U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 05:52 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,127,919 times

Advertisements

Going to puerto rico maybe in february.......any hotel ideas........thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 03:28 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,408,753 times
Rio Mar Beach Resort (formerly the Westin Rio Mar)

Old 10-02-2008, 10:51 AM

826 posts, read 2,787,707 times
I was told to stay at the Marriott or Renaissance due to the location. From what I understand, there are lots of restaurants in that area, so you aren't forced to eat and drink at the hotel all the time.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:37 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,270,132 times
We stayed at the Cerromar Beach Resort many years ago and it was lovely. You might want to check out TripAdvisor for reviews.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:48 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,070,702 times
It really depends on what you want from your vacation, as well as your budget, obviously. Assuming money is not an issue, Old San Juan is very romantic and has a number of boutique hotels and fine restaurants (if you want something very romantic, very historic, and consider travel an entitlement rather than a luxury, then El Convento is the place for you. In my opinion, it's the finest boutique hotel in the Caribbean outside of St. Barths, it's housed in a 17th-century convent, and it's not a chain hotel, so expect lots and lots and lots of luxury and charm). The Isla Verde part of town caters to younger, more hip tourists, with inventive beachfront boutique hotels and eclectic restaurants. Condado is more for folks who want something reasonably luxurious, but predictable and mainstream (with plenty of access to the beach).

As far as sightseeing, I really can't write a whole travel guide here (you really have to do your own research), but I can give you some pointers. Definitely devote at least a day to Old San Juan. See the two forts, the city walls, the Fortaleza, and just stroll through the city into the night. For day trips, consider El Caribe National Park on the northeastern part of the island. There are also snorkeling and scuba diving trips out of the nearby Fajardo, and that area is generally home to some of Puerto Rico's finest beaches. You can also visit Arecibo, southwest of San Juan, home to the world's largest radio-telescope and the SETI project. The city of Ponce, in the south, was cute in places, but driving there through the island's interior took such a long time, and Ponce itself is so crammed and difficult to navigate, that in my opinion it's more trouble than it's worth. The city of Mayaguez in the west is popular with surfers.

You might also want to consider trips to the islands of Vieques and Culebra. They are renowned for their natural beauty and wild life (and also give tourists a taste of a more rural, languid Caribbean). There are ferries operating out of Fajardo to both islands, as well as a local airline connecting San Juan with Vieques. Culebra is the more remote of the two islands. Definitely a good choice if you are an "off the beaten path" kind of traveler.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:27 PM

107 posts, read 364,949 times
it depends what you are looking for...my family and i like staying on the beach, oceanfront, near the airport, walking distance to restaurants, etc... We like clean places but they don't have to be fancy.

We haven't been to PR in two years ! But, a great place to stay is ESJ Towers. Here is the website. ESJ Towers 4 less: Puerto Rico beach front part apartment rentals for a fraction of the cost.. Again i haven't been there in two years but two years ago it was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or