Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times

Advertisements

Better count on $50-60 a night. I'm sitting here in front of the Traveler discount guide and the nearest to Oil City I see (geez, now you've got me doing it) are the Comfort Inn at Barkeyville ? and the Super 8 at Brookville off Rt 80 and they've both for walk-ins (w coupon) if they aren't full.

Don't know why you'd think they'd be cheaper in the north?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 11:25 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
I've never seen a hotel for $30/night. The cheapest I've ever seen was around $50/night and this was a fleabag motel in rural Tennessee. Really, it's a bit unrealistic to say this is a non-negotiable rate. I mean, what will you do if you can't find a hotel for $30/night? Just give up, not come up and nix the whole Oil City idea? I doubt it. You need to be more realistic with your costs and realize that some things in life just cost more money than you'd like to pay and you just have to suck it up.

For the record, I vote for flying, and I would have your mom stay home, and I'll point out that if you're willing to spend enough on the plane tickets for the three of you, the difference in cost you'd save from your mom staying home would recoup the cost of the hotel.

Last edited by dullnboring; 02-25-2007 at 11:53 PM..

Old 02-25-2007, 11:27 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Before booking your flight or hotel, maybe you should take this into consideration:
Quote:
The Allegheny River at Oil City freezes occasionally during the winter
which may sometimes result in ice jams. Flooding of the River Flats is
a possibility throughout the year due to ice jams, excessive snow melt,
large volume storms and hurricane & tropical storm remnants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_City,_Pennsylvania
(I wonder if Google is puzzled by the sharp spike in searches for Oil City, PA info.)

Old 02-25-2007, 11:37 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
Oil City PA...I thought it was Oil City OK..

Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Better count on $50-60 a night. I'm sitting here in front of the Traveler discount guide and the nearest to Oil City I see (geez, now you've got me doing it) are the Comfort Inn at Barkeyville ? and the Super 8 at Brookville off Rt 80 and they've both for walk-ins (w coupon) if they aren't full.

Don't know why you'd think they'd be cheaper in the north?

Ive been searching and even in London, England theres many hotels for around $50(about 25 pounds) We went to London and paid only 24 pounds per person and got a huge suite at that Theres many hotels in Los Angeles for $30 to $50 and some as cheap as $20! I think $30 is more than reasonable for Oil city which is a cheap location!

Quote:
The Allegheny River at Oil City freezes occasionally during the winter
a possibility throughout the year due to ice jams, excessive snow melt,
large volume storms and hurricane & tropical storm remnants.
already spoke to a local, 99% of the Oil city houses arent in a flood zone.

Cosmic, great post! I cant wait to see the pictures! Perhaps you could start a new thread titled "Bluefield, the harsh reality"

I want to visit any city on my list so I can check it out to see if its a good location for me. I arent staying in south FL, even you wouldnt like it there.

Quote:
Bluefield is nothing like you said, or hoped for, nor is it like the representations one can glean from messing around on the Web. Would take a major effort to really understand what is going on. One of the most strange places I've seen in a long, long time. Now I fully realize what my neighbor meant when he said no way.
Wow was Bluefield that bad? Please get into details. Did it look run down? Was there any good areas? Did you check out any of the shopping, including the Walmart they have? Did it feel full of crime despite a low crime index of 260(compare to 900 for West Palm Beach!) Id like to know all the pros and cons of Bluefield.

Quote:
I took a bunch of photos, don't know it will convey the actual situation. Maybe I would be hard put to do it in words.
Id love to see the photos, start a new thread if neccessary. If the photos look good, explain exactly what I should be looking in the photos thats so bad? Did you take photos of the good parts of Bluefield or just the bad?

Quote:
Somehow you must pay the dues to bridge what is going to be a big change in culture and see it over enough time / seasons to understand the positives / negatives. The sad part is the 50K type house might really exist, in fair shape, it might be true in a place like Bluefield. There is just so much else to understand.

I am willing to accept the change from south FL. The crime, weather, hurricanes, insane house prices, traffic, etc suck. I can always live in Woodsfield, OH if I dont find any other place. You love Woodsfield and I have never seen anyone say anything bad about it. Plus Woodsfield, OH has plenty of cheap houses. I remember you told me one seller was selling two houses for $30k(for both) and you said I could probably negotiate the price down to $20k. The big house needs some repairs but the smaller house is in livable condition I could live in the small house while doing repairs to the bigger house or just use the big house as a storage area for my "stuff"

Quote:
Bluefield is a real trip in the true sense of the word. Think it answered that basic question I posed, why are there so many places for sale, why are they so cheap, what are we missing here???? Wow, I just was not ready for the real answers. And I've seen my share of other WV places. So do these factors parallel what is happening in Oil City??

Do tell me with what you know from your observations! I sure hope Oil city is much better, ive spoken with a few locals and no one said anything bad about Oil city except its "depressed" and you cant get a job. Im self employed and hopefully will make around $40k a year with my home internet business but only need half that to live a middle class life in Oil city, very low costs of living. Woodsfield is also an option.

Quote:
After today I understand why millions of people are not rushing into a situation that is too good to be true. Duh, the reality doesn't match the hype. Might be millions in writing books on a number of these places. Everybody is looking for Paradise these days.

I am not looking for some fantasty paradise, I just want a good, safe location with correctly priced inexpensive houses and four seasons(but mild winters) So far I know Woodsfield is a great option, after all you live there and love it and my research shows it has just 70 crime index Is Oil city a good bet as well? I hope so! Theres some other good areas in WV, OH and PA to be investigated as well. I could live in a Pittsburgh, PA suburb and get a nice house for $50k Why should I pay more elsewhere? My state FL is extremely expensive

Old 02-26-2007, 01:05 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post

I am not looking for some fantasty paradise,
I just want a good, safe location with ...
four seasons (but mild winters)
There was an important point here that you missed.

"The Allegheny River at Oil City freezes occasionally during the winter
a possibility throughout the year due to ice jams, excessive snow melt..."

Rivers don't freeze in places with mild winters!

Old 02-26-2007, 01:11 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
My definition of a mild winter is anything zone 7a and up with an annual minimum temperature of zero. Oil city is the coldest zone that I am willing to live in. There are much colder places that can go down to -20, -30 or on occasion even -40! Oil city has not gone below -7 since 1990-present. Also dont forget that you are rewarded with milder, cooler, shorter summers in a colder zone and I hate hot weather!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
another option
you could fly into Phila
I just booked my flight there for $49 each way on southwest
then rent a car and drive to Oil City maybe 7 hours
the rental deal I got was $61 for 2 days 6 hours

Old 02-26-2007, 06:46 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,070 times
I would prefer to fly if it is that far away,I hate to spend that much of my vacation time in a car.If time wasn't an issue driving would be great because then I could take the time and stop at different destinations on the way.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:35 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Theres many hotels in Los Angeles for $30 to $50 and some as cheap as $20! I think $30 is more than reasonable for Oil city which is a cheap location!
You're right about these prices for hotels in L.A., but you know why they're so cheap? Because prostitution and drug use are rampant, and these hotels are in terrible areas. Unless you want to sleep with a gun under your pillow, I'd advise finding a hotel for $50 and up - even in Oil City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel