Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times

Advertisements

When you're far away from an airport, you just need to factor that part of your transportation into the total cost of traveling.

We did get lucky on long-term parking at the airport once---the lots were all full, and they directed us to the short-term employee lot. (they gave us a sticker so we wouldn't be towed) Well, we were gone 10 days, and when we returned, realized that because it was for employees, there was NO CHARGE!!!!! Saved us over $115!!!
Lovely!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 06:52 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,972 times
If you have friends in Houston, drive and park your car at their home. Either have them drop you off at the airport or take a cab. Hope you don't jump down on this suggestion too......

Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
If you have friends in Houston, drive and park your car at their home. Either have them drop you off at the airport or take a cab. Hope you don't jump down on this suggestion too......
Not jumping down on it, but so far, nearly all the suggestions require an imposition on friends. The whole idea of public transportation is to provide for those who do not have private means.

I just made a quick scan of my memory bank, and I cannot think of ANY friends I have, anywhere, who have room at their house for me to park my car. As I pointed out earlier, the "take a cab" option costs an average of $75one-way to the airport, depending on what part of Houston.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not jumping down on it, but so far, nearly all the suggestions require an imposition on friends. The whole idea of public transportation is to provide for those who do not have private means.

I just made a quick scan of my memory bank, and I cannot think of ANY friends I have, anywhere, who have room at their house for me to park my car. As I pointed out earlier, the "take a cab" option costs an average of $75one-way to the airport, depending on what part of Houston.
There is public transportation available to you, you just aren't happy with the options. You want to live outside of major metropolitan areas, you need to deal with the lack of on demand, minimal cost mass transit. It would be inconceivable to think about building up mass transit from rural areas to service anyone who ever wants to go anywhere for a minimal fare.

My friends would be more than happy to help me out if I were faced with your situation--with notice of course. I would do the same for them. Isn't that part of being a friend? As far as places to keep your car, think outside of the box. One of my former bosses used to park her daughters car in an outlaying area of the parking lot at our office campus. My brother "car sat" my car on the street in front of his aparment building for several months while I traveled years ago. He had to move it every other week for street cleaning--he would take my car to work that day and leave his parked in the lot space he got as part of his lease.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:25 AM

11 posts, read 69,468 times
You've gotten good suggestions about airport to/from travel...What I'd like to know is how to get around the world for $899? Actually, I need tickets from OKC to Germany - and the cheapest I've found were over $1000 each!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,285 times
125 miles is quite a bit. I live in Cincy and the rates at our airport are the highest in the country. So, like most Cincinnatians we fly out of Dayton which is about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes north. When i fly out we always have some one drive us up and someone pick us up. Unless its a short stay (3 days or so ) and we short term park for about 6 bucks a day. However, for 125 miles it may be hard to get someone to ride you over.....

G Man

Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,860 times
You're imposing on my patience by living so far from the airport. Fini

Honestly, it would be worth the extra money to me to fly local and not have to deal with any of the travel. What value do you place on your time? That's the big question.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,635 times
Car service, it's worth the extra money ... Or aska friend and pay him half of what car service costs. It's $160.00 for me, roundtrip and I'm about 40 miinutes from the airport.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I doubt that would save much. I suspect a one-day drop-off rental would cost as least as much as the other alternatives suggested. I'd be gone for a minimum of a month, more likely 2 or 3. so paying to park at the airport would cost more than my plane fare. I can park at the airport for $135 a month.
Have you really checked on the cost of a OW rental? I can generally do it in Chicago for $70RT.

Have you checked the local hotels to see if any offer a "fly and park" option?

Have you checked the HOU and IAH airport websites for ground transportation opportunities both from your house or from the bus station?

Have you communicated to your friends to see if you can coordinate a trip to Houston?

I am sorry but I am cheap and I manage to get around without paying a lot for parking or shuttles.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:30 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
This thread was started last November. Wonder if the OP is back from his trip yet?

We've paid people to take us to the airport if we were going to be gone for two weeks. We know lots of young adults that would do it for a reasonable price. Too bad we're in PA!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel