Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:39 PM

329 posts, read 1,271,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The right engine is the one that experienced a compressor stall. It has also been confirmed to have serious bird damage. No matter how much Geraldo Rivera wants to sensationalize the story, it is nothing more than a coincidence. That engine had temperature probes replaced after the compressor stall, and it had nothing to do with the crash.

This link is to the NTSB report that shows both engines with bird impact damage, and both engines shutting down at the exact same time.

The Aviation Herald
If that's the case - then $5,000 sounds sufficient - or if the passenger can prove they had more than $5000 worth of stuff they lost during the crash maybe.

BTW - I don't watch Geraldo - I read it on CNN and other news stations about the plane having previous engine issues. I'd still would wait until the official report is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times
I can't believe how greedy some people can be!! nevermind the fact that I never travel w/ $5K worth of stuff, but even if I'd lost $10K in luggage, I'd get down on my hands and knees and thank God, the pilot, the crew, the ferry drivers, the city of NYC, etc for the fact that I survived a major airline crash! i wouldn't be thinking "well, how can I get more money out of this?".

I don't get it, if an airline loses a piece of luggage, do they reimburse the passenger $5K? why expect more money in this case? it is too early to gauge emotional distress, and maybe when this is all over, US Airways will further compensate them, who knows. but to complain about not enough money less than a month after surviving a crash seems so petty and greedy to me. they could have all died that day, they should be grateful they still have their lives and $5K to boot!

Old 01-27-2009, 02:27 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,725,586 times
I wonder how many posters would change their tune had this happened to them...? hmmm???

Joe just wants to be made whole because he heard what US Airway is charging for drinks and food now. Will $5000 cover it? On...the next, Geraldo!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:18 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,682,259 times
Well, good luck to Joe Hart. The Warsaw Convention caps recovery in airline cases at $100K per person, and he would have to pursue his lawsuit in federal court, which is no friend of plaintiffs' bloody noses. A lawyer might get him a couple more K, but then I'd quit while ahead.

As for lost luggage -- the best possible way to deal with such contingencies is to have insurance.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,526 times
I thought I'd click to find stories of Ferry Operators & USAirways crew subsequently receiving anonymous "gifts" or something....many of the passengers will probably do just that. I know I'd want all their names and mailing addresses to do just that. (anonymous so they can't send it back, saying "just doing my job", which I wouldn't put past them!)

This guy's going to be just a pathetic laughingstock. A jury would/should vomit on him & his "case".

Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,571,500 times
News update,

Video, KTRK: Crash Survivors Sue Continental Airlines.

ABC News

Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM

324 posts, read 862,369 times
Why is that even a question. Life is pricelsss.. This was not intentional- and everyone "miracle of all miracles" made it out alive. Geez...you can't win for trying...WHo would sue, and what what grounds could they possibly sue on? Whast sleezy lawyer would take up that case? I'm just astonished about what kind of people we are becoming.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:45 PM

269 posts, read 913,453 times
Despite the fact I have bills, kids, and love to spend money, I think if it was me, I'd get my $5,000 check, sign in on the back, and mail it to the pilot and his family. Every person on that plane got to go back to their family and loved ones that night ... if it was me I'd want his family to know just how much that meant to me.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankygf View Post
Why is that even a question. Life is pricelsss.. This was not intentional- and everyone "miracle of all miracles" made it out alive. Geez...you can't win for trying...WHo would sue, and what what grounds could they possibly sue on? Whast sleezy lawyer would take up that case? I'm just astonished about what kind of people we are becoming.

Their faintest hope is to sue the Canada ... ...

geese population! And whomever is responsible for their existence! May as well sue God, too!

What, for some nice Down jackets and comforters.
(I think those Geese are a protected species anyways. Hope there isn't a lawyer in Canada like some of our lawyers...)

Old 01-27-2009, 11:34 PM

44,619 posts, read 61,571,507 times
Actually Joe Hart, the salesman, is not whole and has a valid complaint. He lost his brains and his heart as soon as the plane hit the water, as he said "screw women and children first, I'm outta here and gonna make a profit on this deal".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel