Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:24 PM

23 posts, read 52,053 times

Advertisements

You might want to consider the new Bahia in El Portillo which would give you access to a bit of a different sort of excursions.... (it is not a new hotel, just a redone one... great location although not perhaps the BEST beach on the Island but perhaps, overall, the Best location!)

The problem for most of the visitors to Punta Cana is that while the DR is an exceedingly beautiful country, Punta Cana is about 4 hours away from ANYWHERE! El Portillo, on the other hand, is only about 20 minutes from the town of Las Terrenas which has great restuarants and shopping and very terrific kite surfing plus an international library and the best restaurants in the country as well as a variety of beaches-- from very protected to good surfing. Also there is a very nice waterfall at El Limon and if you come in early March, you will be time to see the Humpback Whales who come here every year to mate and give birth. It will certainly be more interesting than Punta Cana.

I am sorry to hear about the illness of the other guest... most of the resort hotels do have filters on their water but ... well.. bugs happen...

I know that Americans have difficulty with seeing the poverty of the rest of the world but, alas, that is the REALITY of the rest of the world, outside of the US and Europe. Just as you make the assumption that all of the people who live in these homes without electricity and running water are in complete misery, THEY make the assumption, when they see pictures of the US, that you must be living in complete ecstasy.... So neither one is right, right?

Just for the record, I have lived here for five years, travel around alone on the buses, on the backs on motor bikes... never had any trouble in transit....

But, yes, it is true that there are burglaries and poor people-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 AM

27 posts, read 160,031 times
Default Carribean vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
I have been given the (dubious) honor of planning a family vacation for 2010,probably in March. Due to the wide variety of ages, interests and health needs, I think an All-Inclusive hotel would be our best option. Everyone agrees somewhere tropical, with fishing, hiking, National parks,beach, and diving. Has anyone been to the Dominican Republic? We will have ages 5 to 70. One member has Parkinson's but still gets around pretty well. Some are well traveled, some not at all. Some are very active, others just want to relax. I could use some opinions and input!
Hey Firebll31,

I have the same job as you for our family, too. We were thinking of going to Dominican Republic for an All Inclusive Vacation during July 2010. If you have decided which AI resort, please let us know. Our family ages from 8 to 73.

We went to Cayman Island during Christmas time, it was great. We go to snorkeling trip, fishing trip, and lie on the beach. It is not an all inclusive, but we rented a timeshare, rented a car. We drove everywhere and it is really safe. We, actually drive to grocery store to get food and cook a few meals at the condo.

We chartered a boat and the captain actually dive in the sea and catch lobster and cook right in the boat. We caught tons of fish, and he clean and fillet for us.

Let me know if you would like more information. On the other hand, I like to know more about DR (Punta Cana). I was thinking of Dreams Punta Cana Resort. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:50 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,554 times
We have been forced to delay the family vacation until 2011. I think instead of the DR we will go to the Mayan Riviera of Mexico instead. I have been there several times and am familiar with the area, which will be helpful in planning for such a large and diverse group. We have not yet chosen a resort. I will ask for help with that from our travel agent who is also a good friend. We will probably be going in February of 2011 since some family members want to break up the long New England winter.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
I would recommend the Majestic Colonial resort, I really enjoyed my stay there last year. They have the largest pool among all the resorts and their part of Bavaro beach is pretty awesome. The food leaves a bit to be desired but they do have 2 restaurants that are very good (the French and Japanese one although they need reservations).

Old 01-16-2010, 11:07 PM

27 posts, read 160,031 times
Is Majestic Colonial Resort has good kids program? We are actually undecided between a few of the resorts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The resorts are Dream Punta Cana, Majestic Excellence/ Majestic Colonial and Moon Palace.

I saw one review saying about the beach that has sand fleas. Anybody heard of that? Thanks!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:54 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
sorry, not sure about the kids program as I don't have kids, I believe there is a kids section if I am not mistaken...you can check with the resort though. Not sure about fleas, I didn't see any... the rooms were brand new and very modern.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
We have been forced to delay the family vacation until 2011. I think instead of the DR we will go to the Mayan Riviera of Mexico instead. I have been there several times and am familiar with the area, which will be helpful in planning for such a large and diverse group. We have not yet chosen a resort. I will ask for help with that from our travel agent who is also a good friend. We will probably be going in February of 2011 since some family members want to break up the long New England winter.
hey there;i am originally from new england-and travelled to mayan riviera with my husband and 15 month old son,several years ago. we spent 3 nites and Ana y Jose cabanas. and went to bars and restaurants at several of the places/resorts along the Tulum coast near the cabanas. Suggestion: Be sure to pay extra and get 'beachfront',not garden view,even if i'ts only 50 yards to the beach sands...the heat is rough in the interior-and the ocean breeze is amazing. Unless you do the a/c thing,of course. But I/we loved having our windows open/screens,and hearing the ocean,having the ceiling fans on and catching that breeze. [many of the hotels on the tulum coast run on generators,though. And A/C can be hit or miss. It's more rustic there-even in the 5 star places-it's rustic chic. Gorgeous,but with a hint of adventure with the amenities.]

We also spent two nights at hacienda chichen itza,which I HIGHLY recommend. It's an old hacienda that the archeologists used to stay at,when they were uncovering/exploring chichen itza. We wanted to stay near the pyramid,and it turned out to be an excellent choice,b/c we literally walked over to the ruins area after breakfast at our beautiful hacienda,where peacocks roam by the pool. And we did not have any of the crowds or heat that come with the busloads from cancun later in the day. There are a few beautiful resorts by the pyramids,which is about a 2 hr ride from cancun or tulum. we travelled via tulum,and stopped at Coba ruins by the lake,on the way,which was completely different than chichen itza and very much worth it. broke up the drive and was a great experience,too. the roads are good,and the scenery pretty on that route.
we then drove back from chichen itza to cancun,to take the ferry to isla mujeres,where we only lasted one night. We ended up spending the last 2 nites at the ritz carlton cancun,which was FANTASTIC. [btw,we went in may,and last minute rates were only 219/nite,USD;probably you could find a package deal.]

Basically,if we go again,and we would,b/c the area is amazing,but VERY hot and humid [i have lived in caribbean,asia and africa;yucatan/QR is very hot and humid]...we would do the same thing: stay in tulum on the coast,then head over to chichin itza for a couple of nights,and then a night or two in cancun before departure. Tulum is only an hour or so south of cancun.easy,good roads.Driving was perfectly reasonable in the area with our rental car. There's also a fantastic university town-valladolid-on the way to chichen itza,with a colonial square and some amazing food in the large colonial hotels there.
The food in the area is great-lots of fish of course,but also game,olives,capers,etc. inland. Mayan cuisine is interesting and yummy. We did use bottled water for drinking,however.

All this said,you could do something where part of your group stayed on the coast in their all inclusive,and the more travelled folks could go spend a few nites at the pyramids. [the hotels there include posh options,though,and the pyramids are spectacular,but just saying,if some people are not inclined to move around,it's easily doable to split the group for a nite or two]. I loved waking up by the pyramids,so peaceful and quiet in that area.

I second the US VI's,however,for an option with safe drinking water and english spoken. St. John's would be a great choice,as would some of the brittish virgin islands. And,instead of a cruise,you could charter a boat and do 3 nites at one island,3 at another,for example,for more remote islands,or take the ferry and split your trip. charter boats are very popular,and you get to have yummy food [spearfishing for lobster i remember],and anchor out in pristine coves that most people never see. I worked on boats there for a season,actually. It's really the best way to experience the caribbean,IMO [boat travel,not cruise ships]. Also,the islands are not nearly as hot and humid as the mayan riviera.

anyway,my 15 month old son did well in mexico's riviera-but i ended up with a parasite from some seared ahi. my fault. don't do the seared thing. doh! It's a great place,and I would only be concerned with the heat,esp. for older folks and little ones. You dont want to be relegated to the indoors b/c of A/C.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-02-2010 at 01:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoFlintstone View Post
Is Majestic Colonial Resort has good kids program? We are actually undecided between a few of the resorts. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The resorts are Dream Punta Cana, Majestic Excellence/ Majestic Colonial and Moon Palace.

I saw one review saying about the beach that has sand fleas. Anybody heard of that? Thanks!
some beaches on the MR do have sand fleas,and also scorpions,etc. in the area-it is the jungle,right up to the sands!

the caribbean has some beaches with sand fleas,as well.

Have you considered Hawaii? I have lived in the caribbean,been to MR and was married on maui. Hawaii would truly cover all of your bases in terms of comfort for all age ranges,adventure,culture options and clean water/safety. And it's definitely tropical feeling/exotic. There is still old hawaii to be found. and lots of polynesia/asian influence.
speaking of,tahiti would also be on my list,for a group with broad age ranges. Long flights from the east coast,though,I know.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-02-2010 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: tyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel