U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:28 PM

7 posts, read 21,047 times

Advertisements

hi, I am coming in L.A. in June.
I want to see Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, Venice Beach, Universal Studio... Maybe Disneyland and UCLA...etc...
Are those things close to each other, ( I know Disneyland and Venice Beach are not....) ? Can I see everything in 3/4 days?

Also, if somebody know are these hotels ok and close to these attractions;
Westside Rentals Hollywood Hotel
Hollywood Inn
Cecil Hotel
Wilshire Plaza Hotel L.A.
Westside Rentals Hollywood Hotel
Motel 6 L.A.

Can I do all of these things (B.Hills, Rodeo..etc) without car if I stay for example near Franklin Ave, West Sunset Boulevar... Are the attractions in walking distance , bus?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 06:04 PM

366 posts, read 1,584,120 times
Without looking the hotels up, I'm no help, but you cannot do these things without a car in L.A. in 3/4 days. I imagine there are tours that might do most of these things because you can certainly get a good taste of Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, Hollywood walk of fame (I'm assuming Hollywood Blvd), the Chinese Theator (on the walk of fame) and include Pinks & Melrose Avenue in a day then go to Universal City Walk in the evening. You could include U.C.L.A. and Westwood while you're near it at Rodeo Blvd. but don't know why you would go visit U.C.L.A. other than to drive through it. Next day go to Venice Beach in the morning and go to Disney for the afternoon and evening. That leaves another day for Universal Studios which doesn't take the entire day. One night you might want to walk Olvera Street. The first street in L.A. (I think that's the history) but it's a tourist area that only runs a block or two with little Mexican cantinas and souvenir shops. Now some people can tell you that you can't do all this in four days, but I do it almost every year and visit family to boot. As the song goes, I love L.A. and that's because you can do so much in so little time. Just know that you will miss so much more you will go back.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:13 PM

5,717 posts, read 8,625,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestylegirl9 View Post
Can I do all of these things (B.Hills, Rodeo..etc) without car if I stay for example near Franklin Ave, West Sunset Boulevar... Are the attractions in walking distance , bus?

thanks

walking distance? that concept does not exist in LA!! I guess you can take a bus but that is going to be very time consuming and I don't recommend it. Cab is going to be very expensive due to traffic/distance involved.

You can catch the Metro from Hollywood to Universal Studios, but between Hollywood and Rodeo Drive it is NOT walking distance, it's about 5-6 miles if not more! Getting to Venice Beach or UCLA without a car is difficult. Disneyland you could probably take the Metro to Union Station and then take the OC Metrolink to Anaheim but the service is quite pathetic...I think they have like 6-7 runs a day and mostly around office hrs (early mornings and late evenings).

Sorry but you really need a car in LA to get around efficiently, no way around it.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:33 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,298,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
walking distance? that concept does not exist in LA!! I guess you can take a bus but that is going to be very time consuming and I don't recommend it. Cab is going to be very expensive due to traffic/distance involved.

You can catch the Metro from Hollywood to Universal Studios, but between Hollywood and Rodeo Drive it is NOT walking distance, it's about 5-6 miles if not more! Getting to Venice Beach or UCLA without a car is difficult. Disneyland you could probably take the Metro to Union Station and then take the OC Metrolink to Anaheim but the service is quite pathetic...I think they have like 6-7 runs a day and mostly around office hrs (early mornings and late evenings).

Sorry but you really need a car in LA to get around efficiently, no way around it.

50% of travelers at tripadvisor use public transportation for their trip to L.A. Of those a poll found 88% were satisfied or very satisfied with using public transit for their trip. I don't see how getting to UCLA from her hotel is difficult when it just takes one bus that runs every ten minutes. How hard could that be? Every destination she listed was able to be done with only one transfer from the Wilshire Plaza hotel, many by subway.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:49 PM

I recommend you stay at the Wilshire Plaza Hotel. I think it is the nicest hotel out of the bunch and a decent location for public transportation being located at the Wilshire/Normandie Subway stop for the Pink Line.

Make metro.net your friend for public transport.

Directions by public transport to the destinations you mentioned from Wilshire Plaza Hotel:

1. Hollywood/Chinese Theater/Walk of Fame: Take the Pink Line subway east towards "Union Station" from Wilshire/Normandie station. At Wilshire/Vermont station transfer to the Red Line north towards "North Hollywood." Exit at Hollywood/Vine or Hollywood/Highland station, both in Hollywood along the Walk of Fame. Trip time is about 25 minutes with transfer.

2. Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive: In front of the hotel go to the Metro Rapid stop and take Metro Rapid Bus 720 West towards "Santa Monica." Exit the bus at Wilshire/Beverly in Beverly Hills. Rodeo Drive is one block over from the stop and you can walk around this area. Metro Rapid Bus 720 is frequent and about every ten-fifteen minutes. Trip time to Beverly Hills from the hotel is about 25 minutes.

3. UCLA: Again, just take the Metro Rapid Bus 720 West towards Santa Monica. Exit at Wilshire/Westwood. Walk north along Westwood Blvd. through the Westwood Village shopping area until you arrive at the university. About 35 minutes from your hotel via bus.

4. Universal Studios: Follow the same directions as going to Hollywood. Instead of getting off the Red Line at the stops mentioned for Hollywood, continue to Universal City station and get off there. A tram takes you from the subway station to the park entrance. About 25 minutes trip time including connection.

5. Venice Beach: Metro Rapid Bus 720 West from your hotel to Santa Monica. Take to the end of the route in downtown Santa Monica and get off at the beach. This is a good area to explore and walk around too. Nice shopping, a pier, and good beachfront. You can walk to Venice along the beach from Santa Monica or catch the "Santa Monica Big Blue Bus" Route #2 south from downtown Santa Monica and get off in Venice. About 40 minutes to Santa Monica. Ten more minutes to Venice Beach on bus.

6. Disneyland: Book with Starline Tours. They pick up at your hotel at 8:30AM and you will spend the entire day at Disneyland. It is $107 which includes motor coach bus tranportation to and from and entrance tickets to Disneyland.

This should be fine to do in 3 or 4 days, this is how many most travelers have. Universal Studios and Hollywood can be done in one day.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 PM

lifestylegirl9, do you mind giving your dates in June? June is a great time to see a perfromance at the Hollywood Bowl and I can check and see if their is a performance during your stay. I can also help you set up a public transit friendly itinerary.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 AM

tnx

i will be there from 20/21 till 23 , i am not sure yet, 3or 4 days..

Old 03-28-2009, 07:05 AM

and... hm... if check in is at 2pm and I am arriving in the morning can I leave my lagguge somewhere or in hotel?

Old 03-28-2009, 12:21 PM

OK. Here is a rough itinerary you might consider. I will try to fit it in for the three day option and if you decide for a fourth day you can do more.

Day 1: Go to your hotel, try to check in early, or just leave your luggage with the front desk (if the hotel will do this, call ahead to make sure).
-Take the subway to Universal Studios and the free shuttle/tram up the hill to the park entrance. The park opens at 9AM in June. There are some rides you will want to do like Jurrasic Park, Revenge of the Mummy, Simpsons Ride, etc... see some shows like Waterworld, Shrek 4-D, etc... and of course you will want to do the backlot studio tour. On the backlot studio tour a tram will take you to famous movie sets like Wisteria Lane for Desparate Housewives, psycho house, War of the Worlds plane crash set, etc.. Courthouse Square was a popular set but burned in a recent fire. Most visitors get Universal done in about half a day. You could finish probably from 3-5PM. Once done with Universal catch the subway back down to Hollywood. See the Kodak Theatre, Chinese Theater, Walk of Fame, Capital Records Building, El Capitan Theater, Hollywood and Highland Center, see street performers, etc... If you love music, go to Amoeba Music on Sunset Blvd. as well. You can easily spend the whole evening walking around Hollywood and seeing the sites. You can go to a sit down restaurant or get something quicker and less expensive in Hollywood. Head back to your hotel once done.

2. This is the day to head towards the Westside. Catch a Metrorapid Bus around 10AM and get off at Hancock Park to see the famous La Brea Tar Pits. Then catch a Metrorapid Bus up Fairfax Ave. to the Grove/LA Farmers Market. Do some shopping and eat a delicious lunch here, it is worth it. Around noon catch a Metrorapid Bus on Fiarfax south to Wilshire and connect back to the Metrorapid 720 heading west. Get off in Beverly Hills, walk around and look at all the expensive stuff, watch a exotic car like a Ferrari pass you every couple of minutes. I estimate around 2PM you will be back on the bus and arrive in Santa Monica. Enjoy the beach, the shopping, the water, the people watching, etc... You can walk along the beach to Venice or catch a bus there. Venice gets quieter at night time so I would eat dinner in Santa Monica around Third Street. In the evening head back to your hotel.

3. Either go to Dinseyland for the whole day
or if you decide you don't want to do Disneyland (which is up to you)
3. You could catch the subway to downtown, explore Olvera Street, Broadway Ave, etc... do a historic distric walking tour. Then head to Hollywood on the subway and do a tour of the "Stars Homes" (if you are into that sort of thing) with Starline Tours, head up to Griffith Observatory for some great views, and wrap the night up enjoying the nightlife and restaurants along the Sunset Strip.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:15 PM

12,351 posts, read 18,454,883 times
On word answer - NO.

The Eagles didn't sing about "freeways, cars, and trucks" for no reason. Get a rental car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel