U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,745 times

Advertisements

I have a question. Would you please help me to take a right decision
I won a green card and I came from Israel , right now I am a permanent resident.
My mother lives at Ukraine , I would like to visit my mom and my grandma in Russian
My questions are:
1). Do I need to have my travel passport, or can use my Israel passport?
2). Will I have problem to came back in US(from three week trip) with out travel passport if I will have green card and Israel passport
Now I have an Israel citizenship. In Ukraine Embassy I opened Visa to visit Ukraine , but I do not need Russian Visa because I will use my Israel passport
Thank you, Elena

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-26-2008 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: edited for clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:55 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,618,002 times
the "font" makes your message kind of hard to read.
what i see is that you have an Isreali passport and a US greencard. correct?
with those 2 things, you can travel. you do not need a US passport. you have a passport from your own country and that is good enough.
just be very careful. do NOT leave your greencard to ANYONE. dont let anyone at any airport take it away from you.
i have heard this happening twice already from people i know personally and it is very difficult to do anything about it afterwards.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 AM

2,958 posts, read 11,349,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
just be very careful. do NOT leave your greencard to ANYONE. dont let anyone at any airport take it away from you.
Very strange? Why would any passport control even have the opportunity to see the green card, it is not a travel document. It is a permit that gives the owner the right to work in America.

For lperchikov I am confused by your question "1). Do I need to have my travel passport, or can use my Israel passport?" What do you mean by travel passport? How many passports do you have and from what countries? One is Israili and it sounds like there is another one.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:38 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,507,299 times
YOU NEED TO GET YOUR ANSWERS FROM THE CORRECT SOURCE THAT ACTUALLY HAS THE ANSWERS, THE U.S. GOVERNMENT.
The opinions of anonymous strangers on the internet are interesting, but not useful. The U.S. government is the only correct source of the answers you need --
Permanent Resident (Green Card)

Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,350,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Very strange? Why would any passport control even have the opportunity to see the green card, it is not a travel document. It is a permit that gives the owner the right to work in America.
I'm a permanent resident alien with a UK passport and when I leave the US I have to produce my green card upon re-entering the US in order to prove my immigration status. Cheers!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
YOU NEED TO GET YOUR ANSWERS FROM THE CORRECT SOURCE THAT ACTUALLY HAS THE ANSWERS, THE U.S. GOVERNMENT.
The opinions of anonymous strangers on the internet are interesting, but not useful. The U.S. government is the only correct source of the answers you need --
Permanent Resident (Green Card)
excuse me, but it is not opinion. some of us actually know things. yes they should still check and make sure we are not making things up. but you dont need to sound so condescending.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:33 PM

If you have a UK and an Israili passport and you are going to Russia and the Ukraine you could do it either way.

I believe Russia and Israel signed an agreement a few days ago for visa free travel. So you could go to Russia on the Israili passport without the visa and Letter of Invitation expense and hassle and headaches. That would seem like a good idea. Russia and the Ukraine also have an open border.

So if you used the Israili passport and went to Russia first, then crossed into the Ukraine from Russia, you wouldn't need a visa for either country. Cheap and easy.

If you were to use your UK passport you would need a Russian visa for sure. And the Russians have become very belligerent about issuing visas outside your home country. Using the UK passport you would need to apply for the Russian visa either in the UK or the US. Slow and expensive.

Use the Israili passport. Go to Russia and then the Ukraine.

Sorry I'm in a hurry right now, or I'd find you some links to the new no-visa agreement Between Russia and Israel. Google around you should be able to find it.

Last edited by azoria; 09-26-2008 at 07:05 PM..

Old 09-26-2008, 06:41 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,350,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
If you have a UK and an Israili passport and you are going to Russia and the Ukraine you could do it either way.

I believe Russia and Israel signed an agreement a few days ago for visa free travel. So you could go to Russia on the Israili passport without the visa and Letter of Invitation expense and hassle and headaches. That would seem like a good idea. Russia and the Ukraine also have a visa free border.

So if you used the Israili passport and went to Russia first, then crossed into the Ukraine from Russia, you wouldn't need a visa for either country. Cheap and easy.

If you were to use your UK passport you would need a Russian visa for sure. And the Russians have become very belligerent about issuing visas outside your home country. Using the UK passport you would need to apply for the Russian visa either in the UK or the US. Slow and expensive.

Use the Israili passport. Go to Russia and then the Ukraine.

Sorry I'm in a hurry right now, or I'd find you some links to the new no-visa agreement Between Russia and Israel. Google around you should be able to find it.

I was a bit confused about the initial post but now am more confused that you think the OP has a UK passport as he doesn't indicate that. He apparently has an Israeli passport and is a permanent resident alien (green card holder) in the US. Have I missed something? Cheers!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:56 PM

i think Azoria mixed lperchikov's and STT RESIDENT"S info.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i think Azoria mixed lperchikov's and STT RESIDENT"S info.
You're right, I did.

However it is not uncommon for folks to have more than one passport from more than one country. Sometimes one kind of passport is more advantageous than the other, depending on where you're going.

Sorry for the mixup.

However I did find a link to the new visa free agreement between Russia and Israel.:

World
Russia, Israel sign visa-free agreement

22:07 | 20/ 03/ 2008
TEL AVIV, March 20 (RIA Novosti) - Russia and Israel signed a deal on Thursday on mutual visa-free travel, as part of the Russian foreign minister's visit to the country.
The agreement was signed by Russia's Sergei Lavrov and his Israeli counterpart, Tzipi Livni. It will come into force in 90 days' time, after all procedures have been finalized.

Vladimir Slutsker, a member of the Federation Council, the upper house of Russia's parliament, earlier said that of more than 2 million tourists who visited Israel in 2007, half a million were U.S. nationals followed by 250,000 French visitors. Russian tourists held third place with more than 100,000 people.

He said that visa-free travel between the two countries would be both economically useful and historically natural. Immigrants from Russia and other former Soviet republics account for over 1 million of Israel's 7 million citizens, meaning that visits to friends and relatives are likely to rise dramatically.

Lavrov is in Israel as part of a Middle East tour focused on reviving the peace process in the region.

RIA Novosti - World - Russia, Israel sign visa-free agreement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or