Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 02:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I'd rather rent a car than take a greyhound. . .
Jeez, I'd rather eat a car than go Greyhound. Along with the OP, I'm in the "once, never again" club. It's like I was on a creep shuttle. If I can't fly, drive, train, bike or walk there, I ain't goin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Jeez, I'd rather eat a car than go Greyhound. Along with the OP, I'm in the "once, never again" club. It's like I was on a creep shuttle. If I can't fly, drive, train, bike or walk there, I ain't goin'.
Lol! Yeah, the Grey dog would be the absolute last resort for me.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
LOL, last greyound bus I rode was in 1978; sounds like things have not changed one bit.......only thing that has changed it it used to be airplines were nice but now they are almost as bad..........

Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
I had an absolute horrible Greyhound experience in FL in 2003. I rode from Punta Gorda FL to Savannah GA. Driver was ill tempered and downright mean but he spoke perfect English. After everyone was boarded, he stood up front and announced:

"This bus is MY property and you will do what I say. We will make short stops along the way only to let people off or take passengers on. Do not get off the bus at these stops or you will be left behind. You paid for ONE seat and that's all you get. There will be NOTHING in the seat next to you except another person - no luggage, no personal belongings, no packages. EVERYTHING will go in the overhead. I will walk down the aisle and make SURE the seat next to you is clear."

One woman said, "I'm too short. I can't reach the overhead."

Bus driver said: "Then you better find some way of getting them into the overhead because I'm not going to help you".

Other passengers helped her put her belongings in the overhead.

We departed. Bus driver regularly told people to be quiet, take care of that crying baby, etc. People started conversations among themselves, mostly about the bus driver.

After we crossed over into Georgia, bus driver made announcement that we would stop in Brunswick for 45 minutes and everyone could get off at that time and get something to eat and stretch legs. When bus pulled into Brunswick bus station I got off bus and went inside station. I saw nothing but a few vending machines. So I went to bathroom and came out to get back on bus. THE BUS WAS GONE!!!! The em-effer had left me behind!!! I talked to the station attendant who told me that of all the drivers that came through there, that driver was the worst as far as disposition and temperament went, that he was always in a nasty mood. I didn't know what I was going to do as I had NO way of getting on to my destination and it was after dark by this time. After about 10 minutes I saw the bus coming back around the corner. I hurriedly ran over to it and he opened the door and let me on.

Bus driver: "I told you when you got on the bus not to get off or you would be left behind".

Me: "You told us the bus would be stopping in Brunswick for 45 minutes and we could get off and get something to eat".

Bus driver: "I never said any such thing."

Me: "Oh yes, you did".

Bus driver: "No, I didn't".

Another passenger: "Yes you did. We all heard you say the bus would stop in Brunswick for 45 minutes".

Bus driver: "I never said any such thing. Now sit down and be quiet."

Bus continues to a food park somewhere in Brunswick, parks, and driver announces, "We will be here 45 minutes. Be sure you are back on the bus in 45 minutes or bus will leave without you."

Everyone gets off, gets something to eat, gets back on bus and bus continues on to Savannah.

When we arrive in Savannah, I get off the bus, get my suitcase and go to driver and say to him, "You are the biggest *****hole I have ever met in my entire life and eff you." He replies, "I guess you know what you are, too."

I haven't ridden Greyhound since and probably never will again.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:13 AM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times
Thats really nuts for a driver to talk like that. Next time bring a tape recorder so if someone does something like that, you can play it back and then make sure he hears it!

Only a few times I have rode Greyhound....as a kid traveling from Houston to Cleveland with my mom, sister and brother (back in 1987), and the last time I rode the bus was going to orientation in Dallas from Houston last summer.

I remember one trip I was on driving semi I stopped at the Iowa 80 Truckstop in Iowa (those who drive semi will know what i'm talking about) and there was an older lady that was in an argument with the bus driver near the Wendy's restaurant; apparently the lady has blood sugar issues and the driver was going to leave her behind! All the woman said that she just needed some food and she would be fine, but the driver insisted on leaving her behind because he didn't want to be responsible for her passing out or something like that. I don't remember if they got the issue resolved, but I hope the lady got the help she needed.

Another event I remember was when a person near the front vomited in their seat....boy that was a mess to clean up. Makes me wonder about the sanitation of these old buses.

Fortunately my bus rides were decent and I didn't encounter any problems, even when I took the bus from Cleveland to Houston. But, I rather drive my own car though where I want to go, as on these buses you come across all the low-income and people who wouldn't be able to afford to travel otherwise. All walks of life come on these buses and you just never know who you are sitting next to. I also don't like crowded buses either. Someone told me once that I should consider driving for Greyhound. Glad I never considered that idea. You noticed that on the buses now that the driver area has supposedly bullet-proof glass around him because of a driver some years ago that I think was shot and killed by an irate passenger (correct me if I am wrong).

Being a driver nowadays is bad enough having to deal with the heavy DOT regulations and hours of service rules, but to deal with crazy passengers too? No thanks. I'd rather wait in a long security line at the airport (even the pilots have to go through it) than drive a bus...

Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
If the bus driver does NOT lay out the rules on the trip, people do whatever they want to do on the bus. I like when the bus driver sets up the rules at the start of the trip.

As for the stops, when the driver stops for 20 minutes, that means get your business done and be back on the bus in 20 minutes. Otherwise, you will be at the stop for 45 minutes as people take their good old time.

There are too many screwballs on the bus.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I believe if Greyhound were to pattern some of their buses after various bus lines in foreign countries, you'd have people opting for buses over planes.

I once rode a luxury bus from Tijuana to Mexicali which had a wet bar at the back of the bus.

In South America, I rode any number of double decker luxury buses where they served you a meal on board, and refreshments. And on the first floor of some of these buses, if you can afford it, they had leather reclining, swivel chairs where you can sleep like a baby.

And nice television screens.

If Greyhound, or some new luxury bus line, offered more luxury, there might be more people willing to forgo a flight for a bus ride. For those that have the time, I may add.

And Greyhound doesn't just attract the low-income. There are those of all income levels who will never, ever fly in plane because of their unfounded fears of flying. I have a cousin, who will never get on a plane. So what options are there for these people?

Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And Greyhound doesn't just attract the low-income. There are those of all income levels who will never, ever fly in plane because of their unfounded fears of flying. I have a cousin, who will never get on a plane. So what options are there for these people?
I am sure that there may be a millionaire who might ride on Greyhound. In my experience of riding buses, most of the people are at teh otehr end of the spectrum.

As for the Mexico example, a larger percentage of the Mexican middle class
does NOT own vehicles largely due to the unavailability of financing in Mexico. Therefore, there is a market for "upscale" bus service that does NOT exist in this country.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:14 AM

296 posts, read 802,710 times
Considering the US economy is in long-term decline - the Greyhound bus company will probably see their income steadily increase over the next few years as it is be the only choice of travel available for a lot of Americans.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I believe if Greyhound were to pattern some of their buses after various bus lines in foreign countries, you'd have people opting for buses over planes.

I once rode a luxury bus from Tijuana to Mexicali which had a wet bar at the back of the bus.

In South America, I rode any number of double decker luxury buses where they served you a meal on board, and refreshments. And on the first floor of some of these buses, if you can afford it, they had leather reclining, swivel chairs where you can sleep like a baby.

And nice television screens.

If Greyhound, or some new luxury bus line, offered more luxury, there might be more people willing to forgo a flight for a bus ride. For those that have the time, I may add.

Also, the thing is Greyhound has no real competition so they pretty much can get away with whatever they want

I would'nt not-never use Greyhound, but it would have to be the absolute,last,"can't get there no other way" choice:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel