Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,285 times

Advertisements

Smoking has been shunned - obesity will be the next to go. 50 years ago you wouldnt sneer at someone for smoking. Now you do. You would never sneer at someone for being obese right now, but in 50 years from now it will be as taboo as smoking is in present day.

G Man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:05 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
You would never sneer at someone for being obese right now, but in 50 years from now it will be as taboo as smoking is in present day.

G Man
I doubt it. Back when i was obese, believe me when i say, people were much thinner than they are today. My childhood obesity would not merit a second glance in today's culture, let alone the sneers or snickers that it elicited back then. I honestly don't see us going back to the average weights of yesteryear. There are too many obstacles(electronic games/cable/quick,cheap food/etc.) that would have to be eliminated.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
As a smoker I can agree there are certain places one should not smoke; however I feel it's wrong to tell me I waste money on something I enjoy. Everyone has things they enjoy that others feel is a waste of both time and money, but hello we're all allowed our choice(s) in life.

Interesting twist; a person becomes addicted to alcohol or narcotics and they "have a disease", whereas one becomes addicted to smoking and we're practically every negative word in the English language

Sure the scent of cigar or cigarette smoke can linger through the air. At the same time so does perfumes/colognes that some folks tend to bathe in, a screaming child as I'm trying to enjoy a movie or a flight and then there's the obnoxious drinker.

Bottom line- if you don't want the hassle of something, don't subject yourself to it. To the OP, when I travel I book smoking rooms where I lodge and at the airport I make certain I have my ID and tickets, check with incoming to see how long security is taking. Even when we were at LAX, it took no less then 10 minutes to get through the security check.

No matter what we do in life if you're alive with a pulse, chances are sooner or later you'll be scrutinized. A person elects to have children and can't afford them, there's a group out there not happy you're soaking up the Gov't dollars in welfare. You choose to drive a semi-truck for a living and you're a danger to society (the same society that likes finding their grocery stores shelves stocked!). You choose to become a doctor and you're greedy... the list goes on and on.

So, do that which you choose to enjoy your life to the fullest and if others aren't fond of it, they can change the channels they are viewing

Last edited by cleosmom; 04-10-2009 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: edit wording

Old 04-10-2009, 09:37 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
I just want to know, who or what is going to be blamed for all of the health problems that will continue to occur after all of the smokers quit smoking? There are so many toxins and poisons we breath in or absorb into our skin daily that can cause much ofthe same health problems that are being blamed on cigarette smoke. Is it really going to make that big of a difference to everyone's health if the world stopped smoking?

Think about all of the asbestos that is floating around in the air from brake pads alone. Asbestos can be deadly when breathed into the lungs. Just because the US is putting bans on brake pads containing asbestos the ban does not however eliviate the tons of asbestos dust that is already in this country floating around from old brake pads. That dust is everywhere and there is no way of removing it and it isn't going to disolve and disappear anytime soon. Everytime you move you are most likely stirring up dust that contains asbestos.

Asbestos is just but one agent that can and has caused major health problems, there are many, many more agents out there just floating around, being breathed in or absorbed into our skin daily, that will continue to float around long after we are gone.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:26 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,779 times
As Redd Foxx (Fred Sanford) used to say, " what are these people going to do when they are 80 yrs old and dying of nothing. When I fart, are they going to ban beans too?"

Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,324 times
Where I live there's laws about not smoking within 9 metres of a door.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:07 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
As an aside there are plenty of smoking lounges in the Atlanta airport - was kind of surprised to see them

I've also been in some airports that had TSA secured areas that were outside the building, but within the gate ..... kind of what you get at some arenas - you're outside so there are the elements, but you don't have to clear security again and again

there are still smoking hotel rooms - also many cruiselines are still pretty liberal with smoking allowance

the options are there - maybe not as much as prior years - but they are still there if you are willing to look for them

Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
To each his own....I enjoyed smoking just refuse to now pay what they want for a pack of cigarettes and my mantra is ....when the revenue drops off because many will balk at the prices...they may just start taxing something you enjoy

The government is full of BS with all their ravings about the evils of smoking...why are they still legal then...ahhhhhhhh to much money to be made...big catch 22 for them

Smokers are like any other group of people of course there are rude ones throwing their butts all over the place..it has nothing to do with SMOKING, it's the person themselves, they more than likely drop their empty coffee cup where they are standing as well..slobs are slobs and they come in the smoking variety and the non smoking variety

Old 04-10-2009, 11:24 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
..it has nothing to do with SMOKING, it's the person themselves, they more than likely drop their empty coffee cup where they are standing as well..slobs are slobs and they come in the smoking variety and the non smoking variety
Exactly. On a side note, it's really irritating when non-smokers throw their candy wrappers/empty coffee cups/napkins/etc. into the ashtrays that are outside of buildings. Either pick-up the metal ashtray and throw your trash into the trash bin beneath it, or find a garbage can(usually located mere feet from the ashtray, BTW)!!!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Exactly. On a side note, it's really irritating when non-smokers throw their candy wrappers/empty coffee cups/napkins/etc. into the ashtrays that are outside of buildings. Either pick-up the metal ashtray and throw your trash into the trash bin beneath it, or find a garbage can(usually located mere feet from the ashtray, BTW)!!!!!!!!
EXACTLY!! It's for butts not garbage. Many you don't even need to pick up the metal ash tary part there is usually an opening on the side of the container
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel