U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 6,771,421 times

Advertisements

ok, now that I am starting to panic about this drive, I checked on shippingmy car, it's like 900-1000 dollars, a little rich for my blood, so about the section between Erie and Cleveland, what route can I take that would be better and not too terribly out of the way? what about past Cleveland, does it get better?
thanks, getting panicky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:35 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times
Sprtsfangal, you'd have to go QUITE a bit South to avoid the "lake effect" snow between Erie and Cleveland... The good news is that I-90 and the Ohio Turnpike have very good snow removal crews! Does it get better past Cleveland? Well, it's still the "Northern" route... Sorry, I can't sugar-coat it any better than that. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 PM

thanks, I need all the sugar-coating I can get though. I'ma chicken when it comed to winter, highway driving!! I'll just pray a lot, have AAA on speed dial, and perhaps a few xanax???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Sprtsfangal, you'd have to go QUITE a bit South to avoid the "lake effect" snow between Erie and Cleveland... The good news is that I-90 and the Ohio Turnpike have very good snow removal crews! Does it get better past Cleveland? Well, it's still the "Northern" route... Sorry, I can't sugar-coat it any better than that. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,283,590 times
If it turns out the weather is bad just slow down and take it easy. It's the people who are going faster than they should and than hit their brakes! On the major roads there should be enough traffic to keep is fairly clear. You can do this

Old 11-21-2008, 04:11 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,575,783 times
if it makes you feel any better, make an emergency kit to put in your car. flashlights, blankes, food, etc...

Old 11-21-2008, 04:26 PM

thanks. I think it will be a little better than driving through the mountains in winter. At least I hope so!!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:02 PM

Driftwoodpoint and Mommytotwo have it right! Just prepare your car, take along some good survival eqipment and just take it easy! Drive only as fast as you feel comfortable. If everyone else is going too fast for you, just pull over and take a break. Winter driving is not that difficult. Just leave more space than you would on dry roads. Start, stop and make turns at an easier pace than you would when the roads are dry, too. You'll do fine!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:13 AM

thanks!
would it be worth going down I-84, then cross over to I-80 instead of staying on 90 through Ohio and PA??

Quote:
Driftwoodpoint and Mommytotwo have it right! Just prepare your car, take along some good survival eqipment and just take it easy! Drive only as fast as you feel comfortable. If everyone else is going too fast for you, just pull over and take a break. Winter driving is not that difficult. Just leave more space than you would on dry roads. Start, stop and make turns at an easier pace than you would when the roads are dry, too. You'll do fine!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
thanks!
would it be worth going down I-84, then cross over to I-80 instead of staying on 90 through Ohio and PA??
Sportsfangal, if you're going from Boston to Denver, I'd drop down to I-70 and take it across. Weather will be an issue everywhere except maybe I-10... I-70 is far flatter than either of the more Northern cross-country routes. But the real hazard is the boredom in Western Kansas on I-70...

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM

yes, I've driven through KS, NE and parts of E. SD, I know all about boring! I'm more concerned with ice, wind, limited visibilty, etc.
So, I'll do 70, I'm not in any hurry and I will get a hotel if I feel I can't go further, but now I worry if I will need chains? I left mine in CO< so I don't have any with me now. Will I need them through KS or MO?

Quote:
Sportsfangal, if you're going from Boston to Denver, I'd drop down to I-70 and take it across. Weather will be an issue everywhere except maybe I-10... I-70 is far flatter than either of the more Northern cross-country routes. But the real hazard is the boredom in Western Kansas on I-70...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel