U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-12-2008, 05:27 PM

364 posts, read 1,032,766 times

Advertisements

Is it okay to bring hangers (the wooden kind, the the metal top) in your carry on luggage? I would assume so, but you never know. Couldn't find anything by doing a google search. Flying American Airlines if it matters. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 11:12 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,454,312 times
Hi. I never take metal hangers because they'll show up in the x-ray and might be a security problem (the curved metal "hook" part could be used as a weapon). I take only thin plastic hangers, which are also lighter in weight.

Here's the final word, the TSA. In the "What To Know Before You Go" section click on "Prohibited Items" and it explains clearly and fully what you may not carry onboard the plane. If it's not listed there, you can take it.
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | For Travelers (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm - broken link)

Old 12-13-2008, 06:03 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,652,768 times
Bring plastic hangers if you have to have hangers with you on your trip and keep them in your check on luggage.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,224,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
Is it okay to bring hangers (the wooden kind, the the metal top) in your carry on luggage? I would assume so, but you never know. Couldn't find anything by doing a google search. Flying American Airlines if it matters. Thanks!
I would probably not take hangers with metal onthem as it would set off the detectors. Go with plastic ones if you have to bring them.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 AM

364 posts, read 1,032,766 times
In case anyone is curious, I didn't have any problems doing so over the weekend.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:50 AM

3,508 posts, read 8,652,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
In case anyone is curious, I didn't have any problems doing so over the weekend.
That's good to hear. I'm not a traveling hanger person, but I do bring an iron on occasion and haven't had any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel