U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:27 PM

158 posts, read 342,131 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Okay so I'm trying to plan a vacation for myself and my boyfriend. We are both in our early twenties. We've been tossing around some ideas but my Boyfriend is totally not helpful in this process so I would love some help.

These are the things we've settled on:

-Travel anytime from Late may to late July.
-We want to keep cost 700 pp or less
-Somewhere warm, Carribean, Cancun etc.

Other things to keep in mind:

- My parents work for the airlines so i get free airfare and he will get
seriously reduced airfare, but my mom is actually going to pay his
airfare to thank him for all of his computer work (he's a computer
guy)
- We would like to go somewhere outside of the US
- I'm all for a cruise, he's hesitant but if we did a cruise we would
want it to be shorter (no longer than 5 days)
-We would both be fine with an all inclusive but it doesn't have to be
as long as we could stay under our ~700 price range
-He's willing to take 5 days off work, so we're looking at 5-7 days?
but we're not set on a certian number of days.

So have you been anywhere excellent you would reccomend? My biggest concerns with all inclusives are some of the reviews I've read online. Any helpful sites you would reccomend using? I'm open to anything & I really appreciate your help. I've been looking around a lot, doing a ton of reserach online etc. for several months but I'm having a hard time deciding & would appreciate reccomendations or any advice/tips !! thanks

Last edited by rose125; 12-03-2008 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
Since you get free airfare, you can go to India, and the two of you together can easily have clean but basic lodging and three nutritious meals a day and ground transportation for about $10 a day. (My wife and I did it on less than that, but that was 12 years ago). Do you have two months to spend there? You can do it for not much moire in the Andean countries of South America---Bolivia, Peru, Ecueador, Colombia. Figure $20 a day, and you still have more than a month.

Don't be afraid of Colombia. It's a beautiful country, the people are delightful and very hospitable. But always tell local people where you plan to go next, and pay attention if they tell you not to go there. There are still danger spots.

Oh, wait---you said five days? Anywhere in Latin America, there is absolutely no reason to pay more than about $30-40 a day double for as nice a hotel as you would ever want. Spend your days exploring the area and finding quaint places to eat, $5 per person would be a splurge. No advance reservation ever required---just walk up the desk and have them show you a room. Unless, of course, you go to a touristy beach resort.

Plane fare is no object? Fly down tp Punta Arenas , Chile. It's summer down there, and thats in Tierra del Fuego. It's like Alaska. The tours to the glaciers and national parks are incredible.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-03-2008 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 AM

2,537 posts, read 8,128,986 times
You might consider Tulum, Mexico. You can take the bus from Cancun to Tulum for just a few bucks. The Tulum beach zone is lined with numerous palapa-style lodgings ranging from rustic sand-floored huts to rather posh lodgings, with prices from $10/nt. all the way up to $350/nt. You can get a nice room for $100/nt. or less, though. The food in Tulum (both the zona playa and in Tulum Pueblo) is awesome, but I wouldn't say its remarkably cheap. The beaches are incredible, and there are some nice sites nearby including cenotes, Mayan ruins, etc... You can even get a great seaside healing massage from a Mayan shaman for only about $70!

Another option might be Nicaragua. I've not travelled there, but have researched it extensively and may be headed there in 2009. San Juan del Sur has beautiful beaches and affordable lodging. Granada is a colonial town on a huge lake with volcanos nearby. There is also a mountainous interior with cloud forests, coffee plantations, canopy tours, etc... Throughout the country, lodging is relatively cheap, bus service is very cheap and readily available, and I've read that food can also be quite a bargain. I've basically heard that Nicaragua is like Costa Rica only far less expensive.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 AM

3,508 posts, read 12,165,331 times
Cozumel is nice and you will both have a nice romantic time!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:28 AM

3,851 posts, read 9,448,416 times
Keep in mind that June and July are going to be in the hurricane season, so planning a trip to the Carribean or the Yucatan is somewhat risky. May should be fine and probably early June.

What is the objective of your vacation? Do you just want to lay by the pool and read a book or are you interested in exploring cultural and unique things about your destination? Cruises will probably offer you the leat opportunity to explore and see what other countries have to offer. All inclusives are OK, but again, if you never leave the compound, you might as well save youre money and stay in the US.

I think anywhere on the Mayan Riveria will give you a great opportunity to get the best Mexico has to offer. LocoGringo is a travel site that specializes in that part of Mexico.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,752,136 times
Costa Rica would be a good choice.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:04 PM

158 posts, read 342,131 times
Thanks everyone,I'm going to do some more research on the places you've listed- I appreciate your help

Old 12-04-2008, 01:35 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,664,003 times
I've been to Cancun and it was great, very relaxing, people were so nice. Being that you don't have to pay for airfare, Cancun should definitely be in your price range.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,243 times
Hello there.
Me and my husband are planning a mini vacation week, when his kids come for spring break. we are in our late 20s and are kids that will be attending with us will be: 12,12,10,7,6,4 and a baby but don't count him lol. we are looking to be in the Seattle wa. area. I know that we have pretty much done everything around here but still want to have a fun filled week. thanks so much Candice

Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,742,630 times
How much money do you have to spend? That is quite a bunch of kids...are you looking for a hotel, or staying with family? There is alot to do there...but we need to know more about your budget...cheap or reasonable, or anything goes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or