U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 04:50 PM

77 posts, read 150,340 times

Advertisements

We visited last year, and stayed off property. So we were not able to experience the extra magic hours. We didn't use our park hopper pass at all, as we stayed at whatever park we started at. This year we are staying on property, but didn't get the hopper pass, instead got the meal plan, which includes 7 sit down meals and 7 couter service meals.

Looking to make the most out of our vacation package,since we will only be able to go to one park a day, any suggestions? rest, rides, res, what to do...

We are going in May, with a 15 yr, 5yr and dh and I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,034,502 times
K~
Why don't you print out a map of the place and figure out which places you want to see the most.. you can also request map/video from the Disney website. Last time I went was for my daughter's 10th b-day.. that was almost 3 years ago. You've been.. you should remember they have machines with tickets that allow you to go in the express lane (for rides) after you've ridden once. I guess, figure out which rides you want to go on the most and plan to get some tickets so you can re-experience your favs. I never use the hopper pass either.. as one park is more than enough for a day.. especially when you've got kids. I'm sure there are sites that can give you more suggestions for time management strategies.. I have no idea how long you're planning on staying. 7meals=7days? If you're staying 7 days.. I wouldn't over analyze how you spent your time.. I'm sure there'd be time enough to catch most of what you want to see.. though with 7 days I prob would pick up that hopper pass.

Anyways, here's some articles.. you can also use Google.. for example, 'WDW tips'

Walt Disney World Vacation Top Tips

Your First Walt Disney World Vacation: Five Tips for Rookies - Associated Content

Hoping you have a fantastic vacation!

:-)

Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info~last year we went with my MIL, so we were slowed down alot and missed a ton of rides in MK and AK, I was thinking of the hopper pass to, but it is 200.00 more, not that is alot of money, but we didn't use it in 7 days last time, but without the MIL we might....I was thinking of picking the park with the extra hours make that my park for the day, and make dinner reservations in that park. I feel like we missed sooo much last year, we didn't plan very well, and I wanted to get our moneys worth this year.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:53 PM

5,189 posts, read 13,382,647 times
Go to the library and get a guidebook to Disney! (or buy one--it's invaluable!) It will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about each and every park, ride, and attraction! What direction to start in, what time you should be at which attraction...everything!
A little research goes a LONG way!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 PM

K~
Hey again! If you're going to be there 7 days and there are 4 parks.. seems like you might want to get the hopper pass to pick-up whatever you missed the first 4 days. I don't know how you're planning on spending your time.. are you going to sleep in and wake-up whenever then hit the parks? Sounds like you're going to be pre-planning and trying to get the most out of your vacation. If that's the case.. do you really want to stay there late.. until like 12am every night? Or.. would you rather hit one park each of the 1st four days and then catch what you missed on the remaining three days? I'm not you but (based on what I've read) that's what I would be thinking about. If you're staying in a resort that is on the grounds you might just want to hang around the hotel some of the time.. I've got no idea what you're into. I know when I went I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and with all the running around the parks there were times I just wanted to hang out there. They had a nice pool area, a couple restaurants (one nice one), a bar.. lol. We took a ferry to the parks.. there were other things we could've done on the water. So, maybe you aren't planning on being in the parks the entire 7days. One thing I would suggest is visiting the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. It's near the Wilderness Lodge.. it was nice.. my daughter really enjoyed it. Very interactive.. they put on a dinner show.. and lots of good food. Very informal dining but great ribs and they serve beer, lol. Anyways, something to think about.

:-)

Old 02-20-2009, 01:30 PM

Thanks, I am thinking about the hopper pass. We are planning on visiting the late parks the first 4 days, but the other 3 not to sure. The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue looks fun, I am with you on the beer part, I'll need a drink after the long day. I might pick up the book the pp had stated, I found them on amazon.com reasonably priced.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM

K~ Very cool! Have a great time :-)

Old 02-20-2009, 06:44 PM

414 posts, read 892,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krislati View Post
Thanks, I am thinking about the hopper pass. We are planning on visiting the late parks the first 4 days, but the other 3 not to sure. The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue looks fun, I am with you on the beer part, I'll need a drink after the long day. I might pick up the book the pp had stated, I found them on amazon.com reasonably priced.
I have been to Disney World several times. In 2006 when I went we went to the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue actually! It was a good time and they interact with you quite a bit. My husband proposed to be that year (it was on a vaca with his family) and the performers came to our table and his mom announced we were engaged.

It may sound kind of crazy...but we went back for our honeymoon and we are going this year for our anniversary. SOOO EXCITED!

May I make a few suggestions? (sorry if you've been to several of these restaurants, but I thought if you haven't been, suggestions might be nice)
DO THE HOPPER PASS! It is great and only $50 more per person.
What are the ages of those going? If it is all adults some of these suggestions may not apply but most will. My husband and I have enjoyed them all.

Get the dining plan (which I think you said you were). We always get the Magic Your Way Plus Dining. 7 quick service, 7 snacks and 7 table service per person.

Some restaurants...Narcoose's at the Grand Floridian is my favorite! It is very nice and takes 2 table service meals per person, but is totally worth it! Akershus Royal Banquet Hall is at Epcot. Here nearly all the princesses come around from table-to-table letting you take pictures with them. I made my hubby do it, lol. But the kids there loved it! As an example, when we went, we saw, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, Pocahontas and Jasmine. When my sister went Cinderella was there. The Coral Reef at Epcot is really good too. There is a giant aquarium that has tons of fish and other marine life. Sci-Fi Dine in Theater is really neat at Hollywood Studios. You sit in "cars" and watch parts of old movies. It's nothing fancy but really fun! The Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom is always good. It's a character dining as well with Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore. It's buffet style and really good. The Hollywood and Vine is at Hollywood Studios. This is also a buffet style meal. If you go here get the Fantasmic Package...you get priority seating to the amazing show.

Those are just a few suggestions of some places that my husband and I have enjoyed. Do you know where you are staying?

If you are looking to save some money by staying at a less expensive resort so you can do the park hoppers, Pop Century is a good value resort. We've stayed there many times. The rooms are clean, the food is good (as all Disney food is), the rooms are good sized and there are several pools. There is also a nice gift shop there.

As for Moderate Resorts, I've stayed at Caribbean Beach. That was about 5 years ago and I liked it a lot. Spacious rooms etc. I have heard they have updated it since then so some of the rooms are more geared towards the movies...but that could just be rumored.

I've never stayed at a Deluxe resort, but when we went to Narcoose's we had to exit through the Grand Floridian to get to the monorail...holy cow. Words cannot describe how classy it is inside. VERY ELEGANT.

As you can see with the resorts, they get nicer as you go. We always look at it as...you really don't spend much time in the rooms and we'd rather spend our money on other things than an upgrade of hotels. Other people differ on that opinion...but it's how we see it.

Sorry, this got to be somewhat long lol. I hope it helps some. If you want anymore suggestions, I'd be happy to give them!

Enjoy your Disney vacation!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:02 AM

4,213 posts, read 12,580,084 times
I also recommend getting the hopper - yes, more money, but you may find that you'll use it after all. For example, last November we went to MGM (oops, I mean Hollywood Studios :-) with the intention of spending the day there and only there. But for whatever reason, the crowd of guests on that particular day were quite annoying (can't explain why although maybe it was just us). We ended up hopping over to EPCOT and spent the remainder of the day there.

With the hopper, you could spend the day at Animal Kingdom, and at its closing time and you're still rarin' to go, you could hop over to the Magic Kingdom to take in the night-time parade (perhaps for the umpteenth time).

Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,862,886 times
It's a little late this year but I would plan a trip around Superbowl Sunday. The last time I went to MK, it was SB Sunday when Pittsburg played Seattle and the crowds were mild, the weather was great, and a pretty short wait for most of the rides.

I can't remeber the name of it,(speed pass) or something but you can get a pass and show up at a show or ride early,(say an hour or two) and they stamp your card or something so that when you come back later for a specific show you want to see you go right in first, no waiting in the regular line for that specific ride or show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel