Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,322 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old guy from the UK. Me and two mates (both around the same age) are planning a 4 week trip to the US next summer. At the minute the cities we are looking to visit are San Diego, Vegas, San Francisco, Miami and New York. As well as hitting the usual tourist spots during the day we'l be venturing out in the evening to sample the nightlife. Can anyone reccomend any good bars / nightclubs? No major preference in any kind of genre (i.e. dance or rock), so long as the place is lively and serves alcohol! Also Advice on dress code etc, and if anyone can reccomend any other decent cities to visit for young people please feel free.

Many Thanks

Jamie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 03:32 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Dress codes in the States are casual to relaxed. The drinks in our bars, pubs, lounges are expensive. Bring lots of money if that is what you want to do in the evenings. The cover charges to get in the doors are ridiculous. Depending on the type of music you like, will depend on what type of club you want to go to.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:05 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Do Vegas last, if possible. Once you've been there, nothing else will compare!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,255 times
I would suggest NYC last, you'll need the most money there, since many bars/clubs have cover charges. Miami a close 2nd!
the OP is right, dress codes are pretty much casual, but some places dressier in NYC, bring slacks and a collared, button down shirt, just in case, or you could always shop for that!
You picked great cities to visit, but if you have any energy (or money!) left, you could pass throughLos Angeles and Chicago as well.
But your choices are also some of the most expensive cities in the country, so be prepared, drinks are expensive. Don't forget cover charges in many places.
In San Fran, I would suggest Ruby Skye. a loud dance club, trendy people and in a great downtown location.
any club in Vegas will have what you want, just ask your hotel or some folks on the street, the clubs at the Wynn Hotel are fabulous! Light at the Bellagio is one of my favorites, but they open so many new ones that you can hardly keep up!
in Miami-check out Mansion and Nikki Beach.
also, if you go online, you can sometimes get on a wating list that may help you get in the door to some places.
Your passport will be essential, so be sure to bring it with you everywhere you go. I've seen some bouncers give foreigners a hard time at the door without proper ID, so keep that in mind, bring tons of money and have fun!! Welcome to the States!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
Other cities you might consider: Boston, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Chicago & Seattle.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:01 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Definitely bring money to spend. The more fun clubs / bars are a little on the pricey side but they are nicer and have a better beverage menu and a more fun atmosphere.
That said,there are also some very small kind of what we Americans refer to as "hole i the wall" kinds of places that are historical and with the locals can be a lot of fun. So, bring money, bring clothes ranging from casual (jeans and tshirts) to a little more like business / casual - meaning maybe a button down shirt and jeans or dress pants. I haven't been out to a club yet that required a tie so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

You will have a blast in NY. It's one of my favorite places to go out on the town and let loose. The place is non stop fun!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Well you'll be getting the 'coastal view' of the USA. San Fran, Miami, and NYC are all quite expensive. To get a broader experience you may want to incorporate a few citys with less flash and more substance. Like Chicago, Austin, TX, Seattle or Denver.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:04 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT16787 View Post
so long as the place is lively and serves alcohol!
and you forgot "has plenty of single ladies...".

Anything we tell you today will be outdated by next summer. Clubs close, lose popularity, turn into dumps, etc. Best to check locally when you get to town. Also important is to choose the correct night. A bar can be hoping one night and dead as a graveyard the next. Be careful in San Francisco, the type of bar you get steered to may not fit your, ummm, sexual preference. Or look for traditional tourist party towns - New Orleans, Key West (lots of gays however), and to a certain degree Memphis and Austin. Miami is good, Vegas is good but be aware the average age of the visitor there is like 90 years old it seems.

But all those towns have tons of bars, many expensive, some exclusive. Besides these towns, which are generic, look for the college towns for good lively nighttime fun.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
DWG

1 posts, read 2,033 times
Jamie,

Come to Wisconsin - we have the most bars of any state, over 16,000. The bars here are cheap and friendly especially if you are a tourist, no dress codes, great beer. Small town bars are the best and the locals will tell you lots of stories and even treat you to free beer. The major cities like Milwaukee and Madison are terrific. In Milwaukee I would recommend Wolski's, Hooligan's, The Concertina Bar, Marcy's (may not be the right name, but it has a nice collection of ladies knickers hanging from the ceiling and a 100 year old bowling alley with just 4 lanes). Also, any blue collar bar on National Ave, Lincoln Ave, Greenfield, Kinnikinnic Ave. (especially the White House).

In Madison, try the Crystal Corner, Mickey's, Mr. Robert's (live music every night), the Harmony, Bennett's (tasteless adult entertainment on Saturday and Sunday mornings - yes, in the morning. Pretty goofy. In Monona (right next to Madison) be sure to visit the Sportsman (known popularly as Snick's).

Some of the best small towns for bars are: Monroe (Baumgartner's, Jailhouse Tap, and also a small bar whose name I don't recall near the Minhas brewery which is also essential for a visitor) , Jefferson (the Landmark saloon - built in 1891 for a brewery, an architectural classic), LaCrosse, and Eau Claire.
Dennis

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
Small world andreaspercheron I was born and lived in Horsham in Sussex until recently.
It was voted the second best place in England to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel