U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 11-02-2008, 06:32 PM
 
Location: 43.55N 69.58W
3,231 posts, read 4,428,858 times
Reputation: 2907
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
A Go-around is about the most routine thing you can think of. I can do them in my sleep. I don't understand the wide-spread perception that this is somehow dangerous. This is the equivalent of going to put on your blinker to make a lane change, seeing that the lane is occupied, and waiting for the car to pass.
Thanks for the explanation! I appreciate it. I'm also happy you can do them in your sleep, however please try to stay awake, okay?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I, too, take a blanket now, and a neck pillow.

I came up with a trick to make the handling of my carry-on bag easier. I purchased one of those cheap $5 back-packs, which I placed into the carry-on. Once I passed Security I took it out and added the blanket & pillow, meds, and reading material into it (and my fanny-pack, too). It was still small enough to fit comfortably under the seat in front of me and have access. This also removed some bulk from the carry-on and made it easier to grab it and go. Cheating, I suppose, but no one has complained to me about it.
I don't think that's "cheating" at all. The backpack is actually a great idea and I think I'll try it. I travel with a very small (5 lb) dog in a rolling carrier so my hands are usually really full. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Actually I do. As a pilot, I get "XYZ, runway 12, cleared to land, number 3" all the time. In English, this means I'm cleared to land, but third in line. Say the guy in front of me takes a longer rollout for whatever reason. Chances are, I'm hitting the power.



Not to be a jerkoff, but maybe you shouldn't if that bothers you, as it can happen at any time. Pilots are trained to do that maneuver in their sleep. If you've only encountered one once, good on you, but being ready for the go is something every pilot is alert for on every final approach. I guarantee you it's much safer than the alternative. I've performed more go-arounds than I can count. "Routine" doesn't necessarily mean it happens a lot, but the aforementioned scenario shows that the normal operations envelope allows for them to occur, and thus go-around procedure itself is a routine one, and never causes any raised eyebrow in the cockpit. Contrary to many opinions, taking a go-around is the conservative approach to safety, compared to "bah, let's put it down!"

Although "plane on runway" may be the cause and often is, something as simple as sudden windshear can be enough to cause a pilot to use his judgement to take the go and try again after things calm down.
I'm really happy to have found this thread, I appreciate your knowledge and explanations.
Last year I was in Vegas and was staying at a hotel right under one of the most often used flight paths in to the aiport. I was amazed to see the number of planes lined up to land. The synchronized effort must be amazing. I watched planes coming in to land one right after another for hours. I think you guys do a great job. Now, if you could just teach the FA's to be as polite as you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 11-03-2008, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,646 posts, read 4,190,101 times
Reputation: 1453
Ah yes, I know it now. Never smelled it, and I hope I don't from the comments mentioned here.
Thanks "Toosday!"



Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosday View Post
Yes, believe it or not ... Angel comes in perfume and cologne form. It's horrid!

ANGEL Cologne For Men By THIERRY MUGLER 1.0 1 EDT Spray Refill price comparison

and apparently dangerous ....

Angel Perfume is DANGEROUS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-03-2008, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,646 posts, read 4,190,101 times
Reputation: 1453
yes "dream" I can imagine how it must feel to be allergic. I don't mind some colognes, but it would be nice if they were more subtle and natural-smelling, not like a cheap drug-store brand.
nothing wrong with something mellow. like what I use - "Heavenly" by Victoria's Secret. I don't overdo it.
When you adapt to a smell, you start to not notice it on yourself anymore, so you may tend to put more on, I think that's the main reason some people "drown" themselves in fragrance.
I'd hate to ban all colognes and perfumes! think of the alternative!



Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
perfumes and colognes should be banned-period! But they will never be. However, on a plane-no no no and please nooooooooo perfumes/colognes. If you aren't allergic to them,as I am; you have NO idea how dreadful the reaction to them is under the best of conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-03-2008, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,646 posts, read 4,190,101 times
Reputation: 1453
Hey again "fort Lauderdale" - I always "sneak" an extra small bag to use once I have cleared security. It just makes sense to do that!!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Thanks for the explanation! I appreciate it. I'm also happy you can do them in your sleep, however please try to stay awake, okay?




I don't think that's "cheating" at all. The backpack is actually a great idea and I think I'll try it. I travel with a very small (5 lb) dog in a rolling carrier so my hands are usually really full. Thanks!



I'm really happy to have found this thread, I appreciate your knowledge and explanations.
Last year I was in Vegas and was staying at a hotel right under one of the most often used flight paths in to the aiport. I was amazed to see the number of planes lined up to land. The synchronized effort must be amazing. I watched planes coming in to land one right after another for hours. I think you guys do a great job. Now, if you could just teach the FA's to be as polite as you are!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-03-2008, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,646 posts, read 4,190,101 times
Reputation: 1453
"tande" I see you're a pilot! I have 2 questions: I read a book about flying fears and it mentioned the "bells" or "chimes" that we hear. One means this, 2 means that, etc, etc. well it also said 4 means "urgent", now I have heard 4 chimes before and thought "OMG- we're going down!" (ok, maybe not entirely true!) but then there's no anouncement or anything, so what did the 4 chimes mean?

also, I HATE turbulence of any kind, something minor to someone else feels like we're going down to me, I know this is a ridiculous way to think, but what does turbulence feel like to you guys as pilots? on one flight, we got caught in the wake of another aircraft and we banked sharply to the right, I screamed and grabbed the poor ederly woman's hand sitting next to me!!
are these "bumps" just as unexpected for the pilots as they are for the passengers? (ok, just me?)
any insight would be great!



Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
Actually I do. As a pilot, I get "XYZ, runway 12, cleared to land, number 3" all the time. In English, this means I'm cleared to land, but third in line. Say the guy in front of me takes a longer rollout for whatever reason. Chances are, I'm hitting the power.



Not to be a jerkoff, but maybe you shouldn't if that bothers you, as it can happen at any time. Pilots are trained to do that maneuver in their sleep. If you've only encountered one once, good on you, but being ready for the go is something every pilot is alert for on every final approach. I guarantee you it's much safer than the alternative. I've performed more go-arounds than I can count. "Routine" doesn't necessarily mean it happens a lot, but the aforementioned scenario shows that the normal operations envelope allows for them to occur, and thus go-around procedure itself is a routine one, and never causes any raised eyebrow in the cockpit. Contrary to many opinions, taking a go-around is the conservative approach to safety, compared to "bah, let's put it down!"

Although "plane on runway" may be the cause and often is, something as simple as sudden windshear can be enough to cause a pilot to use his judgement to take the go and try again after things calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:10 AM
 
6,364 posts, read 8,176,048 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
"tande" I see you're a pilot! I have 2 questions: I read a book about flying fears and it mentioned the "bells" or "chimes" that we hear. One means this, 2 means that, etc, etc. well it also said 4 means "urgent", now I have heard 4 chimes before and thought "OMG- we're going down!" (ok, maybe not entirely true!) but then there's no anouncement or anything, so what did the 4 chimes mean?

also, I HATE turbulence of any kind, something minor to someone else feels like we're going down to me, I know this is a ridiculous way to think, but what does turbulence feel like to you guys as pilots? on one flight, we got caught in the wake of another aircraft and we banked sharply to the right, I screamed and grabbed the poor ederly woman's hand sitting next to me!!
are these "bumps" just as unexpected for the pilots as they are for the passengers? (ok, just me?)
any insight would be great!
hahaha, chimes thing that you read sounds like an internet rumour. Pilot guy could answer but my guess is it's dependent on the airline or even pilot, and if there were an emergency I doubt it would be communicated by chimes. Not like it's an FAA regulation to "use two chimes to indicate xxxx".

Turbulence. All I can say is the any turbulence you may feel in a passenger plane is NOTHING. Travel in an airforce plane or transport plane where the pilots don't have to concern themselves with passenger comfort if you want to feel turbulence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Earth
24,645 posts, read 12,716,866 times
Reputation: 11043
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
yes "dream" I can imagine how it must feel to be allergic. I don't mind some colognes, but it would be nice if they were more subtle and natural-smelling, not like a cheap drug-store brand.
nothing wrong with something mellow. like what I use - "Heavenly" by Victoria's Secret. I don't overdo it.
When you adapt to a smell, you start to not notice it on yourself anymore, so you may tend to put more on, I think that's the main reason some people "drown" themselves in fragrance.
I'd hate to ban all colognes and perfumes! think of the alternative!
I, too, am allergic to many colognes and fragrance products. I can go into anaphalaxis shock so I travel with a respirator.
I wish they were all banned. Soap and water work just fine, a little deodorant can go a long way. No one has to succumb to TV advertising; we really are good enough on our own.
People need to be considerate (and that comes with understanding) that in small and cramped spaces, it's not cool to add to the pollution.

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Fragrance-Product-Chemicals.htm: (broken link) they use carcinogens, desensitizers, etc. The desensitizers are what causes you to not smell your cologne.

Strangely enough, the colognes cover up our own pheromones that provide the natural and personal scent used in sexual attraction.

There was an article on a news show (within the past week or two) advising pregnant women to not wear fragrance products because of the possibility of birth defects and other health problems in the fetus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,646 posts, read 4,190,101 times
Reputation: 1453
Ohh! "Dd" - i don't think I could do that. I really thought that those chimes meant like at 10,000 feet, there's a chime to indicate the FA's to tell us when it's safe to turn on our radios, etc. and I think that's how the pilots communicate with the FA's because after 2 chimes, etc, I'll notice the FA going to a phone.
I'm so not a turbulence girl! I "white knuckle" it through the rough stuff, but again, what's mild to someone else is really scary to me! (this is when I usually increase the pills and wine! ha! kidding!........or am I?)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
hahaha, chimes thing that you read sounds like an internet rumour. Pilot guy could answer but my guess is it's dependent on the airline or even pilot, and if there were an emergency I doubt it would be communicated by chimes. Not like it's an FAA regulation to "use two chimes to indicate xxxx".

Turbulence. All I can say is the any turbulence you may feel in a passenger plane is NOTHING. Travel in an airforce plane or transport plane where the pilots don't have to concern themselves with passenger comfort if you want to feel turbulence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
3,646 posts, read 4,190,101 times
Reputation: 1453
Hmm, interesting "chielgirl", I'm sorry you have that difficulty, I am allergice to peanuts and I simply don't eat them, but someone eating them next to me is bothersome. but that lasts only a short time, since you don't get that many peanuts in the bag anyway! ha! but seriously, I can imaging an entire flight having the difficulty from fragrances.
Unfortunatey, some people are beyond just soap- water- deodorant! How effective would a ban be, I wonder? would people really adhere to that? Maybe there are some organic products that you do better with?



Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I, too, am allergic to many colognes and fragrance products. I can go into anaphalaxis shock so I travel with a respirator.
I wish they were all banned. Soap and water work just fine, a little deodorant can go a long way. No one has to succumb to TV advertising; we really are good enough on our own.
People need to be considerate (and that comes with understanding) that in small and cramped spaces, it's not cool to add to the pollution.

http://www.mindfully.org/Pesticide/Fragrance-Product-Chemicals.htm: (broken link) they use carcinogens, desensitizers, etc. The desensitizers are what causes you to not smell your cologne.

Strangely enough, the colognes cover up our own pheromones that provide the natural and personal scent used in sexual attraction.

There was an article on a news show (within the past week or two) advising pregnant women to not wear fragrance products because of the possibility of birth defects and other health problems in the fetus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
 
6,364 posts, read 8,176,048 times
Reputation: 6047
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Ohh! "Dd" - i don't think I could do that. I really thought that those chimes meant like at 10,000 feet, there's a chime to indicate the FA's to tell us when it's safe to turn on our radios, etc. and I think that's how the pilots communicate with the FA's because after 2 chimes, etc,
Oh yeah that I agree on, I've seen that, but I don't think they would use it to indicate an emergency. It seems on Delta 4 chimes means they are about to land and FA's need to get in there seat right now. On US Air who knows, it could mean the pilot needs a bag of peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top