U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,470,005 times

Advertisements

I don't think you'll find any combo trips for USVI/PR - people generally go to one or the other. STX and STJ are a LONG way away from each other so making "day trips" to STJ from STX is almost impossible and you'll spend most of the day traveling as there's no direct flights or ferries between STX and STJ and you would have to come through STT.

Finding accommodation for a couple of days on STJ won't be easy. There are a few smaller guest houses/inns which might offer short stays but only two hotels - the Westin and Caneel Bay - and it's unlikely that you could find anything reasonable at either of them even if they have availability. St John accommodations get booked up fast for high season and most are for minimum seven day stays. The sensible thing is to stay on STT and take day trips to St John.

My honest recommendation would be to stay one week on STT with one day trip to STJ with your rental vehicle and one day sailing around ST John - along with a sailing trip to the BVI. Then stay one week on STX. Or stay two weeks on STT! Trying to do everything in just two weeks is going to have you packing and unpacking when what you should be planning on doing is what most people do here - enjoying the natural beauty and RELAXING in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:59 PM

345 posts, read 1,136,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I don't think you'll find any combo trips for USVI/PR - people generally go to one or the other. STX and STJ are a LONG way away from each other so making "day trips" to STJ from STX is almost impossible and you'll spend most of the day traveling as there's no direct flights or ferries between STX and STJ and you would have to come through STT.

Finding accommodation for a couple of days on STJ won't be easy. There are a few smaller guest houses/inns which might offer short stays but only two hotels - the Westin and Caneel Bay - and it's unlikely that you could find anything reasonable at either of them even if they have availability. St John accommodations get booked up fast for high season and most are for minimum seven day stays. The sensible thing is to stay on STT and take day trips to St John.

My honest recommendation would be to stay one week on STT with one day trip to STJ with your rental vehicle and one day sailing around ST John - along with a sailing trip to the BVI. Then stay one week on STX. Or stay two weeks on STT! Trying to do everything in just two weeks is going to have you packing and unpacking when what you should be planning on doing is what most people do here - enjoying the natural beauty and RELAXING in one of the most beautiful places on earth. Cheers!

agreed. But remember this!!!!!!! when looking for a rental make sure they allow you to take it on the ferries. Some don't allow this. Some of the ferry crews will tell you they wont let on with that sticker on youre windshield.

I would suggest making STT youre home base for youre trip. I totally forgot about the BVIs! thanks STT. You could take a day trip to Jost Van D yke or Normal Island and go to willie T's or Pirates bite. Or Soggy dollar or my favorite... Ivan's on Jost. You cant take a trip to the VI's with out at least 1, day sail. Thouths STT res?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 09-26-2008 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: edit for nasty word checker!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:40 AM

79 posts, read 273,646 times
Do I need a British visa to go to the BVIs from STT?

I think I am leaning towards making STT the home base and planning my trip around it. But going all the way to US VIs for 2 weeks, I still want to be able to visit PR for a couple days at least.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,332,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Newbie View Post
Do I need a British visa to go to the BVIs from STT?

I think I am leaning towards making STT the home base and planning my trip around it. But going all the way to US VIs for 2 weeks, I still want to be able to visit PR for a couple days at least.

No, just a U.S. passport.

I think you are making the correct decision as far as where to go and base out of. Old San Juan can definitely been seen in a couple of days.

By all means, take a catamaran or something over to Jost. The trip is just beautiful. I can't remember who we went with but will find the info if you'd like. They stop and let you snorkle on the way over and the water is just unbelievably gorgeous.

I have some pictures on the Territories thread but would be glad to post a couple more if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel