Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,801 times

Advertisements

Would you move to a country you never visited? Can you really tell if you like to live in a country just by visiting or actually would have to live in the country to find out if it's really for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
In the olden days, people did make such moves, but today is different...unless I was fairly desperate, I would not make a permanent move to a country I'd never visited.
I once spent a summer in Spain having never been there before, but I knew it was just for three months--that's far different from emigrating to a new country.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,050 times
I'm one of the "olden days" people! I wanted to learn more about how people in other parts of the world define life, so from my roots in NYC I found a job in Japan, where I'd never been but knew from a lot of reading would be a culture from which I could learn a lot. I did all the negotiations and contract-signings, packed up my life, and moved to Tokyo. The contract was for one year. I stayed for 11 years.

I think one's flexibility, adaptability, open-mindedness and open-heartedness, and willingness to learn new ways of doing everything and even perceiving everything, determine just how much fun a "cold" or "blind" move to another country can be. If we see life as an adventure, and the universe as friendly, anything's possible, eh? Anyway, nothing is permanent, and we can always try things to see how they fit us, and move on if we want to, right? I wish you a joyous life-adventure!

Old 11-15-2008, 06:35 AM

52 posts, read 134,292 times
i love to travel and see different places but i can't risk all what i have now just to move to a place i've never visited. if it is not possible to visit the place personally, maybe ,you can do a little research about the place..

Old 11-15-2008, 06:41 AM

714 posts, read 2,305,892 times
For how long?

I would consider it. I once moved from Georgia to Washington, DC after spending a weekend up in DC. I learned nothing on that visit that in the long run really meant much about how I liked the place. I moved to Charlotte after coming down for 2 weekends.

The visits, while psychologically reassuring, really didn't give me the data I needed to make the decision. The decision was made based on my life situation and work at the time.

I'd research the heck out of another country, but I do not think I would *have* to visit it before deciding to move there. If I could never return, sure then I would. But every move is just a new temporary transition.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,516 times
I never visited most of the countries I've lived in. Actually.... until I lived there, I never lived in any of them! Of course, I only lived there for 2-4 years, but still, you never know when you arrive.

THe first country was England. I arrived as a college Junior. I didn't know where London was (I thought it was on the west coast). After that, Lithuania, Macedonia/Kosovo, Madagascar, Tajikistan, Georgia and now the Philippines.

It depends what you want in a country. For me, it's the reason to be there (a job, or just the experience of being in a certain country... with a job).

Life is long and nowhere needs to be forever!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
I would never move out of the state I live in. It is highly unlikely I'd move out of the city or county I lived in.

I want stability--some people consider that stagnation.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:55 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,892 times
TKramar, what some people call a "rut", you call a "groove".

Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
Yes, absolutely I would! My family moved to Australia when I was five, and only my father had been there for a short business trip prior to our move. Thankfully my mom was open to the move and I had a wonderful three years living Down Under!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:03 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,691,078 times
I think I could tell by reading travel books or by visiting if I wanted to live there. I could live in a place like Australia-which I have visited. I could aslo live in Iceland, which I have also been to, but it would a tad remote for me. I prefer the big city feel of Sydney and its surroungind neighborhoods.
but I would have to review a relocation guide before hand, just to know the tax laws, housing options, accessibility to public transport,etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog27 View Post
Would you move to a country you never visited? Can you really tell if you like to live in a country just by visiting or actually would have to live in the country to find out if it's really for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel