Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,547 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is an old thread that's just gotten revived. Anyway, I can't say I hate air travel so much that it's stopped me from traveling, but there are definitely some changes I'd like to see in airports:

1. A Japanese-style capsule hotel in the terminal. Basically, a place to crash for a few hours when you have to make a connection. Something that would provide another option besides booking a traditional hotel room 5 miles away or sitting in a chair for 4 or 5 hours. There should be some real sleeping space right in the terminal -- not within a 20-minute shuttle ride, but within walking distance from the gates; nothing fancy, just a shower and a bed. And it should be on a first-come first-serve basis; no reservations. There could be nice add-on services, like for example, having your clothes laundered and pressed while you sleep. I bet a place like that could turn a handsome profit.

2. A special suite of rooms for people with small children. It's a rare day in Mudville that I have anything positive to say about Mother Russia, but Moscow airport has done a great job with its mother-and-baby room. Basically, it's a space where toddlers can play, as well as separate, quiet rooms with real cribs and toddler beds, and bedding. And no, this is not another parent asking for "special treatment". Charge for this, by all means -- but it would make it a lot easier for parents to manage, and keep a lot of screaming kids and crying babies out of the common areas of the terminal. Essentially, it's an in-terminal day care center, except it's open round the clock and parents stay with their kids. I'd love to see other airports do this.

3. Open fancy lounges to everybody. Oh, I understand if you make it complementary for first-class passengers and charge coach passengers $100 to get in. Fine by me. But give people that option. A reasonably high entrance fee will still keep most folks out, but flying coach shouldn't be about being treated like "steerage".

4. A basic, inexpensive spa. Not a fancy place where they do $100 manicures with reservations booked weeks in advance. No, I am talking about a place with showers, a jaccuzzi, a sauna and a steam room. Basically, just a place to relax and refresh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
I like your Japenese style sleeping capsule the most...that would be nice...better than seeing people, wore out tired people, sleeping on the floor between seats...

Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
2. A special suite of rooms for people with small children.
I agree. but if its reserved for them, make them use it. All the buggers and their parents need to use that lounge when traveling. They are prohibited from being in the general passneger lounges until their flight is called. If they get a special lounge, they use the special lounge.

While at it, group them all in the same section of the airplne so all the smells and sounds are among themself. maybe if all the parents were forced to endure the other smells and noise from their brats, they would try to control them a little better.

Quote:
2. 3. Open fancy lounges to everybody.
They are. The entry is not based on your class of ticket, its membership. You buy a membership to the club for a year. Some let you buy a day pass or one-time use pass. Some provide a comp for first class, but thats a guest membership for that trip. Check with the airline for rates. I have two membership on the two airlines I use the most and with the most lounges where I travel. Most have agreements with other airlines for locations they don't have lounges. If I fly to Asia on our flight and we have several hours for turn around, I'm not sitting in some waiting room or terminal, I'm heading to the Club.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
3. Open fancy lounges to everybody. Oh, I understand if you make it complementary for first-class passengers and charge coach passengers $100 to get in. Fine by me. But give people that option. A reasonably high entrance fee will still keep most folks out, but flying coach shouldn't be about being treated like "steerage".
Most Clubs will sell you a one day pass for about $100.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
I would like to make a small correction to a previous post. No airline in the US is allowed to fly with fewer than 1:50 flight attendants/passenger. that means ONE flight attedant per 50 passengers. Southwest airlines is no exception. They do not fly with more or fewer. Its a FAA regulation. Its for your safety.

As for bad crew attitude, I can only say that it is an individual thing. Yes, I know that there are some who have a bad attitude. Please do not assume that we all do. I flew a trip this week during which I got 4 "above and beyond" letters for good service from my passengers. Some of us really DO care about your travel experience

Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I actually like it a lot. Sure saves time!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I havent flown in quite some time, and for someone who use to love flying...grew up watching the old movies about the old constellation airliners, and what they would call the golden era of flight.
Golden age is an accurate term. You needed a sack of gold to be able to afford to get on an airliner.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Golden age is an accurate term. You needed a sack of gold to be able to afford to get on an airliner.
Yes, your probably right...
http://halifax-research.com/blog3/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/yhz1.png (broken link)

But I can imagine how it felt...it must of been more like boarding a space ship going to the moon...back when science was still new...even though the prop planes were smaller...I bet they mentally felt larger...back when they had the ramps, and you walked over the tarmac...and up the ladder/ramp...and looked at the huge blades...and smelt the fuel...ahh...
what an adventure that must of been...the build up to take off must of been the most exciting part...hearing the big Royals Royce engines crank up...watching the blades increase speed, until they became a blur...as the stewerds walked up and down the isles calming nerves...

Oh how I yearn for those days again...(not that I ever lived them, but it's fun thinking about it)
http://www.flightsim.com/fs2004/cent6/377.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I would like to make a small correction to a previous post. No airline in the US is allowed to fly with fewer than 1:50 flight attendants/passenger. that means ONE flight attedant per 50 passengers. Southwest airlines is no exception. They do not fly with more or fewer. Its a FAA regulation. Its for your safety.

As for bad crew attitude, I can only say that it is an individual thing. Yes, I know that there are some who have a bad attitude. Please do not assume that we all do. I flew a trip this week during which I got 4 "above and beyond" letters for good service from my passengers. Some of us really DO care about your travel experience
I fly fairly often, and I've got to say that it's totally a mixed bag. Last fall we had a FC FA who hated her job, hated her life, it was so obvious that most of the FC customers commented on it.

By the same token I've had wonderful FA's who went above and beyond to make my flight enjoyable. It doesn't matter which airline (I've flown US, SW, and JB in the past year and had good and bad with both) or which route or which class of service you are in. There are good and bad all around.

This is not a new phenomenon, I had one of the worst FA experiences ever 20 years ago on Untied. In fact that was the straw that broke the camels back (after many others including a "crash" landing) that made me decide never to fly that carrier again.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:08 PM

If there was an airline that still flew the old style prop type airplanes, like from the 60's and 50's...I'd fly it, instead of the usual boreing dull 737's...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel