U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM

125 posts, read 532,267 times

Advertisements

Objective advice from ANYONE-Travel, School&Age

I have been torturing m yself with a major decision for almost a year now. I have talked to friends and family, made pros and cons lists, flipped a coin, and I still canít decide: tough decision in a nutshell ; Travel now or return to school and travel later-but there is a bit more to this:

I am 34. I work in a field I have no interest in Ė banking. I make good money, hence my ability to save relatively easily. I am completely apathetic about my work. I canít stand it. Not a good thing.

I never finished my degree because I changed my mind and major so many times. So I took a break. Which turned out to be a really long one.

I have the opportunity to go back to school, finish my BS, get a PA/MPH and finish all of this in about 3-4 years. I ultimately want to work for World Health Organization or somewhere that would allow me to work overseas in developing countries.

Thing is, I would be re-locating to do this, which will eat into a bit of my savings. And I would be putting off any major, long-term international travel for at least 3-4 years.

Or I could stay at the job I canít stand, simply to keep saving money. Then take off for a 6-12 month trip around the world. And then come back Ė but probably not with the same job. (Highly doubt I could get a leave of absence) And then go back to school.

One day my gut says to go back to school, get in the field I want, and weave travel into that. Iím not getting any younger. The next day my gut says ďif you donít travel now, will you be miserable for the next 3-4 yearsĒ

But I am miserable. In my day to day life. And traveling isnít going to fix that, is it.

Iíve had a wanderlust since I was a child. If I died tomorrow, I would regret both not traveling and not getting my degree. They are both extremely important to me.

What would you all do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM

351 posts, read 1,719,857 times
In this economy, I'd try to do all three. Use your holiday and perhaps request some additional leave time to travel, and then try to finish your BS in night school when you return. Jobs may not be easily come by, and the recession will take awhile to work itself out. Unless you have the financial means to support yourself, or think you'd be happier flipping burgers (if you can get those jobs anymore!) don't throw away your income stream.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:19 PM

366 posts, read 1,582,559 times
Finish school, no question. Then you should be able to do whatever you want after that.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:29 PM

515 posts, read 1,173,663 times
I would travel until the beginning of the next school semester. IE: College here is off from may-september. Travel, then begin school in September.

That's what I would do!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Finishing BS at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
In this economy, I'd try to do all three. Use your holiday and perhaps request some additional leave time to travel, and then try to finish your BS in night school when you return. Jobs may not be easily come by, and the recession will take awhile to work itself out. Unless you have the financial means to support yourself, or think you'd be happier flipping burgers (if you can get those jobs anymore!) don't throw away your income stream.
This would take at least 2 more years, as many of the classes I have left are upper division science courses, and I couldn't take a full course load each semester. This would make my journey to finish school 5-7 years long instead of 3-4. I don't think I can be that patient - besides, my work suffers when I am in school because I care much more about furthering my education and getting good grades than the job I am already apathetic about. i know the economy is scary right now, but waiting it out could take 1-3 more years.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM

5,678 posts, read 8,592,236 times
I would concentrate on finishing school, that is more important from a long term aspect than traveling. You can travel even when you are 40, you have a lifetime to do that...the countries are not going anywhere trust me ;-) You will be happier if you get into a field you truly like and I would suggest defering travel for a bit to do that.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,122,888 times
Finish school and try and find a job that makes you content. You might find that your desire to travel extensively is not as keen once you have a career that is stimulating and offers more rewards than a good salary.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:10 AM

339 posts, read 1,075,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
This would take at least 2 more years, as many of the classes I have left are upper division science courses, and I couldn't take a full course load each semester. This would make my journey to finish school 5-7 years long instead of 3-4. I don't think I can be that patient - besides, my work suffers when I am in school because I care much more about furthering my education and getting good grades than the job I am already apathetic about. i know the economy is scary right now, but waiting it out could take 1-3 more years.
I empathise because I had a similar situation in my early twenties. I really feel for you reading that message!

Your messages make very clear how much you hate your job. That seems to be the outstanding issue to me. I would say that definitely has to go. What is also clear is that you want to travel. Anyone who says to just forget that, it's not important or put it off for 3+ years probably doesn't know how badly the travel bug can bite!! It is definitely important. Especially if you want to work for an NGO or an organisation like WHO. I think for that sort of job, getting some 'worldy' experience can count for a lot.

Can you save heaps of money between now and when the school semester starts? If you can my solution would be, should it be financially possible for you, is to study full-time, finish your degree then during your summer breaks go traveling for 1, 2, 3 months. Choose cheap destinations - there are no shortage of those! Travel on a shoestring...it's surprising how far your money can go.

I think things can come a bit unstuck when you elicit opinions from all your friends, family and strangers, because you'll inevitably get conflicting opinions! You need to go with your gut. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks all - Really and truly. Its time to finish that degree - and be satisfied with traveling on breaks for now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel