Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:11 PM

269 posts, read 913,886 times

Advertisements

I am going to Mexico and I just want to take a carryon bag, is that going to attract attention of the security gurus at the airport? I don't wanna have to be searched (not that I am taking anything they can't see) ... but I don't want to lose my bags either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
I'm a bit confused. It's checked luggage that the airlines lose. Your carryon bag is what you keep one hand on at all times (or attach by bungee cord around your waist) until you put it in the overhead compartment above your seat in the plane, then when you land and remove it from the compartment it's what you keep your hand on at all times until you arrive where you're going. I find that using the handicapped stalls in airport restrooms means there's plenty of room for both me and my 20" carryon.

You are not the one who decides if your possessions will be searched. The U.S. Dpeartment of Defense makes that decision, pretty much from hour to hour every day. You have the same chance of probable searching as every other person checking in at the same time as you to all the airlines at that particular airport. If you do not pack contraband and other prohibited items in your carryon, then it would be a great idea to not send to the TSA your thoughts of their searching you.

This is what you need to study. The TSA really really REALLY means their rules, limitations, and allowances, so it's a really good idea to abide by them exactly as the TSA has described them:
TSA | Transportation Security Administration | For Travelers (http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm - broken link)

Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM

I don't want to check luggage to avoid it being lost is all I meant, thanks for the info

Old 01-12-2009, 05:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhawk36 View Post
I don't want to check luggage to avoid it being lost is all I meant, thanks for the info
Ahh! I didn't get that from your post. You're welcome! Anyway, just relax. Follow the rules, start packing days in advance so you'll be sure to follow the rules. At the airport when you get in line for the TSA security check (and you're holding your carryon with one hand, and have hidden on your body your ticket, boarding pass, etc. so they won't be grabbed out of your hand -- read the signs telling you what to do, relax, people-watch, enjoy the excitement of your trip.

When the TSA persons (white shirts) speak to you, listen and do what they tell you to do. It's easy.

Have fun!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 PM

821 posts, read 2,011,851 times
I travel International all the time with just a carry on, get stopped for security screening about 1/4 of the time
I don't mind the screeing at all, I'm glad they are there doing their job.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach1966 View Post
I travel International all the time with just a carry on, get stopped for security screening about 1/4 of the time
I don't mind the screeing at all, I'm glad they are there doing their job.
Same here.
I only travel with one carryon, whether domestic or international.
The last couple times, I was alone, and for some reason that seems to attract a lot more attention from the TSA, but if you follow the rules you have nothing to worry about.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
To answer what I think your question is - the TSA has no way (that I know of) to know if you have checked in luggage or not. Having just a carry-on and no check-in luggage will not get any more attention than those that check in luggage and have a small carry-on.
Follow rules on what you can and can't carry on board of course.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 AM

821 posts, read 2,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I was alone, and for some reason that seems to attract a lot more attention from the TSA

I travel alone 98% of the time. I think it's easier on them to pick people traveling alone to search. could you imagine searching one parent then leaving the other to watch the kids, they don't want to be seperated and then they are in the way of the search. if a couple, you search one, the other stands in the way where people are trying to leave the scanner area and the area backs up. so I see it much easier to search single traveling people

Old 01-13-2009, 08:21 PM

44 posts, read 111,433 times
I've traveled to Europe before with only a carry on and no one cared. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 PM

Duh, it didn't occur to me that they wouldn't know if I checked bags or not ... I walked on today to Houston and back with just my purse and they didn't mind. Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel