Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM

204 posts, read 751,944 times

Advertisements

What places would you really love to visit, but haven't got to yet?

One of my goals in life is to visit all 50 states, but I'd really love to visit...

Florida Gulf Coast, San Diego, Charleston, the Southwest deserts, New England, NYC, Alaska, Chicago, Key West, and the Adrionacks of NY, (The Adrionacks will probably be my future home).

Outside of the US, I'd like to visit the UK, Australlia, and Okiwana (tropical island in Japan)

This will also be my last topic here. I'm leaving the board. Goodbye CD members!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:23 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Yellowstone Park--I'd LOVE to go there! One day, I will. But, everytime I head west, I seem to end up in Vegas----wonder why????

Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
Tropical: Seychelles, The Maldives
Mountain: Bhutan, Nepal, Patagonia
Cultural: India, Ecuador, Peru
Extreme: Antarctica & Summit, Greenland

Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM

714 posts, read 2,306,956 times
USA:
- Seattle, WA
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming
- Parts of Texas
- Memphis, TN
- Oregon (wine country)
- Napa Valley
- Alaska - the places I haven't already been - Fairbanks, Barrow, Nome, Denali

Canada:
- Nova Scotia
- Vancouver

Mexico:
- Tijuana (just have to see the place for myself)

South America
- Peru
- Brazil

Africa:
- Morocco
- Try a safari somewhere - wherever it is they do those things
- Egypt

Australia
- Sydney
- Perth
- Brisbane
- New Zealand

Europe/Asia
- Belgium
- Ireland
- Sweden
- Norway
- Spain
- Portugal
- Czechoslovakia
- Turkey
- Russia
- China
- India

Old 12-02-2008, 11:33 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Sooo many places

Greece, specifically Santorini, Athens, Rhodes, Crete and maybe Delphi

Rome/Vatican City and Pompeii/Herculaneum, possible Sicily

Egypt - the pyramids, valley of the kings, etc

I'd like to see China - the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, Terracotta Army, etc but I'm not sure how realistic it is. While living in England, budget airlines make travelling mainland Europe very possible but I think if I'm going to spend a lot more on airfare, I'd rather go see my family in the States.

I'd also like to see the Angkor Temples but I don't know how realistic that is.

Even more unrealistically, I'd love to go somewhere in the South Pacific and stay in one of those bungalows on the water. But wow, way too expensive, never going to happen, lol.

When we move back to the States it should hopefully be realistic (airfare wise) to see Machu Picchu, Chichen Itza and Teotihuacan.

There's also still tons of places I want to see while I'm living in the UK. I was to go to NI for the Giants Causeway and all that. Scotland (Edinburgh and I want to see the countryside too). Hadrian's Wall. Stonehenge, loads of various towns and castles or ruins I've found online. Oh and the Isle of Man.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Tahiti/Bora Bora.

The great barrier reef.

Also want to do an African safari.

After that, I'm done.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Sooo many places

Greece, specifically Santorini, Athens, Rhodes, Crete and maybe Delphi

Rome/Vatican City and Pompeii/Herculaneum, possible Sicily
Greece is spectacular. We've been twice. Santorini and Crete are must-dos. In fact, we spent 4 days in Crete and we felt it wasn't nearly enough. (Oh darn! I guess we'll have to go back!)

Santorini is where we went for our honeymoon, and we went back again this year as part of our trip, for 5 days. Stunningly beautiful. You simply cannot take a bad picture there, as long as the island is a part of it.

Athens - You'll fly in and out of here, so spend 2 nights at the beginning or end of your trip. No need for more. I only say 2 nights so you don't have to rush to get it all done in half a day.

Rhodes, did not impress us. This was back when we used a travel agent and I think she just didn't have us in an ideal location, but it was a big island with little that interested us. (We're not beach people.)

Rome is spectacular. When you go there, consider Rome Walks (Welcome to RomeWalks!) for your tours. They are walking tours, very small - maybe up to 8 people, guided by English speakers - almost always American grad students who have majored in art and history. They know their stuff! We did the Rome Walks tour of the Vatican and their nighttime walking tour and we just loved them.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:10 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
I wanted to go to Santorini for our honeymoon! But the husband had used up all his vacation days (long story) so we took a weekend trip to Pisa instead.

Rhodes interested me because there's a few historical sites I'd like to see. But I do like beaches as well.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 PM

PA2UK - yes, the history aspect of Rhodes is great. My husband liked it very much. Me, not as much.

Oh, and regarding your original post, is it Fiji with the huts over water? I want to do that too! Yeah, not gonna happen, sadly.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The -stans of Central Asia. But I have heard that they are just horrendously trying places to visit. Expensive, terrible red tape, huge distances between anything, very angry people (not angry at us, they just hate life in general), everything is run by left-over Russians still lording it over the people. But how can you not want to see places like Samrkand and Tashkent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel