U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:46 PM

820 posts, read 3,299,791 times
Default Romantic 10 year anniversary trip ideas?

My husband and I taking a 10 year anniversary vacation (no kids) and want to go somewhere very warm.
Any ideas in the Caribbean? Specific towns and hotels? I'm looking for a resort-type place.
We were also thinking of Costa Rica. We definitely want to spend time on a beach somewhere and do a lot of hiking.
We are not interested in Jamaica (went there on our honeymoom).
Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 PM

15,835 posts, read 15,613,825 times
I would try an all inclusive geared for couples. Try Couples or Sandals and choose your spot.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:10 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,166,284 times
Cozumel is lovely, it's a small island and fun to explore, see the history, horseback ride in the jungle, snorkel or scuba dive - lots to do and romantic too

Old 01-24-2009, 10:19 PM

121 posts, read 158,167 times
Cancun has something for everyone.

Plus, there are some fantastic deals on hotels down there right now. Try going though Priceline, and you will even do better.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:54 AM

15,430 posts, read 14,998,834 times
Playa Del Carmen...a little more international, mature and relaxed than Cancun. Cozumel is a ferry ride away.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 PM

314 posts, read 684,783 times
I second Cozumel, very beautiful and a great place to snorkle/dive!

But have you considered a Carribbean cruise? There are some great ports to visit, particularly in the western Carribbean, Cozumel being one of them that offer so much to do and see! There are some great deals to be had and you can visit more than one place during a trip - plus the food and entertainment! Sometimes a cruise is a great way to get an initial glimpse of an area, then you can go back for a longer vacation. I don't think you'd be dissapointed and it would be a great way to celebrate an anniversary IMHO.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:42 PM

820 posts, read 3,299,791 times
Thanks, everyone for your responses.

I've taken a Caribbean cruise before (Cozumel, Cayman Is., Jamaica) and it was okay. I get really sea sick and had to get 'the patch' for behind my ear from my physician beforehand in order to deal with the waves). Cruises aren't my favorite way to vacation. I like to spend a longer time at our destination. I actually wish I didn't get sea sick because we've been asked to take cruises with friends before and have had to turn them down!

For our honeymoon 10 years ago, we went to a Couples Resort in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and were terribly disappointed. I had traveled internationally before that and had very high expectations. Couples seemed really hokey and contrived to me. Very disappointing. It was a bunch of really young couples sitting around getting drunk.

So now that it's our 10th anniversary, we kind of want to make up for our 'hokey' honeymoon and travel somewhere really romantic. Somewhere where they don't have drinking contests, or croquet contest, like Couples! Yikes!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:08 AM

2,457 posts, read 5,310,392 times
I tend to enjoy being close to nature when I travel, and also try to find more of a local feel than one might be exposed to at an all-inclusive resort or large hotel. Based on that, here are two recommendations:

Tulum, Mexico...as I like to say, its 2 hours south and a world apart from Cancun! There are many great accomocations; we stayed at Azulik and loved it!!!

St. Lucia...check out Ladera Resort. We haven't been there yet, but we will in the near future. A friend stayed there on her honeymoon and couldn't say enough good things about it.

Neither of these places are for everyone, but that's why they appeal to me so much.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,143,932 times
Bora Bora.

Link: http://tahiti-tourisme.com/honeymoon...ihoneymoon.asp

Old 01-26-2009, 09:18 AM

3,831 posts, read 5,211,483 times
My personal recommendation is the little-known, pristine and lovely island of Bequia in the Grenadines. It's a jewel. One of the most romantic places I've ever been.

Bequia Tourism Association - welcome!

Another lovely island is Tortola in the British Virgin Islands--Tortola is another very special place where you'll not be inundated with strolling tee-shirt vendors while you're relaxing on the beach....incredible sunsets.

And still in the States, the Hawaiian island of Kauai is lush, green and filled with flowers and waterfalls. No snakes.

Hope this helps! Have a most romantic time!!

Little Dolphin
Writer-for-Hire
Advertising/PR/Web/Editing

Last edited by LittleDolphin; 01-26-2009 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel