U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:47 PM

5 posts, read 11,116 times

Advertisements

Hola!

Does anyones has good sites to book cheap rent car in Europe? I am going to in a few weeks to Germany and England and a visit family in Spain. Maybe there is local companies who is cheaper then normal?

/Juan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,360,162 times
Renting a car in the UK could be ill advised. Although I'm sure you could specify a preference for automatic transmission (at greater expense), most European cars are stick shift.

UK cars are right hand drive, the gear shift is on the left. Their roads are right hand drive too. And the country is filled with round-abouts which shoot off in every direction, going counter clockwise to your training, and where you are also already driving on the wrong side of the road on the wrong side of the car, whilst shifting with your left hand.

I have been to the UK and Wales, ridden with English drivers all going counter this and the wrong side that, and I was blessedly grateful it was not me stuck in the multitude of roundabout circles trying to figure how to get off in the right place.

I know that Ireland discourages Americans from renting cars in their country due to the oppositeness of driving. Americans have been involved in some very nasty wrecks in Ireland where the drivers let their guard down for miliseconds and ended up driving head on into oncoming traffic.

Gas is also $9 a gallon over there.

Take the train[s]. Take the Tube. Take a bus.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:49 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,931,363 times
You can try AutoEurope (just be sure to save *all* receipts)
We have rented in Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy, Greece, France, Spain and Germany.
The husband did okay driving on the opposite side, I am not sure that I would have. To me, the only really *scary* driving was Rome.
I agree that the train is an excellent form of transportation, and the Underground, when it is working, can get you most anywhere you need to go.
But when it comes to reaching those tiny quaint towns, especially les beaux villages, a rental car cannot be beat.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:50 PM

3,860 posts, read 6,876,898 times
We rented a car in Ireland. I agree with azoria. The train is much easier and cheaper.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:09 PM

187 posts, read 557,951 times
We rented a car in Southern Ireland, requested automatic far in advance and arrived and there was no automatic. We lucked up and one was turned in shortly thereafter. If you do not take out their insurance, they will put a hold on your credit card of $10,000 to cover the cost of damage to the car. We found out after we returned that Southern Ireland and Jamaica are two of the places that your car insurance in the states will not automatically cover. Not sure about the other areas but let me just say I still have nightmares about driving on the wrong side of the road.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:58 PM

5,703 posts, read 8,609,914 times
Another + for AutoEurope, I did a 3 week rental with them in May in Germany and no complaints. Just make sure you ask them NOT to use EuropeCar since they have bad reviews. They will book you with someone else like Avis or Hertz.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:17 PM

12,304 posts, read 18,425,337 times
The dude isn't asking for advice on renting a car and driving in Europe, he's asking for cheap rates! I've driven in alot of countries, just about from one tip of England to another in Scotland, it's not that big of a deal.

Anyways - I've used autoeurope. No problems. I've also used some of the U.S chains and had good luck. Comparison shop and look for the deals. Sites like Orbitz and Yahoo travel can compare the rates on different car rental companies. Reserve in the U.S. to get your cheapest rate. There may be local companies in Europe that are cheaper but they probably aren't at the airport and probably have mileage and other restrictions.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 PM

176 posts, read 1,044,393 times
I rented a car for 45 days in Europe and got a great deal from Hertz. It was mandatory to buy insurance. I shopped around and they had a very competitive price and I knew the company was trustworthy and reliable. I even crashed it on one of my last days. Thank goodness for the insurance. Luckily it was still drivable and returning it right at the airport was no problem. That crazy intersection of more roads than I can count will always have a spot in my tiny brain.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,838,436 times
I'm living in Europe and still find the train to be of great convenience and relatively cheap.

Juan, it might be cheaper to fly from Germany to Spain and/or England.
Ryanair.com can give you some great deals.

I'm booking Germany to Morocco/return for €48.
It's cheaper Germany to London.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:56 PM

1,456 posts, read 3,764,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan González View Post
Hola!

Does anyones has good sites to book cheap rent car in Europe? I am going to in a few weeks to Germany and England and a visit family in Spain. Maybe there is local companies who is cheaper then normal?

/Juan
Avoid renting a car. Use public transpo.
Gas is expensive, so is parking if you find any!
Train, trams, subways, and buses are the cheapest way to go.
-Only my opinion-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel