Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:42 PM

433 posts, read 1,766,387 times

Advertisements

2 summers ago we went on a family trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. There were 28 of us and we stayed in one huge cabin. We went hiking-which we had never done- and went to Dollywood. We loved that. It was so different from our usual trips to the beach and Disney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM

11,054 posts, read 17,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
When are you moving? In the summer? If that is the case why don't you do your vacation as a road trip on the way to Minnesota? Take time along the way to visit Nashville, Western North Carolina, Dollywood, Biltmore Estate, there is a big cavern in Kentucky (I think it is KY) that kids would love. Many scenic roads along the way including the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Stacy, that big cavern in Kentucky is Mammoth Cave, the largest system of caverns in the world. I took the 4 hour walking tour when I was in high school. If you come up that way, you'll be on I-65 from Nashville and will be passing the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky.
But if you're driving to Minnesota you'll be on I-24 from Nashville. You'll be going by Kentucky and Barkley Lakes and the Land Between the Lakes. The LBL (Land Between The Lakes | HOME )is 170,000 acres between 160,000 acre Kentucky Lake and 58,000 acre Lake Barkley. Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley, and Land Between the Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
2 summers ago we went on a family trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. There were 28 of us and we stayed in one huge cabin. We went hiking-which we had never done- and went to Dollywood. We loved that. It was so different from our usual trips to the beach and Disney.
A trip to the Smokies is a great trip any time of the year! Been to Dollywood one time. If you're looking for amusement parks to go to, check out Holiday World in Santa Claus, In. ( Welcome to Holiday World & Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana! ). Their big attraction this year is the world's tallest water ride. Go to this site and click on Pilgrim's Plunge. Also check out the Voyage roller coaster. You can take a virtual ride on each one. This is a great park for $39.95 general admission. That includes the Splashin' Safari water park.
Didn't mean to carry on so but this is something my wife and I look forward to every year. You can't beat the price!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 AM

4 posts, read 4,974 times
Default plan visit

Hi i am Planning to visit Wisconsin (http://www.visitwisrapids.com/ - broken link) for a week

Old 04-15-2009, 06:12 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,322,764 times
We are actually taking our family DH, DD - 24, DS -17 and myself - to Las Vegas and then driving around Arizona (Phoenix, Sedona, Grand Canyon) and into Utah to see Zion Natl Park. This will be our last true family trip and I want them to see some of the west.

However, it is getting crazy expensive to take 4 adults! $3500 just for air, car, gas and hotels!!! Oh well, it is just money .

Old 04-28-2009, 04:25 PM

287 posts, read 1,084,801 times
We're in St. Louis and we're taking the kids in our camper to Kentucky Lake. Probably 4-5 days. Trying to figure out where to stay now.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:56 PM

288 posts, read 850,000 times
We are renting a rustic cabin for one week in the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park, along the shore of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,776,816 times
OP here - we ended up scrapping our summer vacation (Boulder) and learning about our new city - Minneapolis - we will also spend a long weekend in Duluth.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:30 AM

27,282 posts, read 27,338,831 times
Mine this summer doesnt include the kids but a good place for kids and family would probably be Disneyland.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,322,764 times
OP - that is a great idea. The whole summer will be like a vacation!
You should find all kinds of fun things to do - Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes for a reason!

Plus next year you will have a whole new area of the US to explore that is closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel