U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 01:47 AM

5,709 posts, read 8,616,144 times

Advertisements

Has anyone driven the Dalton highway all the way to it's end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 06:06 PM

1,772 posts, read 5,612,337 times
Lots of stories on this on some of the motorcycle BBS's. It's not an easy trip. I'd love to do it someday.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:37 PM

well, I don't have the b*lls to do it all the way to the end but I would probably want to do it to the Arctic Circle north of Fairbanks.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:26 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,521,444 times
I did the Haul Road last September, letting someone else do the driving and be responsible for blown tires, etc. But it was a thrill of a lifetime! The round trip between Fairbanks and the Arctic Circle, stopping for lunch and dinner at the Yukon River where there's a place to eat with decent food, and a bathroom break in Joy going up and at Finger Rock on the way back toward the Yukon River, takes a minimum of 15 hours, usually 16 or more hours depending on weather and road conditions. My trip took 15 hours in perfect driving weather. Wet, mushy surface, falling rain or snow, and ice and snow on the road, take longer.

Driving on the Haul Road amounts to extreme conditions, especially since there's no help available and no resources. There's nothing at the Arctic Circle except a photogenic sign. So if you need a place to sleep or get vehicle help, you have to go north to Coldfoot or south to the Yukon River, both of which are hours away from the Arctic Circle.

Car rental companies in Alaska specifically prohibit driving on unpaved roads. So it's a great idea to pay professionals to do the work, since they've been doing it since the pipeline was finished and they really know how to do it. I recommend Arctic Circle Drive Adventure w/ Northern Alaska Tour Company

You should ask your questions on the Alaska forum. The people who know the really important information you need are on that forum.
Here are some threads on the Haul Road:

Driving the Dalton

Dalton Highway Tips/Info

Haul Road

Haul Road Experiences

Fuel on Dalton Highway

The Dalton Highway in October, November.

Alaska: What's The Dalton Road Like In Winter?

Last edited by allforcats; 10-05-2008 at 01:46 AM..

Old 10-07-2008, 03:35 PM

great bit of information, thanks allforcats!!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 PM

345 posts, read 1,137,019 times
I'll be working all up and down it this winter as soon as i finish up this work in Nome... Get me out of here!

Old 10-10-2008, 01:19 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,071,763 times
I traveled the entire length of the Dalton Highway with a van shuttle service just this past August -- from Fairbanks to Deadhorse. It was fascinating. I definitely would do it again. Before my trip, I read lots of horror stories about the Dalton Highway -- potholes the size of basketballs, 18-wheelers whizzing by at 100 miles per hour and forcing you off the road, need 2 week's worth of food and camping supplies, etc. Granted, I was lucky to travel in fairly good weather, but I still would say those reports are greatly exaggerated. There are a couple of hairy sections on the highway -- mostly closer to Fairbanks -- but most of the road is in pretty good shape, and more than half of it is gravel with a sealant (which is almost as good as paved). And there is a 50 mph speed limit throughout the length of the highway, which the trucks seem to obey (though we traveled on a Friday, and there was a lot of oncoming traffic of long-haulers going to Fairbanks for the weekend). The scenery is AMAZING throughout. We saw lots of private cars, even one sedan, on the road -- it looks like, if you play by the rules, you'll be fine. At Atigun pass, we met up with a group of 4 bikers from Australia, who had flown into Deadhorse and were now biking on Dalton Highway all the way down to Fairbanks. Now there's a trip!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,430 times
yes we drove the dalton in Sept of 2005. we rented a car from artic outfitters. Drove up in 2 days and back in one. great trip and am planning on doing it again in sept of 2010. Went to the artic ocean also.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 AM

12,329 posts, read 18,437,797 times
Post in Alaska forum for more info, probably some oil workers there that run it every week.
I took the parks highway only as far as Denali then planned to cut over on the Denali highway but got a flat tire, hairy enough on the remote Denali highway. Drove back the 400 miles to Anchorage and the rental car agency on a donut tire.
Officially I don't think you are supposed to take the rental cars on gravel roads, i.e. - north of Fairbanks.

Dalton highway is not that remote however - it's a main trucking biway up to the oil plants on the arctic (otherwise it wouldn't exist).

Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,591,644 times
It's definitely one of those must dos for me. I was just looking at some photos the other day and it's quite spectacular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or