Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Can I see all this in 8 days? Ay, la, la! I will definitely get the "Rough Guide to Paris"!
8 days is quite a good period of time as it allows you to "do" the touristy bits and still get to take in the atmosphere and chill a bit. Paris is a very walkable city and sometimes it is nice to see where your feet take you.

The Ile St Louis is lovely, a great place to while away a few hours in a little tea-room .

If you are there for 8 days you should get a transport card, it will save you a lot of money.

I would also suggest maybe a trip to Rouen or Chartres ( easily done from Paris) , both have lovely Medieval centres and really lovely Cathedrals.
You could even do an overnight stay to make it more pleasant.

A lot of people go to Giverny to see Monet's gardens ( lovely in Spring and Summer especially) but it is a bit further. I think it all depends what you like.

If you were feeling a bit more adventurous I really like Lille, big Northern city -used to be very grim because of its history as a mining city but now beautifully restored and some fantastic Flemish architecture. Very easy and quick on the TGV ( high speed train). It gives you a different flavour of France.

In Paris the Ste Chapelle is one of my favourites and when I lived there I used to go all the time. If you are a student or under 26 there should be discounts for most places as long as you have proof.
That includes transport discounts I think too.

I haven't lived in Paris for many years so I can't recommend restaurants, I would keep away from eating at the obvious touristy places though.
There are some wonderful North African and Vietnamese/Cambodian restaurants because of a large immigrant population ( due to the old French Empire)and the Rough Guide should tell you all about it.

Paris like other big cities has some problems with crime but on the whole it feels very safe. I would take the usual precautions but not worry too much about it.

The areas which are a bit more dodgy which the tourists might encounter are "Les Halles" ( Beaubourg) and maybe La Bastille but both are fine during the day.

Other day excursions are Malmaison, Vaux le Vicomte and Chantilly and of course Versailles. Versailles is quite an amazing place but I personally much prefer Vaux le Vicomte which feels more "human".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,314,162 times
Merci Moose! More great info... one more question. How do you dress for Paris in April? I have heard that it is still cold in April and rainy... I also have heard that they dress well and do not appreciate jeans.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
April is very variable, it could still be cool and a bit rainy ( usually showers rather than non stop rain) or you might have a beautiful Spring with sunny warm days which is also quite likely. It should not be cold though. I would say usually cool, if you allow for a "mid season" wardrobe you should be fine ( waterproof commuter coat, medium sweater and lighter clothes if it is warm and sunny too).

By the way , Vaux le Vicomte is 55km, 30 minutes, from Paris by auto. By train, from Gare de Lyon in Paris, or with the RER D from Paris (Le Chatelet) to Melun station, it takes 25 minutes. It's then 6km from Melun station to the chateau, and you can get there by taxi or with the Chateaubus shuttle. See website for shuttle details.

Practical informations about the château of Vaux le Vicomte

Whatever the weather you should have a good time !
Let me know how it goes.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,096 times
Quote:
I also have heard that they dress well and do not appreciate jeans.
Not true at all! Tons of French people wear jeans. What you won't see, however, are big T-shirts with writing on them -- that makes Americans stand out like swore thumbs. Pretty much any clothing with big letters or corporate designs for that matter. Europeans also tend to wear dark colors, so you probably wouldn't fit in wearing bright pink, for example.

April weather can be varied. I would expect highs in the 50s and 60s, but you can also have warm days in the 70s too. Of course, nighttime lows can be in the 40s or lower. You're not gonna need a scarf and gloves or anything, but definitely bring a jacket for the rain!

Everyone has given a lot of good tips on things to see, but I'd like to add the Parc des Buttes Chaumont. It's my favorite park in the city and one that tourists always miss. It's simply gorgeous, and it even has a giant cave with a big waterfall!

Another great park is the Jardin du Luxembourg, near the Latin Quarter. Wonderful place to sit and enjoy the sunshine, people watch, eat lunch, etc. A bit farther afield is the Bois de Vincennes, a huge forest with tons of walking trails, and the very nice Lac Daumesnil. You could get off at the end of Metro Line 1 (Chateau de Vincennes) to see the castle, and then walk through the woods towards the lake.

Generally speaking, the northern and northeastern parts of the city are a little more rough around the edges, but I wouldn't feel unsafe there. Paris is a pretty safe place. And you definitely can't miss Montmartre -- it has my favorite street in Paris (La Place Dalida) and also two windmills (Moulin de la Galette).

Le Marais is another one of the charming "old Paris" neighborhoods. Go for a walk and check out the Place des Vosges.

8 days is plenty of time to take your time and enjoy the city.

A little French goes a long way in Paris. Learn how to pronounce some basic phrases you might need to use, and the Parisians will appreciate the effort (but don't be offended if they start talking back in English ).

If you have any more practical questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm an American living in Paris -- there's a surprisingly large amount of us here!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Not true at all! Tons of French people wear jeans. What you won't see, however, are big T-shirts with writing on them -- that makes Americans stand out like swore thumbs. Pretty much any clothing with big letters or corporate designs for that matter. Europeans also tend to wear dark colors, so you probably wouldn't fit in wearing bright pink, for example.

April weather can be varied. I would expect highs in the 50s and 60s, but you can also have warm days in the 70s too. Of course, nighttime lows can be in the 40s or lower. You're not gonna need a scarf and gloves or anything, but definitely bring a jacket for the rain!

Everyone has given a lot of good tips on things to see, but I'd like to add the Parc des Buttes Chaumont. It's my favorite park in the city and one that tourists always miss. It's simply gorgeous, and it even has a giant cave with a big waterfall!

Another great park is the Jardin du Luxembourg, near the Latin Quarter. Wonderful place to sit and enjoy the sunshine, people watch, eat lunch, etc. A bit farther afield is the Bois de Vincennes, a huge forest with tons of walking trails, and the very nice Lac Daumesnil. You could get off at the end of Metro Line 1 (Chateau de Vincennes) to see the castle, and then walk through the woods towards the lake.

Generally speaking, the northern and northeastern parts of the city are a little more rough around the edges, but I wouldn't feel unsafe there. Paris is a pretty safe place. And you definitely can't miss Montmartre -- it has my favorite street in Paris (La Place Dalida) and also two windmills (Moulin de la Galette).

Le Marais is another one of the charming "old Paris" neighborhoods. Go for a walk and check out the Place des Vosges.

8 days is plenty of time to take your time and enjoy the city.

A little French goes a long way in Paris. Learn how to pronounce some basic phrases you might need to use, and the Parisians will appreciate the effort (but don't be offended if they start talking back in English ).

If you have any more practical questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm an American living in Paris -- there's a surprisingly large amount of us here!
Oh boy... I will go find a nice pair of jeans this weekend and unpack the
t-shirt that says "Texas Love it or Leave It". I know how much everybody loves Texans. Merci for the accurate weather forecast... that helps a bunch. Where is Parc des Buttes Chaumont (what district)? I will be staying in the Latin Quarter. Where do the locals eat? When do people rise and shine and when do they retire? An itinerary would be good! I don't know where to start. Where do the Americans live/congregate? I will have to check out your fav street La Place Dalida... why is it your favorite? Thank you SO much for all the great information! Au revoir!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Oh boy... I will go find a nice pair of jeans this weekend and unpack the
t-shirt that says "Texas Love it or Leave It". I know how much everybody loves Texans. Merci for the accurate weather forecast... that helps a bunch. Where is Parc des Buttes Chaumont (what district)? I will be staying in the Latin Quarter. Where do the locals eat? When do people rise and shine and when do they retire? An itinerary would be good! I don't know where to start. Where do the Americans live/congregate? I will have to check out your fav street La Place Dalida... why is it your favorite? Thank you SO much for all the great information! Au revoir!
The Parc des Buttes Chaumont is in the 19th district (northeastern Paris). The key to getting around the city is a good knowledge of the metro system. Fortunately, it's pretty easy, fast, and efficient.

Make sure you get a good map that shows the metro stops, in addition to the metro lines. All metro lines are numbered (1-14) and color-coded. The direction of the trains is determined by the final stops on the line. For example, if you're in the center of Paris and you want to go west on line 1, you would follow the signs for "Direction - La Défense," whereas if you want to go east, you choose "Direction - Chateau de Vincennes."

Here's a sample metro map: http://www.parisweekendbreak.net/ima...-map-large.gif

Very rarely do you have to wait more than 4 or 5 minutes for a train. It usually takes about 1 to 1.5 minutes to travel between stops. If you can, try to avoid changing lines in big stations like Chatelet or Montparnasse; it can take a long time, especially at rush hour.

Now, the question is: what kind of ticket do you buy for the metro? You have a few options. Individual tickets cost 1.60 (one ticket provides you unlimited travel on the metro system (as many connections as you want); as soon as you exit above ground, your ticket is no longer valid). Generally speaking, you want to ask for a "carnet" at the ticket window - that's a set of 10 tickets at a price of 11.40.

You can also buy tickets from machines in the station, but you'll need change. American cards won't work in them.

There are also a couple of passes that allow you unlimited travel for a certain number of days. There's the "ParisVisite" ticket, which costs 28.30 for 5 days (ask for zones 1-3). Just make sure you don't lose that ticket! A potentially better option is the "Passe Navigo Découverte," a magnetic pass that you slide over the turnstile instead of sticking your ticket in. You would get a 1-week pass ("hebdomadaire") for zones 1-2 at a price of 16.80, but the thing is that it's only valid from Monday to Sunday. So if you're arriving in the middle of the week, it might not be worth it. You should also bring an extra passport photo or they'll have to take your picture for the pass.

In addition to the 14 Metro lines, there are also four "RER" lines (A-D). These go through the city and out into the suburbs. Your metro tickets will also work on these as long as you don't leave Paris proper (zones 1-2). If you want to go to Versailles, for example, you'll need to buy a separate ticket. If you go to Versailles, you'll want to enter an RER station somewhere on line C and then watch the monitors for the train going to "Versailles Rive Gauche (RG)." It will tell you which platform ("quai") to board at.

ALWAYS hold on to your tickets after you've passed through the turnstile and are on the metro or RER. For the RER, you'll need the ticket to exit above ground. For the metro, you won't need the ticket to exit, but every once in a while there are metro agents who check for tickets.

I hope that didn't sound too confusing... riding the metro is actually quite simple! You should get the hang of it quickly.

As for your other questions... where the locals eat depends a lot on how wealthy they are. Generally, eastern Paris is more "working class" and less expensive than western Paris. Try to avoid restaurants near big tourist attractions. The Latin Quarter is actually a great area to stay in, because a *lot* of locals eat dinner there (and you can find stuff that isn't *too* expensive... but be prepared to pay more than you would in the US!). Another popular area for the locals is the area around the Place de la Bastille.

French people wake up about the same time as Americans, I would say, except they don't really sleep in on the weekends (well, maybe the young people... ). You will need to adjust to a different eating schedule, though. Don't expect all restaurants to be open at 6pm; most French people eat between 7:30pm and 9pm. There is plenty of nightlife if you're into that, although keep in mind that the metros stop running shortly after midnight.

You'll find a lot of Americans near the tourist attractions, but many of them are also in the Latin Quarter, especially students.

La Place Dalida is my favorite street because of its old buildings and distinct "Montmartre" character... when you're in that area, it doesn't even feel like Paris at all.

As for an itinerary... well, I think the key is just to get a map and mark the places you want to go to. Paris is best enjoyed by strolling around leisurely, not rushing to see this and that in a particular order. I think you have plenty of time. So relax!

I hope that wasn't information overload

Old 03-20-2009, 06:07 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
La Sainte Chapelle has GOT to be my favorite place - but DO choose to go on a sunny day, so you can see the glorious stained glass to its best advantage.

DO watch out for gypsies who are there to pick your pocket: they have a scam. A man or woman will approach you with a 'gold' ring and act as if he/she just found it on the pavement. You'll be asked to look at it to see if it's yours. While you're doing that an accomplice will grab your goods (and they're VERY SKILLED - you won't know your wallet or money is gone until you look for it). AVOID anyone coming toward you proffering a gold ring.

And one act of courtesy: do learn to use 'merci' and 's'il vous plait' - it goes a long way.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:51 AM

Yeah, I've seen the gold ring scam before too, although sometimes they'll offer to give it to you, and once you take it they'll just ask you for money.

Also be wary of gypsies who ask, "Do you speak English?" (particularly common in front of Notre Dame) If you say yes, they'll hand you a piece of paper with some fake tragic story asking for money. The best thing to do is just shake your head or ignore them.

And another thing about courtesy - French shopkeepers are very much inclined to say, "Bonjour monsieur/madame" when you enter a store of any kind. Likewise, they will usually say "Au revoir" when you leave. It's a good idea to return the favor!

Old 03-20-2009, 09:52 AM

5,006 posts, read 10,682,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
La Sainte Chapelle has GOT to be my favorite place - but DO choose to go on a sunny day, so you can see the glorious stained glass to its best advantage.

DO watch out for gypsies who are there to pick your pocket: they have a scam. A man or woman will approach you with a 'gold' ring and act as if he/she just found it on the pavement. You'll be asked to look at it to see if it's yours. While you're doing that an accomplice will grab your goods (and they're VERY SKILLED - you won't know your wallet or money is gone until you look for it). AVOID anyone coming toward you proffering a gold ring.

And one act of courtesy: do learn to use 'merci' and 's'il vous plait' - it goes a long way.
That's hilarious--they do the same thing in Argentina!

Just thought that I would put in my two cents.
It has been a while since I have been to Paris but no one has mentioned (I think) Sacre Coeur, which is a beautiful church on a hill (when I was there, there were many artists drawing/ hanging out on the steps as well as a groovy carousel you could ride on.)

If you get a chance, the Loire Valley--old chateaus with beautiful gardens.

Musee D'Orsay--my favorite museum in the world! The French refer to it as "La Gare" because it used to be a train station before it was converted to a museum. One of my favorite works of art is there--Le Fifre by Manet.

The Louvre is great but HUGE!!! I wouldn't recommend trying to see it all in one day (my feet were killing me!) The Mona Lisa is displayed there but when I went to see it, there was a crowd of people, a velvet rope and a thick layer of plexiglass around it (i.e. it might not be easy to get a very good view of it.)

Pere Lachaise cemetary--gravesites of many famous people, including Moliere, Oscar Wilde and Jim Morrison, among others.

Latin Quarter/ Quartier Latin for inexpensive yet fashionable shopping.

The French have an undeserved reputation for being rude. Many travelers make the mistake of acting "gauche," literally meaning "left" but translated as "awkward." That said, most French--especially Parisians--appreciate sophistication and tend to wince at the otherwise. Just something to keep in mind in case you get the feeling that the locals are being unfriendly

Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

Thanks for the warning! I guess it would be a good idea to leave my purse in the hotel and wear a money belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel