U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 AM

67 posts, read 206,410 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm going to Chicago for three days in May. I'm flying into O'Hare and wonder about the best way to the Loop by ground transportation.

Do you think the Loop is the most convenient area for accomodation or are there other good quarters to stay? What is the best bet for inexpensive (for Chicago) Hotels.

What are the things I really shouldn't miss while in Chicago? I'm especially interested in neighborhoods and I love exploring the city by foot and public transport. I'm not that interested in museums and tourist sights. I'd like to get a feel for Chicago.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,906,373 times
Catch the Blue line from Ohare to the Loop (takes about 45 minutes). Inexpensive and convenient dont go together during a Chicago summer. Friends have used hotel websites to get reasonable values in the River North area.

Chicago w/o tourist stuff...If you want near the Loop...Hmmm try North Ave beach, may still be cool though. Take the Red L to Wrigley (or whatever Comiskey is called but its a step below in terms of entertainment). En route stop in Chinatown for a good lunch.

Bucktown/Wicker/Park was the hip area to go not long ago, but that seems to change every year or two. More yup and studdent is Lincoln Park/DePaul area - Fullerton stop.

Little Italy and Greektown are near UIC, and worth a quick look but mainly restaurants. There is usually a festival in some hood or Grant Park if interested. Really depends on what you want to do...

Old 04-02-2009, 11:52 AM

366 posts, read 1,584,003 times
I like to stay at the Best Western River North, mainly because they have an indoor pool and free parking (something you won't need). It's across the street from the Rock and Roll McDonalds (believe me it's a fun place) and the Hard Rock. I have walked to Michigan Avenue, but it is a good hike. We always found their weekend fares to be very reasonable, for Chicago at least.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:24 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,510,786 times
I concur with the blue line to downtown - very convenient.

Most hotels are in River North or along North Michigan Ave. This area has a lot of activity and is a good place to stay. That being said it is franchised out, and you will have to hit up the neighborhoods for more authentic experiences.

Oildog has some good suggestions on neighborhoods. Also check out this site before you come into town.

Metromix Chicago | Your Chicago Restaurants, Nightlife & Events Guide

Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM

14,273 posts, read 24,033,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Do you think the Loop is the most convenient area for accomodation or are there other good quarters to stay? What is the best bet for inexpensive (for Chicago) Hotels.
I would stay in the River North area along Michigan Ave,. which is where the action is,

Many hotels are selling rooms through Hotwire / Priceline in that vacinity for $50-80/night.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 AM

67 posts, read 206,410 times
I'm wondering when I can get the best deals for Hotel rooms. Should I wait until a few days before I go to Chicago or is it better to book early?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 AM

366 posts, read 1,584,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I'm wondering when I can get the best deals for Hotel rooms. Should I wait until a few days before I go to Chicago or is it better to book early?
I would book as soon as you can, and keep checking the prices. If the price goes down the hotel will more than likely match it, just make sure you have a no fee cancellation for your reservation if you cancel before a certain time.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,167,594 times
One of my favorite things to suggest for a first-time visitor is the Architectural Boat Tour.

It exposes you to angles that not many see, and it is a spectacular photo-op experience.

Have fun!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:26 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,906,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
One of my favorite things to suggest for a first-time visitor is the Architectural Boat Tour.

It exposes you to angles that not many see, and it is a spectacular photo-op experience.

Have fun!
I highly recommend this tour. I used to take customers and guests on it all the time when I lived there, without complaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel