U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 AM

336 posts, read 950,795 times

Advertisements

Wife and I want to take a vacation in September. We'd like to fly to Florida, take a short (Bahamas) cruise, then return to port, rent a car and spend a couple of days in the Orlando area before returning home to CA. Trouble is the travel sites (Orbitz, Travelocity, etc.) seem to be organized to arrange either flight/hotel or cruise type vacations, but not the "combo" we'd like. I don't see an easy way to schedule this "multi-faceted" type of vacation online. Has anyone experienced this problem and resolved it? Looking fo advice-thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 12:46 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,542,637 times
You're talking about a travel agent. That's what travel agents do: they take all the pieces of a puzzle and fit them together in a way that pleases the traveler. I've used a travel agent occasionally over the years; I chose the one used by my office because their service was excellent.

"Travel sites" aren't travel sites -- they're just airlines, hotels and rental cars. That's quite a lot of "bundling" as it is, if you think about the enormous number of combinations they entail. You won't find any site, other than travel agents -- actual human beings on the phone -- able to research, choose, secure and combine the products of so many companies in one place such as you want.

If you don't want the organizational help, industry knowledge, ideas and discounts of a travel agent, you have to do the work yourself. Go to the various websites and make your reservations there. Be certain to PRINT OUT ALL YOUR RECEIPTS -- and PACK ALL YOUR RECEIPTS IN YOUR CARRY-ON so they don't get shipped to Chicago.

In Orlando, I hope you make time to go to SeaWorld and see the dolphins show. Breathtaking! The Shamu show is also thrilling. I wish you well in hurricane season.

Last edited by allforcats; 03-28-2009 at 12:57 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 10:01 AM

13,200 posts, read 20,890,658 times
For a multi step trip, I agree with allforcats, a travel agent is the way to go. Last year we booked a trip on Travelocity, and the airline canceled our flight home. It was a major pain to try and correct the hotel to match the new flight, using Travelocity customer service. Their call centers are in India. We actually got a refund we didn't realize we were getting, because we couldn't understand the CSR's accent. And, it took 6 hour-long calls with lots of hold time. It didn't cost us any more to rebook the trip ourselves, but that was just flight and hotel. If something should go wrong, like a delayed flight, a travel agent can be a big help in rebooking.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:44 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,542,637 times
Mattie's story is an excellent example.

Everything in the world can go wrong during a multi-stage trip: intense weather, cancellations for mechanical reasons, security threats, revolutions, infestations, world or local politics, traveler's illness, accident, change of mind, etc.

In my experience, having someone "at the helm", on the other side of an 800 phone number or email, who knows everything and knows how to fix and change things is so well worth the tiny fee the traveler pays for that service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or