U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,988,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If things weren't said to cause cancer, do you realize how many jobs, and how many research dollars would be lost? It's only about the money.
I agree nowadays everything causes cancer........the govt doesnt actually care that cigarettes cause cancer or that non smokers dont like to be around smokers......everything boils down to money.............. taxes & fines+ a legal addiction that is hard to kick=revenue for the govt.

I am not a smoker and being around smokers can being a pain but I dont think that smokers should be banned from everywhere....Smoking is legal but yet they act its not and restrict where you can and cant smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,379,780 times
Car exhaust makes me ill...and it's a KNOWN poison. Spend an hour closed up with a car running and see if you live to tell the tale. But you CAN sit in a smoke-filled room (cigarette smoke) no matter how unpleasant you find it. But I have to deal with it when I'm a pedestrian.

I also have to deal with people using too much cologne or perfume. I can't ask them to "leave the room" or "take it outside".

Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
I find it so curious that anti-smoking zealots are so quick to relate a story about a beloved one or a friend or acquaintance who died from lung cancer due to smoking. Yet, they'll never reveal how many of their friends, acquaintances, loved ones, over the years, who have died or left permanently disabled in car accidents due to their nasty, unhealthy, self-destructive, pollution-causing addiction to driving an automobile. Is there a 12-step program to help these people overcome their addictions?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,297,594 times
You smokers have such amazing willpower. I've been trying to take it up since my early 20s but just cant seem to do it.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
There are Start Smoking classes being held in every community across the country, each and every day. Oftentimes, they are filled and you need to get on a waiting list. But be patient, your opportunity to enrich your life will come!

Last edited by tijlover; 04-28-2009 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: change word

Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM

6,262 posts, read 17,360,602 times
ah, and let us not forget the tooooooooo many deaths caused directly by drunk drivers.
I say ban the liquor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I find it so curious that anti-smoking zealots are so quick to relate a story about a beloved one or a friend or acquaintance who died from lung cancer due to smoking. Yet, they'll never reveal how many of their friends, acquaintances, loved ones, over the years, who have died or left permanently disabled in car accidents due to their nasty, unhealthy, self-destructive, pollution-causing addiction to driving an automobile. Is there a 12-step program to help these people overcome their addictions?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:43 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,172,833 times
I smoke and I travel. It's possible but can be cumbersome. There are some things that could be done to make smokers and non-smoker happy. Seeing that about 25% of the population smokes, auto rental companies can reserve 25% of their fleets as smoking cars. Easy. Hotels could have 1 floor for smokers (top floor; smoke rises) and charge smokers a premium rate to pay for the smoke filtration system that moves the smoke out of the room upward to a shaft to the roof. Some smokers would pay an extra charge per night for this. Airlines could have 1 smoking flight per day on each of their routes reserved for smokers. The flight attendants who are smokers, would work these flights. Done. Large expansive places like public beaches can have a roped off area for smokers with plentiful containers where we can throw away our butts. Done. I know smoking bothers people. But non-smokers don't have to be subjected to our smoke if establishments and municipalities were more apt to find a solution for everyone. Non smokers will say that smokers are a burden on the health system. However, smokers pay a significant tax burden to smoke and it's not our fault if our local government isn't using those tax dollars towards that burden. As a smoker, my fantasy is that all smokers quit or that it's eventually make illegal. Boy, will the tax deficit be huge then. I love to travel and will never allow the restrictive smoking laws to stop me from traveling. But the propaganda out there about how my smoking effects non smokers is outlandish. If you're seating at an outdoor cafe my smoke is nil as compared to the pollutants from traffic. I personally don't have an issue with non smoking restaurants. But if John Doe owns a tavern and wants to allow smoking, he should be able to. If Jet Blue wants to dedicate 10% of their fleet to smoking flights, they should be able to. Fast food, lack of exercise, pollution, chemicals in our food, etc. all are bad for all of us. I may smoke, but my family owns 1 car and we take public transportation alot. In our own way, we are making our environment healthier than our 3 car family non-smoking neighbors who burn fuel and pollute the air with abandon. In my city, private clubs aren't even allowed. That means if I want to open a business, charge $100 a year to members (smokers) and hire smokers to work my club, I can't. Because why? Because some non-smoker who may want to work there is discriminated? What a joke! Smokers are villanized in our society. But not to the point where the government doesn't want our money. Our taxes benefit everyone. They benefit non smokers too. So how is it fair that we can't have places and services to benefit us? At 25% of society, granted, we're a minority. But we're here. We're Americans. We're buying an American made product. We're paying dearly for that product and it's not an illegal product. It may as well be.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:54 PM

6,262 posts, read 17,360,602 times
OMG-that has to be the BEST post I've read on here in a LONG time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I smoke and I travel. It's possible but can be cumbersome. There are some things that could be done to make smokers and non-smoker happy. Seeing that about 25% of the population smokes, auto rental companies can reserve 25% of their fleets as smoking cars. Easy. Hotels could have 1 floor for smokers (top floor; smoke rises) and charge smokers a premium rate to pay for the smoke filtration system that moves the smoke out of the room upward to a shaft to the roof. Some smokers would pay an extra charge per night for this. Airlines could have 1 smoking flight per day on each of their routes reserved for smokers. The flight attendants who are smokers, would work these flights. Done. Large expansive places like public beaches can have a roped off area for smokers with plentiful containers where we can throw away our butts. Done. I know smoking bothers people. But non-smokers don't have to be subjected to our smoke if establishments and municipalities were more apt to find a solution for everyone. Non smokers will say that smokers are a burden on the health system. However, smokers pay a significant tax burden to smoke and it's not our fault if our local government isn't using those tax dollars towards that burden. As a smoker, my fantasy is that all smokers quit or that it's eventually make illegal. Boy, will the tax deficit be huge then. I love to travel and will never allow the restrictive smoking laws to stop me from traveling. But the propaganda out there about how my smoking effects non smokers is outlandish. If you're seating at an outdoor cafe my smoke is nil as compared to the pollutants from traffic. I personally don't have an issue with non smoking restaurants. But if John Doe owns a tavern and wants to allow smoking, he should be able to. If Jet Blue wants to dedicate 10% of their fleet to smoking flights, they should be able to. Fast food, lack of exercise, pollution, chemicals in our food, etc. all are bad for all of us. I may smoke, but my family owns 1 car and we take public transportation alot. In our own way, we are making our environment healthier than our 3 car family non-smoking neighbors who burn fuel and pollute the air with abandon. In my city, private clubs aren't even allowed. That means if I want to open a business, charge $100 a year to members (smokers) and hire smokers to work my club, I can't. Because why? Because some non-smoker who may want to work there is discriminated? What a joke! Smokers are villanized in our society. But not to the point where the government doesn't want our money. Our taxes benefit everyone. They benefit non smokers too. So how is it fair that we can't have places and services to benefit us? At 25% of society, granted, we're a minority. But we're here. We're Americans. We're buying an American made product. We're paying dearly for that product and it's not an illegal product. It may as well be.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:59 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,172,833 times
Thank you, DreamWeavin!

Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM
ttz

679 posts, read 1,500,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
If they indeed died from smoking? Are you calling me a liar? You know what, this so isn't worth it anymore.
The defensive tobacco addict will tell you time and time again, that even if a person who smoked dies of lung cancer, you cannot say for certain that it was from smoking! Yes I have had this discussion/argument before. Makes you want to bang your head against the wall!

It is also proven that most other types of cancers could be contributed from inhaling carcinogenic tobacco fumes into your bloodstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel