U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 PM

6,583 posts, read 10,890,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I've always managed to find hotels with smoking rooms....rental cars....nothing a good dose of Frebrezze couldn't handle
Quote:

That said I am now quitting, have my patch on, the straw that broke my camels back (no pun intended) was the freakin ludicrous taxes...cigarettes are now $7.50 a a pack in NJ and going up again....I'm not going to help those crooked politicians balance the budget. Can't wait to see what they will tax next to make up for the lost revenue on tobacco tax as people quit because they just can't afford it.

I truly enjoyed a cigarette...now if I feel an urge I think of the taxes and get myself MAD..I've also multiplied the cost of a pack by 14 and have that money transferred from my checking into a special savings account every 2 weeks....it does help when you look at the $$ you are saving
So you're one of the inconsiderate Moderator cut: No need for name calling ! who make it miserable for us non smokers. Febreze does NOT take the odor away. You can pretend it does all you want but it doesn't work. I stayed 2 nights in a non smoking hotel room (nice room) and had to put up with the smell of cigarette smoke in the bed.

Last edited by MB2; 04-25-2009 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 AM

1,396 posts, read 3,002,736 times
I always smoke in rental cars. I use a styrofoam cup with a couple inches of water inside and a lid. Carry a small bottle of water in the car and every couple of days replace the cup with clean water. That new car smell is always there when I've returned the vehicle.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,883,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
[b]

So you're one of the Moderator cut: No need for name calling !who make it miserable for us non smokers. Febreze does NOT take the odor away. You can pretend it does all you want but it doesn't work. I stayed 2 nights in a non smoking hotel room (nice room) and had to put up with the smell of cigarette smoke in the bed.

I had always requested SMOKING rooms in hotels as far as rental cars..puhleeze give me a break..the contracts also clearly state NO PETS in the rental cars...you can't get rid of wet dog smell any more than you can smoke so no I don't have much use for the rental car rules

Last edited by MB2; 05-04-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
I always smoke in rental cars. I use a styrofoam cup with a couple inches of water inside and a lid. Carry a small bottle of water in the car and every couple of days replace the cup with clean water. That new car smell is always there when I've returned the vehicle.

Yup and as long as you leave the window cracked..I always had a non smoker do a sniff test for me before I returned it

Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 AM

9,028 posts, read 16,426,519 times
what you fail to realize though is that you are desensitized to just how much the smell permeates - it may smell clear to you, but your sniffer doesn't work so great

also, how many people travel with wet dogs - or pets in general? .... talk about a straw man

yes the rental car will still stink, yes the hotel room will stink

i grew up in a house with two smokers and a wood burning stove - didn't think much of it until I went away to college, came back for winter break and then returned to campus ....... my whole wardrobe just stunk, my luggage stunk, everything

there was a bar in mpls that I would go to where the smoking was so heavy I would put my clothes in the basement and then shower before going to bed .... even with that there were times you could smell the smoke holding clothes on the 2nd floor from the basement

Old 04-14-2009, 10:48 AM

I believe I said I had a non smoker do a sniff test before returning car of which by the way I wasn't a chain smoker..maybe had 2 or 3 in the car if stuck in traffic

The end result is the same, smokers will defend their rights and non smokers will complain about the smell, second hand smoke yada yada yada

Cheer up the non smokers are in the winners circle right now as you've managed to curtail & restict where people can smoke.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:54 PM

17,391 posts, read 21,228,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I doubt it. Back when i was obese, believe me when i say, people were much thinner than they are today. My childhood obesity would not merit a second glance in today's culture, let alone the sneers or snickers that it elicited back then. I honestly don't see us going back to the average weights of yesteryear. There are too many obstacles(electronic games/cable/quick,cheap food/etc.) that would have to be eliminated.
In Japan, today, anyone over 40 has their waists measured, 33.5 inches for men, 35.5 inches for women, and if you exceed those limits, you are closely monitored for a year, and fined thereafter if you continue to exceed those limits. In the corporations in Japan, they start measuring waists at age 30. And they have training camps for those that fail to measure up.

This thin smoker smiles at the future!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:56 PM

755 posts, read 2,033,256 times
The smoking debate is a tough one. On one hand it's ridiculous that the government makes it practically impossible to smoke, whether it's the high cost of them or the laws restricting where you can smoke to just the negative image they have now. I'm not sure what state it is I believe it's California but I read that you can no longer smoke in your own apartment because the smoke can get into the common breezeways and affect someone. Wow that's a stretch to me. But on the other hand it is harmful and kind of gross. I personally don't care if you smoke around me as long as it's not while I’m eating or in my home but I just hate the government dictating what I can and can't do. Hell you can't even smoke at some beaches now, I mean your outside and you still can't smoke. This is a no win for smokers.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
The smoking debate is a tough one. On one hand it's ridiculous that the government makes it practically impossible to smoke, whether it's the high cost of them or the laws restricting where you can smoke to just the negative image they have now. I'm not sure what state it is I believe it's California but I read that you can no longer smoke in your own apartment because the smoke can get into the common breezeways and affect someone. Wow that's a stretch to me. But on the other hand it is harmful and kind of gross. I personally don't care if you smoke around me as long as it's not while I’m eating or in my home but I just hate the government dictating what I can and can't do. Hell you can't even smoke at some beaches now, I mean your outside and you still can't smoke. This is a no win for smokers.
That about sums it up
I'm into day 10 and my reason for quitting is purely the cost in the North East, if I lived in GA or SC I may still be smoking because I did enjoy them...

With the increase in the cost and all the BS regarding smoking I think more people will quit...Can't wait to see the scramble on what to tax to make up for the lost revenue..lol...

Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 AM

29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Quote:
I've seen perfume cause an asthma attack which can be serious and life threatening...
Of course we can not smoke in my office but I can't count the amount of times I had to go outside because some nit wit had on enough perfume to choke a cow and I could feel my throat closing
Yup. We have a woman at work who's so allergic, she can't enter the workplace all day if somebody is wearing strong perfume... our meetings are now "scent-free" because of her & the rest of us who are allergic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel