U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times

Advertisements

St Thomas would be a really good fit for you. If I were you I would check out a condo rental for the two of you at either Sapphire/Crystal Cove (both on beautiful Sapphire Beach) or Secret Harbour. VRBO® is Vacation Rentals By Owner (http://www.vrbo.com - broken link) is an excellent source for condo rentals. All the condos have kitchens which will save you on breakfasts and lunches and even dinners if you don't feel like going out!

Both these locations are on great beaches with soft sand, palms and very good snorkeling, and on the East end of the island where there are restaurants/bars/shops, the ferry terminal for day trips to St John and the British Virgin Islands and plenty of sailing charters.

Figure a rental car into your budget so you can explore to your heart's content. As long as you don't rent from Hertz you can also take your vehicle over to St John on the car barge. We drive on the left here but the maximum speed limit is 35 MPH and the majority of your driving will be around 25MPH, so no worries!

May or June is the perfect time to come as it's the end of high season and you should be able to get a good deal on accommodation.

Wherever you decide to go, have a wonderful trip. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:17 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,318,993 times
Just went through this situation myself. I finally broke down and went with Grand Cayman. I picked it because I learned it was VERY SAFE and clean. I knew going in that the cost was high there (food, etc...) We went a month ago and had a great time. Stayed at the Marriortt Grand Hotel (expensive but I would try and priceline it if I went back) nice hotel. Did some snorkeling and beach time. Overall a fun 4 day weekend.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,216,834 times
I'm making travel plans for 8 days 7 nights somewhere in the Bahamas Area. I think Nassau sounds like a nice place. Maybe a Sandals or Atlantis. Could anyone recommend a beach front hotel with decent amenities and service that may be a bit cheaper?

I noticed those two hotels have a bunch of extra stuff (water slides etc.) that I have no interest in using. I just want a nice place on the beach. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,438,315 times
I went on a caribbean cruise this spring and enjoyed it

the one island that really had me wanting more was St. Thomas - could of easily of spent a week there

we spent our morning at Magens Bay beach which is beautiful - calm waters, sandy and shallow floor, saw an iguana walking the beach, a turtle in the water, some jumping fish and a little shark jumping at the chance to eat them ....... was busy as it turned into the afternoon, but was empty early in the morning

then we took the tramride and had just fantastic views of the island - after that some food and browsing - it was great

so many other things of interest though - quick trips out to St. Johns and all the things you can do in the national park and trunk bay

the other beaches

coral world (helmet diving looks like a blast)

a trip out to jost van dyke

taking in a quiet day at water island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel