U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:24 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,622,568 times

Advertisements

Yup, they are routing that trip about like I said. Right by lil Bluefield if he wants a peek in there, nothing like up close and personal.

About 1200 miles to Paradise, giving 18 hours - 26 minutes. Freeway driving all the way, cruising in style.

Should be time to Rock n Roll, this might be the right move. Oil City does sound interesting. Tho if you read the local newspaper there is this browha about licensing of landlords and a big fight over "Blighted Neighborhoods". Exactly what are they talking about with this Blighted Stuff, we never have heard about that before. See:

http://www.thederrick.com/stories/02272007-2002.shtml (broken link)

Should be able to guessimate the gas costs pretty good. 2400 miles divided by MPG expected by the vehicle times $2.30. Good compact car or van should be able to do if for a tad over $200 round trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 01:31 PM

2,349 posts, read 9,675,381 times
Refering to the original question fly or rent a car whichever you prefer but DO NOT drive your own. I am an addicted driver and prefer to drive even if it's 1500 miles away. I love to drive. But this summer we traveled to the beach (6 hours away) with 1 toddler, 2 young children myself and a friend. My truck broke down! It cost $900 to fix, $180 for 2 days car rental and not to mention the hassle and mental anguish. It just about ruined our vacation. Please please please take my advice! If you get a rental and have any problems you can just turn that bugger in.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:53 PM

911 posts, read 3,249,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Where are you going to find a hotel/motel for $30/nite?

Maybe he could stay in the one's that charge by the hour...

Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,349,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Cosmic, wrote a great description of what I think of as the "other America". The other America is found in many parts of the country that have been economically bypassed and left so far behind, that it is almost a shock in comparison to life the metro areas and small cities and towns that are part of the mainstream society and economy in our country.
I was in VA a couple of years ago on a trip to Mt. Rogers, staying near a nice town called Damascus. This is a real nice area of VA about 80 mi southeast of Roanoke. Decided to take a side trip up to W VA to New River gorge to see the bridge and the gorge. This is the bridge shown on the quarter dollar coin for W VA, famous for the (somewhat crazy) people that "base jump" off the bridge every year. I also went through Bluefield and stopped there for a look around. A former co-worker from that town and had told me a few stories about the place. It's amazing what a difference there is upon crossing from VA to W VA. I hate to generalize or "bash" places, but there is a pervasive sense of malaise and hopelessness and lack of local pride. You could tell that everything that could go wrong for a town did go wrong, and it was "game over". This was no joke my friends, it was sober and harsh.
Needless to say, didn't spend the day there. Went on up to New River gorge, and later up I 77 to Beckley. Beckley is trying to bill itself as an outdoor recreation mecca and a good town for retirees. Yes, there's quite a bit of outdoor recreation around, and it look's like there's a few new things in town but it is still surrounded by many depressed towns in a state that is largely depressed.
What do towns in the "other America" have as a common denominator? Significant population loss in a short time. People vote with their feet better than they vote at the polls. What does Bluefield or Beckley WVA have in common with places like Oil City? Population decline. Oil City is the winner in that category with 5 percent decline in 5 years, probably one of the steepest losses of any town of its size in America, double the decline of Bluefield.
Recycled, as much as I enjoyed driving through SW Virginia, WV and PA, I agree with a lot of your opinions. Despite the very nice travel plaza at Beckley and the Tamarack exhibit, I'm not sure most folks in that area aren't just struggling along, day-to-day. PA is one of my favorite states to truck through (especially with my company paying the PA Turnpike tolls! ) In all fairness, I've never been off the interstate highways in the Oil City area (picked up PPG Glass in Meadville a number of times...) But PA is scenic. Just not sure I'd wnat to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or