Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2008, 04:04 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times

Advertisements

Anyone got a suggestion for a weekend trip out of Austin, anywhere really...?

I have visitors coming from UK for 2 weeks and they'd like to take the opportunity to see somewhere other than Texas too - they'd rather not drive long distances, but would probably fly and rent a car for 2-3 days.

They'd like ideas for a really interesting but not too commercial a place to visit... somewhere walkable - maybe a big town or small city, lots of beautiful scenery, and not too far to drive from the nearest airport.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Anyone got a suggestion for a weekend trip out of Austin, anywhere really...?

I have visitors coming from UK for 2 weeks and they'd like to take the opportunity to see somewhere other than Texas too - they'd rather not drive long distances, but would probably fly and rent a car for 2-3 days.

They'd like ideas for a really interesting but not too commercial a place to visit... somewhere walkable - maybe a big town or small city, lots of beautiful scenery, and not too far to drive from the nearest airport.

thanks!
I know you said somewhere out of Texas but I know some places in Tx that are really beautiful and unique to Tx... not a big town or a small city but lots of beautiful scenery and interesting sights and people to meet. Now is the best time to go to Big Bend in W. TX... they have had alot of rain and it is green and weather is perfect (not alot of tourist). It is only a 5 or 6 hour drive on I-10 and come back on 90 and stop at Judge Roy Beans. Stop at the Gage Hotel in Marathon for dinner or overnight then head for Big Bend. You can stay at the Chisos Mountain Logde in the park or stay in Lajitas at the Resort on the Rio Grande (better option) and take day trips to the park for hiking or scenic drives, Lajitas is just up the road from Terlingua which is another interesting place with lots of interesting characters, be sure and eat at the Starlight Theater on Monday eve when the whole town will be there for the two for one hamburger special and live music... very eclectic bunch and neat atmosphere... Wed eve at La Kiva the local bar/restaurant for a variety of local musicians performing. Book a river tour on the Rio Grande through Santa Elena Canyon with Big Bend River Tours and go in John's raft. Then head for the small town of Marfa and stay at the Paisano, go see the Marfa Lights, eat at the Food Shark under the Pavillion, take a drive out 2810 (breath taking scenery). Marfa is a pretty little town (artsy). When you leave Lajitas take 170 along the Rio Grande (very beautiful I hear) road was flooded when I was there... you can get to Marfa from this direction otherwise you will have to go through Alpine (the biggest town in the area)... all these places are in close proximity to each other so it will not be long drives but short scenic drives from one interesting little town to the next with lots of beautiful scenery inbetween. There were people from New York, Holland and all over to see this very unique part of Texas. You will not regret going and it will be well worth your time and your friends will be very impressed and pleased with your great getaway plans.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM

345 posts, read 1,276,967 times
get in a car and drive to houstin

Old 10-20-2008, 06:27 AM

9,285 posts, read 14,890,077 times
If they're willing to fly, that opens up a lot of places: Charleston SC, Savannah, GA, San Francisco, Ca, Boston, Ma, Newport RI, Providence RI
( I'm prejudiced ) all beautiful places and great to walk in. I'd love to suggest New Orleans since the historic parts are still intact- but I'm not sure about post flood conditions for tourists...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel