U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 AM

28,202 posts, read 47,597,148 times

Advertisements

Many US Airways (LCC) passengers who endured a crash landing in the Hudson River 12 days ago say they appreciate the $5,000 that the airline has offered but some say it's not enough.

Joe Hart, a salesman from Charlotte who suffered a bloody nose and bruises, says he "would like to be made whole for the incident."

US Airways passengers get $5,000 each; is it enough? - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:51 AM

3,660 posts, read 6,482,326 times
Why should they get any more?

Unless they were seriously injured. It was an act of god, and they should be gratful that their lives were saved, not wanting more money. Jeez!

Old 01-27-2009, 06:27 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,249,072 times
They had an experienced pilot who landed the plane with no major injuries or fatalities. Yes, they were scared but the crew had everything under control. US Airways stepped up immediately with payment. While I am sure that they would all like more money, I think $5K is satisfactory. Since Joe Hart lost no body parts, I am not sure what he means by whole. Maybe greed since he is in sales. He might just be looking for a payday that he isn't getting with this economy. This was not the fault of US Airways and excessive litigation is the last thing, IMHO, that we need. I would just be thankful that I got off of that plane alive.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:37 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,739,297 times
Joe Hart survived a major plane crash with nothing more than a bloody nose, and some bruises.

I think he should be paying us five thousand dollars.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 AM

15,339 posts, read 27,528,142 times
I think whatever they get they should be down on their knees thanking whomever they pray to; for multiple reasons.

It isn't like USAirways put the geese into the engine and lost a very expensive plane on purpose. Sheesh, some ungrateful people.

Joe Hart wants to be made whole? Gimme a break!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM

9,718 posts, read 5,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I think whatever they get they should be down on their knees thanking whomever they pray to; for multiple reasons.

It isn't like USAirways put the geese into the engine and lost a very expensive plane on purpose. Sheesh, some ungrateful people.

Joe Hart wants to be made whole? Gimme a break!
Well stated

Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,286,390 times
I agree with what everyone has said. It is kind of US Airways to pay them for their troubles, but the passengers should be SO grateful that they are alive. The odds were against them in that landing and they should happy they walked away from the accident.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
I'd be the personal servant of the pilot for the rest of my life if I had been on that plane.

Sure the $5K is a very nice gesture on their part and it IS nice that they ARE doing something. Afterall, if anyone was actually headed on a big vacation they had already paid for they would be out all of that money. I guess if someone were in THAT situation they could show that they should be reimbursed for any money out in THAT case.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:24 AM

329 posts, read 1,126,251 times
Well I am going to go against the grain and stir up the other side...............Yes, I agree - everyone on that flight is very lucky to be alive and survive the ordeal.

I would personally wait to see what the outcome of the investigation determines was the cause of the engine failures. There are reports that the same plane had engine issues on at least 2 different flights the week before - not saying it wasn't birds and an act of nature - but I would want to know that it wasn't because the engines weren't up to par and that something else wasn't the cause.

I am just guessing, but if you accept the $5,000 I bet you have to sign something that prevents you from suing them or take legal action against them in the future - Maybe not.

That being said - if it was 'birds' and an act of nature - then I feel $5,000 each is more than fair.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,739,297 times
The right engine is the one that experienced a compressor stall. It has also been confirmed to have serious bird damage. No matter how much Geraldo Rivera wants to sensationalize the story, it is nothing more than a coincidence. That engine had temperature probes replaced after the compressor stall, and it had nothing to do with the crash.

This link is to the NTSB report that shows both engines with bird impact damage, and both engines shutting down at the exact same time.

The Aviation Herald
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or