is the best time to see Lake Michigan it's natural color, you know, before they add the dye to make it so blue for the tourist season?" I reminded them that Lake Michigan is 22,000 square MILES in surface area and has almost 1200 cubic miles of water in it, and how it would be imposable to dye that much water. They insisted they just dye the top few feet and leave the rest normal. (Can't tell you my answer due to TOS and language issues, but it did involve the word "Idiots")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel