Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:44 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,941 times

Advertisements

Changing drivers of course, but would this be a terrible mistake?

We just found my husbands half brother and he lives in AZ (at the CA border) and we live in Virginia. Flying DH, me, adult daughter and teenage son is just too expensive then we still have to rent a car. For a drive, we would be renting a car and we would have 2 or 3 adult drivers. Mapquest says 36 hours to drive.....

Anyone done this? IF we did this, we would take our time driving back so we could do a bit of sightseeing along the way - probably take 5 or 6 days coming home.

Would this be totally crazy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Changing drivers of course, but would this be a terrible mistake?

We just found my husbands half brother and he lives in AZ (at the CA border) and we live in Virginia. Flying DH, me, adult daughter and teenage son is just too expensive then we still have to rent a car. For a drive, we would be renting a car and we would have 2 or 3 adult drivers. Mapquest says 36 hours to drive.....

Anyone done this? IF we did this, we would take our time driving back so we could do a bit of sightseeing along the way - probably take 5 or 6 days coming home.

Would this be totally crazy?
You certainly can do this and having 3 drivers available is much better than 2 so that the driver has somebody to talk to. However, once the sun goes down and there isn't much scenery to look at, the drone of the tires on the road can be difficult to overcome. An hour or two at a rest-stop when those lids start feeling heavy will usually provide a much needed jump-start.

Two of us once drove from San Diego through the night to Snowbird in Utah, skied all day, hopped in the car and continued on East to Denver before stopping. I think that was close to 36 straight hours.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times
Depends on your age. When I was young, I drove from Pensacola FL to Seattle WA, non-stop, all by myself, it took 90 hours, there were no interstates in those days. Thirty years later, I drove non-stop Cincinnati to Oakland, that took about 55 hours, mostly on the interstate.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:25 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,841 times
My brother and I drove from Raleigh to Denver in 27 hours. After a week of skiing, hiking, mountain climbing & sightseeing, we drove from Santa Fe back to Raleigh in 26 hours. Needless to say, the eastbound trip was much worse since we knew then what we were getting into. Fifteen years later, I'd do it again without hesitation if I had the chance!

Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,941 times
Thanks for your replies! I think I have found a way to come up with some extra money, so we are now planning on flying to one city out west and then driving to see sights in NV and AZ. I'm making another post on that

Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Keep in mind that the minimum age to drive a rental car is usually 25, so even if she is an adult, your daughter might still not be old enough to operate the vehicle.

I ahve driven with two other drivers across the country, and wouldn't do it again non-stop. You really don't sleep well in the car. You really should consider getting a hotel for some real sleep at the halfway point.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,112 times
No, had to stop for gas every 5-6 hours and 3 bathroom breaks.

But other than that, yes. Many do it and it will take you about 2 days from LA to Wilmington -straight on I-40 or you can mosey down to I-10 and come up the east via I-95.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,445,810 times
Crazy and foolish. You have no idea how dangerous it is driving when you're that tired. A car is a deadly weapon.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:59 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,506 times
Driven cross-country solo plenty of times. Best way to do it is to plan your stops for every major city or town in your path, or stop every 4-6 hours, whichever's more convenient.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Depends on your age. When I was young, I drove from Pensacola FL to Seattle WA, non-stop, all by myself, it took 90 hours, there were no interstates in those days. Thirty years later, I drove non-stop Cincinnati to Oakland, that took about 55 hours, mostly on the interstate.
wow, thats impressive.

Ive done about 20 hours nonstop solo...and about 35 hours with one other driver.

Is it crazy? No way, in fact, I think its a lot of fun. Youll see alot of landscape, pass through states youve never been (I assume) and see lots. I say do it

Road trips are awesome, if my wife lets me, Ill totally retire in an RV and just drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel