Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 12:21 AM

17 posts, read 46,715 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I will be driving (U-Haul, pulling car trailer) from Baltimore, Md. to Dallas/Fortworth,Tx., then on to Los Angeles, Ca. in December/January. (I will have my two pet cats along) I welcome any advice about the best/safest way to go, places to avoid for sleep-overs, what to point my camera at (good scenic routes). What are some good stops to make along the way?

Has anyone out there drove a U-Haul on this route and how long did it take you? Because of the time of year I'm driving, should I avoid some areas due to freeze storms, flooding? How about when I'm traveling from Dallas,Tx to LA? Seems I'll be traveling through desert alot of the time - what are some safty tips (besides not running out of gas, water, food)? I'm I missing anything?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Is anybody home? Am I posting this at the wrong place on this site? Can anybody direct me to another site to get these questions answered? Help pleaseeeeee....

Old 11-21-2008, 12:13 AM

124 posts, read 470,323 times
We recently drove fromd Maryland to San Diego, but we didn't go through Dallas. So I can't help much with specifics of the route. Unless you have lots of time and are willing to take side trips, sightseeing options will be pretty slim, and with your cats along for the ride not the easiest thing to accomplish anyhow.

I highly recommend using google maps to plan your trip. Decide how long you're going to take and how far you want to drive each day. The first couple of days are better for getting in long drives if you need to push yourself. It's better to do it before you get worn out from all the driving.

Since you're traveling with animals plan your motel stays in advance. Motel 6 has a good pet policy, but not always the greatest rooms. But, you're only there for one night so unless you're really squicked out by shabby motels you'll probably be to tired of driving to care. And if you happen to drive through Flagstaff, AZ-- avoid the Motel 6 there, it was pretty bad.

Print out all your maps and directions for each day, beginning and ending at your motel. I kept each day to two sheets and put them in a plastic page protector. I pulled each day out as I went. The page protector keeps both sheets handy without flipping around and keeps the pages weighted down so they didn't blow around so easily if I had my windows down at any point. Don't forget to throw away or stow the old sheets so you don't end up with the wrong one while on the road.

Keep your travel kit, small suitcase and the supplies for your cats in the cab of the truck or in your towed car. It's so much easier than trying to get them out of the back of the truck even when its packed by the door.

Enjoy your trip!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 PM

Default Thanks Hobgoblin!

The page protectors is a great idea! Although I think of myself as a great driver, I've never pulled a car trailer behind a truck (Baltimore to Texas), nor a trailer behind my car (Texas to LA) before, so I won't push myself too hard. I will work on getting down the road on the first day or two just to make sure I get the truck/trailer back within six days - that should be more than enough time....

Have to work on get travel kit together and google some advance weather patterns. Thanks again!
Earl

Old 11-22-2008, 04:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
If you take I-40 it runs on what used to be Route 66 through OK, NM, AZ into CA. DFW is about 3 hours south of OK City on I-35. Parts of this drive can be monotonous, but I think its better than I-10 and I20 through West Tx and NM AZ. You can stop in Amarillo and Flagstaff along the way, nice little towns.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:08 PM

Default Thanks for the advice Oildog!

That's what I've decided to do except, to avoid rainy, icy weather/roads, I'll be headed down Rt 95 to Rt 85, hit Rt 40 to Little Rock, Arkansas. From here I'll catch Rt 30 down to Arlington, Tx. Hopefully, I won't be on icy roads most of the way since it seems I will be leaving the end of Dec. or in Jan.

Thanks again,
Earl

Old 12-07-2008, 08:35 AM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Coming form Baltimore, I'd take I-66 from DC to I-81, and then take that to I-40. I did that drive coming back from DC and it was really nice....not a lot of traffic on I-81 at all. In fact, the only real city you go through between DC and Nashville is Knoxville...much less than if you take I-85. Most of the drive through Virginia is quite scenic also.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
If you don't mind all the trucking info in the front, Rand McNally makes a darn near bulletproof laminated trucker's atlas. It's spiral bound and lasts forever. HAs mileages between cities, too. Truck stops usually sell them for around $30. They're also available in large print editions, too.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Coming form Baltimore, I'd take I-66 from DC to I-81, and then take that to I-40. I did that drive coming back from DC and it was really nice....not a lot of traffic on I-81 at all. In fact, the only real city you go through between DC and Nashville is Knoxville...much less than if you take I-85. Most of the drive through Virginia is quite scenic also.
I love I-81 in VA & TN! Watch your speed, though; VA collects LOTS of fines...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel