Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 04:39 AM

464 posts, read 1,355,951 times

Advertisements

Im going to get a room next Friday night for me and 2 of my friends. Its just for 1 night..and the majority of the night we will be out paryting.

I am confused as whether to get a nice hotel (what I want) and risk having it not being used much that night. Almost everytime I've gone out my way to get 4 star hotels...friends have either trashed it or barely slept there that night and left me pretty pissed off.

However, I dont want to get a crappy motel either because this is a once in a blue moon type of deal where Im going back home for the weekend. In additon, some motels are just scary and gross.

Would it be worth it to get the one I want, or should I just find any place that has the basics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,249,670 times
Get your own room at the nice hotel and your friends can find their own lodgings. You don't say what age you are, but you are probably too old to be around people trashing rooms (I never understood that). If your friends don't want to stay at a nice hotel, you can always meet them somewhere.

Nice hotels have amenities that you will enjoy and maybe you will want to spend more time at the hotel, sans friends.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:15 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,018,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Im going to get a room next Friday night for me and 2 of my friends. Its just for 1 night..and the majority of the night we will be out paryting.

I am confused as whether to get a nice hotel (what I want) and risk having it not being used much that night. Almost everytime I've gone out my way to get 4 star hotels...friends have either trashed it or barely slept there that night and left me pretty pissed off.

However, I dont want to get a crappy motel either because this is a once in a blue moon type of deal where Im going back home for the weekend. In additon, some motels are just scary and gross.

Would it be worth it to get the one I want, or should I just find any place that has the basics?
There is no sense paying good money for a nice hotel room if you aren't going to appreciate and enjoy it. There are plenty of the "Middle of the Road" type hotels out there that does not require you to choose a 4 star or dump. Pick one of those.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
There is no sense paying good money for a nice hotel room if you aren't going to appreciate and enjoy it. There are plenty of the "Middle of the Road" type hotels out there that does not require you to choose a 4 star or dump. Pick one of those.

20yrsinBranson
I was thinking the same thing. Just something in between.

I wanted to get a place with a view, and I found some reasonable ones, but it would probably be used for only about 2 hours, and then 4-5 hours of sleep.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,056,523 times
I strongly recommend that you get your own room in a 3-star hotel.

You sound as though you have strong preferences, so that strongly suggests your own room. (And having your own room is a good way to practice not being judgmental of others.)
A 3-star hotel will avoid bedbugs and bad odors while you feel comfortably contented. Saving money is nice, but never when it's at the expense of your peace of mind.

Just remember that in ANY hotel room, never ever ever walk barefoot. And wear plastic or rubber flip-flops in the shower.

Have fun!!

Old 10-25-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Just remember that in ANY hotel room, never ever ever walk barefoot. And wear plastic or rubber flip-flops in the shower.

Have fun!!
...thats good advice. You never know who's been walking around with what, and Im sure they dont steam clean the carpet after every guest.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:40 AM

620 posts, read 1,946,881 times
I would suggest also that you get the middle of the road type hotel since its only one night! Certain hotels come to my mind when I think middle of the road so I think it depends on what you think middle of the road is. Some of the hotels if you sign up for there "clubs" online ( free) you get a late check out! It always helps if you are partying the night before. We have stayed at Holiday Inn and we always get a 1:00-2:00 check out! Have a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Ewwwww! I have NEVER EVER thought about the funk on the floor! I always worry about other stuff in the room but guess I missed that. Thanks lol. WE NEVER EVER lay/sit on the top bedspread. It is just gross because most places do NOT wash them after each guest. We pull that off soon as we get in a room!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:16 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,018,123 times
Quote:
...thats good advice. You never know who's been walking around with what, and Im sure they dont steam clean the carpet after every guest.
I have worked in the hospitality industry for quite some time and I don't think that hotel/motel carpets are necessarily any worse than the carpets in your home. I don't know anyone who steam cleans their carpet on a weekly basis either. Unless, of course, you take off your shoes when you enter the house, you are bringing the same germs, etc., that you would bring in anyway. In fact, most hotel/motel rooms are vacuumed every day. I wonder how may of us do that! (I don't).

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-26-2008, 06:20 PM

485 posts, read 1,311,449 times
NICE HOTEL = PEACEFUL SLEEP

Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,344,779 times
Quote:
I usually go for a place that's cheap but AAA-approved. Now I know that AAA-approved doesn't mean that it's going to be spotless and beautiful, but I feel better knowing that at least one person went to the hotel and thought it was "good enough".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel