U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:02 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,220,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I drove from Nashville to near 4 corners in Colorado and finally pulled over to the side for a nap when I started seeing things run across the road that weren't there. That was less than 20 hours but at night it's a lot harder.
Yeah, I drove from Miami to Denver also, I think that was 34 hours, I had to pull over at 28 hours of straight driving due to a horse and bugee that i swerved out of the way of 3 times.... it was never there and thats when I told myself it was time for a quick nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 PM

68 posts, read 195,276 times
1,100 miles Charlotte, NC to Waterville , Maine all alone in 17 straight hours. Only stopped for gas and to use the bathroom. I was around 20 years old and it was exciting. But I would never do this again! I love to drive vs. fly, but what's the point of burning up the road? I now only drive during the day, take as many secondary roads as possible and see all I can away while avoiding interstate if possible. 200-300 miles a day is a very nice, leisurely pace.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,737,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Changing drivers of course, but would this be a terrible mistake?

We just found my husbands half brother and he lives in AZ (at the CA border) and we live in Virginia. Flying DH, me, adult daughter and teenage son is just too expensive then we still have to rent a car. For a drive, we would be renting a car and we would have 2 or 3 adult drivers. Mapquest says 36 hours to drive.....

Anyone done this? IF we did this, we would take our time driving back so we could do a bit of sightseeing along the way - probably take 5 or 6 days coming home.

Would this be totally crazy?
I did it to the best extent I could, back in 2001. I went from coast to coast and I only stopped for a grand total of 8 hours of sleep (four hours after driving the first ~1,000 miles, another four hours after the next ~1,000 miles, and then I arrived at the end of the third leg of ~1,000 miles). And I did all that without the aid of caffeine or any other energy drink!

I couldn't do any better than that because I was by myself... there was nobody with whom to switch shifts. I did it in a 30-year-old car, in the end of December, traveling through the Rocky Mountains and such, without a cell phone.

Now THAT is crazy.

If you want to do it straight through, give yourself a liberal amount of time by estimating an average speed of 60 miles per hour. That accounts for places where the speed limit is lower, periodic stops for food/gas/going to the bathroom, and maybe even the occasional traffic jam. I've done many a road trip and this is a good estimate. Of course, if you like to speed and you can get away with it, your average speed may be higher. I just don't like the prospect of getting a ticket when I'm over 1,000 miles from home. You can't easily go to court and battle one of those.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:45 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,885,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think the topic is not "solo", but "straight thru", tens of thousands of truck drivers drive solo cross country a day (taking 3 or 4 days), it's not a big deal...another poster confused the issue as well. Very significant difference. And if you indeed did it straight through, with stops only for gas and fast food, then I would venture to guess it would be your dog, and you, and your chemical aid of choice (something stronger than caffiene).
Well, if that is the point, then I've driven 1542 miles, straight thru (Lubbock, TX to Union City, CA), in about 23 hours. That was a bit too much, IMO, but it is not unusual for me to drive 1000-1100 miles in a day, starting early and if speed limit permits (possible west of Texas but not east due to lower speed limits). Virginia to Kingman, AZ, for example, would be about 2200 miles, about 1.5 times more than the longest I've drive "straight thru" (and solo).

Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
The shortest route salt water to salt water, would be 1,423 miles, from Corpus Christi, Texas, to Ocean Beach, San Diego, California. Google Maps says it would take 22 hours.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-12-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 AM

878 posts, read 1,370,716 times
Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA in May...

Route:

Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Illinois
Missouri
Iowa
South Dakota
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Washington

3100ish miles
50 hours driving @ 62 mph average
$450 in hotels
$475 in gas

I moved out here for a job and enjoyed the drive... won't be doing it again though. Flying is so much quicker. :-)

Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,121,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I drove from Nashville to near 4 corners in Colorado and finally pulled over to the side for a nap when I started seeing things run across the road that weren't there. That was less than 20 hours but at night it's a lot harder.
You saw the black dog, didn't you?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:13 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,300,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Changing drivers of course, but would this be a terrible mistake?

We just found my husbands half brother and he lives in AZ (at the CA border) and we live in Virginia. Flying DH, me, adult daughter and teenage son is just too expensive then we still have to rent a car. For a drive, we would be renting a car and we would have 2 or 3 adult drivers. Mapquest says 36 hours to drive.....

Anyone done this? IF we did this, we would take our time driving back so we could do a bit of sightseeing along the way - probably take 5 or 6 days coming home.

Would this be totally crazy?
If you are out of your 20's yeah you're crazy , I used to drive from Metro Los Angeles and Metro San Francisco to Tulsa Oklahoma and crash and sleep for about 18 to 20 hours , and that was in the latter 1970's and earily 1980's when I was in my 20's.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:30 PM

94 posts, read 251,840 times
Not sure if it counts, but I drove from Columbus, OH to St. Petersburg, FL, and made it as far as an hour south of Atlanta before I pulled over and went to bed.

The east-to-west roadtrip has always intrigued me greatly.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You saw the black dog, didn't you?
Never saw a black dog, but I did see a little man, about 2 feet tall, hugging an overhead light standard run across the road in front of me...carrying the light pole!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or