Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 11:57 PM

6 posts, read 14,032 times

Advertisements

Hello every body,

I love the natural beauties,love to see snow capped mountains, caves, canions, water falls, deserted & semi deserted valleys & hills, green forest, river valleys,and canoeing in river & boating on lakes. I love to do treks & tours. I've done about 25 times treks to mt.everest base camp,annapurna base camp & other many mountains of Nepal & Tibet. Now I've a big dream to see mountains around Alaska,USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Sounds like fun.
Do you have a question?

Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 AM

6 posts, read 14,032 times
Default Hi

Hi allforcats,I am interested to know that what is the highest mountain in Alaska,USA where I can trek? Would be good help to know it,

Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
The highest mountain in Alaska is called Denali (de-NAH-lee), or the English-language name is Mt. McKinley.

Denali is 6,195m high. His head is in the jet stream, and he creates his own weather. In the native language, "Denali" means "The High One". He is extremely beautiful, powerful and formidable. I have met Denali, and I love him.
Mount McKinley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Denali Basecamp Mt McKinley Alaska

You miight find this particularly interesting:
Himalayan Sherpa Treks & Expeditions, Seattle - Kathmandu - Mt. McKinley (http://himalayansherpa.com/mt.-mckinley/ - broken link)

An interesting day-by-day report:
Craig van Hoy's Featured Climbs&Treks - Mt. McKinely (http://www.gotrek.com/trips/featured/2004_MtMcKinley.htm - broken link)

Here are some trek resources:

Climb Mt. Mckinley With Alaska Denali Guiding - McKinley Expeditions - Hiking - Climbing

Denali Mount McKinley Guided Climbing Expedition with Alpine Ascents International

Denali Alpine Wilderness Trek | denali | mt. mckinley | alaska backpacking | trekking | wildlife | alaska range | talkeetna | floatplane
Attached Thumbnails
Treks & tours-denali-north.jpg  

Last edited by allforcats; 12-02-2008 at 04:33 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 04:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
The links provided probably give you lots of information. This is my advice, having been to both Nepal and Alaska (although short of base camp at each locations):

I don't think you can really "trek" to Denali as most climbers take a plane to the base camp. After that the climb becomes technical - but if I am not mistaken you are just interested in hiking/treking not mountain climbing, the base of Everest is not covered by developed trails. Most serious hikers also take planes to the more remote areas to hike in, some of which have never been walked over by humans. It makes for a breathtaking experience, but you have to be seriously self-reliant and well prepared with the proper equipment. The main difference is, on the trails in Nepal, you have many villages, lodges, etc. In Alaska you will be on your own, you have to carry your own food and shelter. No villages, no people, sometimes no trails. Use of pack animals is rare and hiring people to carry the loads (Sherpa's) is almost unheard of.

The season is short, you don't have the high altitudes of Nepal, except very near Denali, but you have a long winter. Tundra walking is not easy, particularly in the spring when the ground is still wet. It's like walking on a sponge. You may need to ford fast flowing rivers. Medium altitudes (2,000 meters and above) may be snow covered all year.

You may be walking in national park (particularly around Denali) or other national or state controlled land and may need certain permits to camp. You certainly need that in Denali National Park, which I have hiked.

You also have wildlife - bears, etc. Carrying a rifle is not unheard of and a necessity in some areas.

So keep that under consideration. Treking in Nepal was amazing, but I wouldn't call it wilderness. I was amazed at the number of little villages in the mountains. In Alaska you have none of that - just wilderness.

Namaste

Last edited by Dd714; 12-02-2008 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel