Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times

Advertisements

I haven't used it, but this one looks neat - has a USB adapter as well

The National Geographic Online Store - Compact Universal Travel Adapter and USB Charger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:32 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
In my experience, the Walmart ones fried or barely worked (hair appliances barely warmed, cell phones didnt even charge), and a kit from Brookstone with all diff connections for all around the world worked great. My friend had a set of 2 for UK/ Europe that beat my Brookstone one (after my friends hair straightener blew it up after we had it on the wrong setting. lol).. Im not sure who manufactured that one, though!! Sorry! ut the Brookstone one kicked butt.
I had one from Brookstone that I took on a trip 15 years ago.

Last summer I traveled abroad and brought it with me.

I fried it with the hair dryer (or was it the curling iron).

Don't ask me what I was thinking bringing a 15 year old converter with me!!!

But anyway, it was a good set while it lasted, though I had a major complaint with it and others just like it:

It is heavy. If it won't fit in the outlet as is, and you have to use the adapter tips, there is a skinny little adapter tip that sticks out from the wall about an inch, then you are supposed to plug the converter in, which of course is so heavy that it pulls the entire thing out of the wall. Before I fried it, I constantly had to have a stack of books underneath it to prop it up.

I ended up buying a converter over there, which cost me around $50, but it plugged right in the wall and then into my appliance, plus I got to leave it for my nieces who needed a converter anyway to charge the digital camera I brought for them. So it worked out. I don't know if they still make the converters/adapters like this, but that is how mine was constructed and it was a pain in the rear.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:48 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,565,309 times
I am researching adapters now myself. What can I get for my 1875 watt hairdryer? The place I am going isn't a hotel. Also, I was reading up on cell phones. I have Verizon and to go over there, I can get a global phone from them for 30 days for $20 s/h. If I make a call it's $2.89 p/minute. How crazy is that? Text messages are 50 cents each! Thank goodness for the internet.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
I am researching adapters now myself. What can I get for my 1875 watt hairdryer? The place I am going isn't a hotel. Also, I was reading up on cell phones. I have Verizon and to go over there, I can get a global phone from them for 30 days for $20 s/h. If I make a call it's $2.89 p/minute. How crazy is that? Text messages are 50 cents each! Thank goodness for the internet.
What type of phone do you have? A lot of phones are world phones. For example my blackberry with sprint all I had to do was switch a mode. I almost never used text or calling as the prices were high but for $40 a month and it can be prorated if you are there less than a month you can get unlimited data with BBm just as good as text for other blackberrys. I would ask verizon id they have something like this.

ALSO if the phone has it you get the unlimited data plan and DOWNLOAD the AIM app (aol instant messenger app) with that you can add US phone numbers to your buddy list and send messages to them with that. The messages you are sending with the app using data are sent right to the phone number you place in the buddy list and the person can text that number right back and it gets sent to you by the aim app. Free text abroad. It was great when I was living in Barcelona.

If you want a phone to do calls in Europe the better plan is to get a prepaid phone for 20 euros or so and add minutes as you need them. I had both phones in europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel